Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hunslet 16" 0-6-0 Saddle Tank - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

32 to be exact including some internal wooden wagons and it’s not really enough! 22 assorted 16 tonners barely makes two trains judging by the various videos. The Austerities are shown top n tailing on 15 wagons on a video I was watching on a 1 in 50. Scarily to even do a small colliery you need four sets really!

The "austerities" were very powerful for their size. The 16" not quite as powerful but could shift a load. 

Bas

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

The "austerities" were very powerful for their size. The 16" not quite as powerful but could shift a load. 

Bas

It will make a layout more interesting to operate if each loco type has a slightly different load limit. 
From that I got this on a 1in 50 as a rough guide. 

FD114F5E-5AA8-44AF-BA77-1169BB0B0104.jpeg.110675a6031998e169c99fd7b3bed283.jpeg
Of course these figures would be done for worst case so on a nice day I’m sure drivers would decide to charge the bank depending on curves and track condition to save an extra trip for one or two wagons 😉

I know when I was at Marchwood a driver got stuck in Fawley with a 37 being a bit optimistic and had to go back to Eastleigh to get a 66 to drag the train out!

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/02/2023 at 19:26, Les1952 said:

There were a lot that ran like that for years and years.  Obviously not a very hard worker as at places that thrashed their engines the front end of the loco was thick with soot and the livery became more apparent the further you got from the chimney.

Les

Another giveaway for a thrashed loco was rust on the smokebox door because the paint, and muck, had burned off.  But, yes, many were in that  state for years, because once an engine gets really filthy, it can't get any reallyer filthier, and there'e no point in cleaning it because it'll only get really filthy again.  Despite the exterior condition, these engines were often kept in excellent mechanical order and were well on top of their work. 

On 10/02/2023 at 22:27, PaulRhB said:

Just plucking up the courage to attack the locos . . 

984F848D-403A-427C-A151-87D4B49300CA.jpeg.803c6b843a2d22b67f2221841156c2ae.jpeg

I also use real coal, and it has the 'advantage' of natural weathering for the wagons.  I occasionally clean the outsides off (most are paint weathered as well), and the locos get dirty from coal dust on my hands when I pick them up, so need wiping over every so often as well, all very protoypical!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Barry O said:

Bas

ISTR the 18" 'Austerities' were rated 5F by BR, as were the big Andrew Barclays at Talywaun.  The 'Maerdy Monster' was 6F.  East Moors Steelworks in Cardiff had 16" and 18" Hunslets and used them interchangeably; sidings were mostly level but there was a flyunder between the iron ore wharf on Roath Dock and the BR line, which at one time necessitated an 0-4-0+0-4-0 Beyer-Garratt.  Top and tailed Hunslets in my day.

What little engines can do was once demonstrated to me by Uskmouth No.1, now preserved at Parkend.  We'd collected ten TEAs of fuel oil, surplus at Aberthaw, with a 'Western', and were banked out of there by a 37, for Uskmouth, 1,000 tons trailing, and when we ran into the reception loop at Uskmouth the little Peckett was waiting for us.  My driver looked at it contemptuously and asked it's driver if he wanted assistance out of the recep into the power station proper.  I'd seen what little Pecketts could do at Swansea Docks years before so kept my council.

Damp rail and a kiloton of dead weight from a standing start.  We coupled off and stood over on the next road to watch the fun.  Little Peckett on about half regulator and perhaps 40% cutoff from what I could see.  No slipping, sand used, slow, but the load was moved without much fuss; efficient effective little pocket rocket steam engine, blew off as soon as the either the regulator or the cutoff was eased, not sure which.  'Hmmph' from my driver, rude signs to him from the Peckett's, and I just smiled...

The lesson is that size does not neccessarily equate to power, which is as much about the relationship between the steam-raising capacity of the boiler and that of the cylinders, the relationhip between the wheel diameter, wheelbase, and track (especially in ruffytuffy industrial environments) and spring loading.  What a well set-up (for the particular local conditions) industrial loco can achieve with a skilled driver who knows his road sleeper by sleeper chair by chair, and has an instinct for when the wheels are about to pick up may belie it's size, and conversely what it can't achieve if it's not well set-up (springs adjusted to suit local conditions) and a less skilled driver may also raise eyebrows...  Power is nothing without control!

Industrial locomotive spring setting is a dark occult art practiced by men in overalls and flat caps, but secretly with dark hooded cloaks over them in a crypt beneath the engine shed accessed by a secret hatch in the inspection pit, in pentagrams with inverse crosses on alters to the light of black candles, the screams of the sacrificial victims, that smell of fresh blood, and eldritch Latin chanting.  Even drivers are not initiated in this Craft.

