Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, BVMR21 said:

If so I might ask if we could get a GWR Wartime Black Manor, seeing that it's a livery not normally produced....

Now you’re talking.

• Like 5

Hi Accurascale,

The excitement is really building. Thrilled to hear these are arriving very soon.

I have Bradley Manor on pre-order from Key Publishing however they did not have any sound versions remaining so I ordered DCC ready. I would like to order a sound decoder from Accurascale but just wish to clarify that the DCC ready version will have the same speaker setup as the DCC sound version?

Kindest regards,

Harry

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, BVMR21 said:

so I might ask if we could get a GWR Wartime Black Manor, seeing that it's a livery not normally produced....

From my research on this previously I found nine possible candidates from the 1943/4 period. Unfortunately I can't verify this as I haven't seen the photographic evidence but just a list I was given many years ago.

I'm sure @Islesy can work his magic here when it comes to it though.😉

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, BVMR21 said:

Probably been answered before but what alloy/metal is used for these models?
Just curious that's all.

The Chassis, Footplate and Boiler are cast in a high end Zamak alloy. 

The Sound config includes speakers in the smoke box and tender and all models have speakers (and stay alive and dynamic firebox flicker)

Edited by McC
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

So is this the same as Mazak?

No Mazak is a different alloy to Zamak. Hence the different name :) 

Short history version is that MAZAK was a uk specification for zinc alloy with a 99.95% purity. 

Zamak is also a zinc alloy with 99.99% purity zinc used and combined with about 4% aluminum. 

Edited by McC
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Is there any news on the manors arrival? I think the last I heard was that production samples were hoping to be complete end of April? So we must be on the cusp of another announcement?@Accurascale Fran I know you guys like puns in your announcements, what about “where are our manors? They’re here now!” 😁. I’ve definitely ordered myself some crew. They look incredible. Looking forward to receiving Erlestoke Manor, she looked incredible on the SVR at Easter time. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, McC said:

No Mazak is a different alloy to Zamak. Hence the different name :) 

Short history version is that MAZAK was a uk specification for zinc alloy with a 99.95% purity. 

Zamak is also a zinc alloy with 99.99% purity zinc used and combined with about 4% aluminum. 

Does this mean that your Zamak is better than Mazak? Because we know what can happen with Mazak.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Nile said:

Does this mean that your Zamak is better than Mazak? Because we know what can happen with Mazak.

It means that Zamak, it not Mazak, despite the similarity of name.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's actually the same stuff

The change of name came about because originally  the UK could only produce 99.95% pure zinc, that changed later when refluxers were used to get 99.99% pure zinc

Zamak/Mazak comes in a variety of compositions, these days all with 99.99% pure zinc.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chrisjwarnes said:

Is there any news on the manors arrival? I think the last I heard was that production samples were hoping to be complete end of April? So we must be on the cusp of another announcement?@Accurascale Fran I know you guys like puns in your announcements, what about “where are our manors? They’re here now!” 😁. I’ve definitely ordered myself some crew. They look incredible. Looking forward to receiving Erlestoke Manor, she looked incredible on the SVR at Easter time. 

I am sure @Accurascale Fran will correct me if I am wrong.... but my understanding is that we have moved beyond production samples.... They have been made and are possibly entering the final build phase before being air freighted.

A page or so ago Fran indicated that the Manors will arrive around the same sort of time as the Siphons, whereupon Accurascale have confirmed both of my orders will be sent to Spain at the same time. The crew will follow later.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, McC said:

It means that Zamak, it not Mazak, despite the similarity of name.

Well if it's good enough for Chinese made diecastings to go into Mercedes cars, and many others using Chinese cast minor components it will probaly be good enough for Accurascale.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 minutes ago, Harry220 said:

Hi all,

If anyone is local to the Severn Valley Railway then this weekend they are holding their Spring Model Railway event and Accurascale are visiting. The webpage states that samples of the Manors will be on display alongside information on their next steam project.

https://svr.co.uk/event/spring-model-railway-weekend-2023/

Too much to hope they will reveal an 8F alongside 48773 (which I would hope would be in batch 1....)

Is there an updated ETA on the manor shipment?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Harry220 said:

Hi all,

If anyone is local to the Severn Valley Railway then this weekend they are holding their Spring Model Railway event and Accurascale are visiting. The webpage states that samples of the Manors will be on display alongside information on their next steam project.

https://svr.co.uk/event/spring-model-railway-weekend-2023/

I'm resisting commenting on my preference for Accurascale's next choice of steam loco, but it'll be the same as that of @Neal Ball.

Fingers crossed !

• Like 3

On 28/04/2023 at 12:29, BVMR21 said:

I know that these are arriving soon, but I wanted to ask if there is going to be a second run?
If so I might ask if we could get a GWR Wartime Black Manor, seeing that it's a livery not normally produced....

All over black is a paint job that even I can manage not to make a mess of.

• Agree 3

Hopefully the next steam project is something new given that it hasn't state J67/8/9

I won't if the Manor samples mentioned will be the previous decorated samples or the full blown production samples 🤔

Edited by SteamingWales