Mwa ha ha ha ha ha haaaaa...

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

On 11/02/2023 at 11:18, black and decker boy said:

Our Hunslet unboxed and looking at home on Inchyra Paper Mill - detailing and running in now needed ready for its show debut next weekend at RISEX 2023, Princes Risborough 

450AC941-E232-4FA3-88CA-7368327D2FC4.jpeg.49e62f0dddd89174766821621de5a76e.jpeg

9A47618D-83B6-4399-A336-DC31FD50908C.jpeg.776409173aee1419b6e805c59a0e53a6.jpeg

Looking fabulous. Just needs the extra handrail. The Hunslet 16" is the best looking tank engine. End of Period No contest.

• RMweb Premium
On 11/02/2023 at 18:24, enginelane said:

On Rollers whole of Ireland v France. Tried out on layout. Runs very well through points but then stops for no reason whereas the Peckitt sails through. Tested with meter and no dead spots or voltage drops, cleaned rail and wheels. How does it pick up?

If the problem persists and if it appears to be a defect then please do get in contact via the warranty form. Our test track includes Peco 2nd radius curves and points so it should run smoothly over them.

• Thanks 1

From Rapido’s latest newsletter:

“We will not be able to find out the answer to this question until ESU’s Chinese factory re-opens on February 6th. So, because the issue does not affect DC/non-sound fitted Hunslets, we have started to despatch these models. We will hold back sound-fitted Hunslets until we can confirm with ESU whether or not the decoders in these models have come from the same production batch as the Class 28.”

A week on and I’m chewing holes in my carpet. Any news?

On 03/02/2023 at 07:43, Jammy2305 said:

20230202_195914.jpg.b63c99c4af0dd7d597f366d2c4d535fa.jpg

I've got some nameplates to fit on my 'Ring Haw' but I've noticed on the real thing the left side plate is fixed over the pipe that runs down the tank, rather than behind it as per the printed name. I'm thinking of mounting the plate on some plasticard to give it clearance but wondered if anyone else had a better idea to get around this?

The pipe is overly large and probably thin fuse wire would be more accurate for it which would then fit behind the nameplate https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1819996

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 12/02/2023 at 18:55, The Johnster said:

East Moors Steelworks in Cardiff had 16" and 18" Hunslets and used them interchangeably

Didn’t think they had 16” Hunslets, though it would make sense seeing as the 48150 class started coming out in 1936/1937.

On 14/02/2023 at 09:26, BVMR21 said:

Didn’t think they had 16” Hunslets, though it would make sense seeing as the 48150 class started coming out in 1936/1937.

48150 are 18" and were followed by the 50550 and developed into the Austerity. 

48150 have a tank that is not the full length leaving the smokebox showing.  See the gallery and database on Leeds Engine (link below).

15 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Andy, or Corbs, 😉 Are there pads on the pcb to connect a stay alive?

Ta

I asked this several pages back. The answer is no. I soldered wires to my decoder in order to fit one.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I asked this several pages back. The answer is no. I soldered wires to my decoder in order to fit one.

Thanks Dave, I missed it, ok will have to find the fine bit for the iron. 

• Moderators
15 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

The DCC sound-fitted Hunslets are finally ready to be shipped, payment links should be going out this week. Thanks for bearing with us.

I had my notification for Noisy Holly last night with the link for paying the balance; something to look forward to next week.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I had my notification for Noisy Holly last night with the link for paying the balance; something to look forward to next week.

Serves you right for going to the DCC dark side then. I've had my loco for ages and been running it around while shouting "Chuff Chuff"... 😁

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Serves you right for going to the DCC dark side then. I've had my loco for ages and been running it around while shouting "Chuff Chuff"... 😁

Dear Lord Ludd of Garden Rail,

If Holly turns up and the sound file consists of you going "Chuff Chuff" up and down Chasewater on our jolly out in the freezing wind last year I shall be having words with Messrs. Hardy and Foster about standards.

Love,

Sir Sarcastic of Staffs.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

If Holly turns up and the sound file consists of you going "Chuff Chuff" up and down Chasewater on our jolly out in the freezing wind last year I shall be having words with Messrs. Hardy and Foster about standards.

Is this sequel to Ivor the engine a new venture for Warners?

Postgate & Firmin replaced by Parker & York . . .

psst i’ cuff . . .

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

replaced by Parker & York

One chuffs and the other does all the other emissions.

5 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

psst i’ cuff

You need a better speaker; it's Shhst-e-kuff

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1