RMweb

Have your say with Rapido

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Nowt wrong with a model of a loco in currently preserved condition so long as it is clearly stated to be a model of a loco in currently preserved condition and not one of a loco in service condition.  An example is the Bachmann 'as preserved' 9400, offered as an alternative choice to the other versions, which are tooled for the original batch with a cover between the frames concealing the cylinder tops and the BR 'production' locos without this cover, so that the cylinder tops look like a pair of barmaid’s wibblywobblies under the smokebox.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

@30801 shared the image below in another thread.

What I'm thinking is that Rapido should take the theme/concept on board, but rather than the understated elegance of this model, really turn the dial up to 11. Go all out. Some suggestions:

- Nowhere is Paddington holding QE2's hand on this model, while licensing may be an issue this really is key

- Royal purple or bust for the loco

- More flags - it should make JRM weep with joy just to look at it

- The tender should be modelled on the Speaker's State Coach, with all the ornate detail accurately rendered in 1:76 (on axles that are too narrow)

- Commission ModelU to provide accurate figures of the Queen's Mother and Princess Diana sitting hand-in-hand in an open coach, with Elton John riding behind as a courtier.

- Either "Turbotrain" or "VIA LRC" branding on a coach, reflecting the loyal service of QE2's committed Canadian citizens of the Commonwealth, in intercity swallow livery, with rose gold accents - based on your Loriot Y tooling ("Lizzy's house").

- And of course, Rapido's signature underframe detail.

image.png.b21bed83ca3da7a84514711d06098b6e.png

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

With Rails commissioning a rerun of class 28's surely the time is now right to give the conflat P's a 4mm makeover. I understand there may have been issues with the accuracy when upscaled but I think the popularity of the not quite minks show that if upfront then people tend to be a lot more forgiving.

I should say this is with the selfish hope that the conflat P's would lead to a timber P!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have been running and servicing quite a bit of stock from storage. As the models get newer the packaging gets more elaborate. Now I am probably not alone in owning perhaps more rolling stock that your layout can accommodate. Getting the stock in and out of the boxes can be a real ball ache. How about some sort of foam storage trays that would hold stock safely but offer easy access. I know there are solutions available but I think something from a proper manufacturer would be great, especially if it has that Rapido touch. Be great for transporting stock to clubs or exhibitions. And good advertising if there are Rapido trays everywhere. Of you wanted to take your new Rapido goods engine, rake of wagons and brake van to your friends house it would be great to have a handy size flight case or something. Ok so not a super exciting locomotive ( like a LBSCR L class hint hint) but definitely something everyone no matter the era or geographical region could use if made well. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mr chapman said:

I know there are solutions available but I think something from a proper manufacturer would be great, especially if it has that Rapido touch. Be great for transporting stock to clubs or exhibitions. And good advertising if there are Rapido trays everywhere. Of you wanted to take your new Rapido goods engine, rake of wagons and brake van to your friends house it would be great to have a handy size flight case or something. Ok so not a super exciting locomotive ( like a LBSCR L class hint hint) but definitely something everyone no matter the era or geographical region could use if made well. 

There is precedent for this sort of product - Kato offer such boxes for N scale, where the foam insert has push-outs shaped for Kato product. I found it easy to adapt the cut-outs for other stock.

A similar product in H0/00 would indeed be a fine thing.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Bucoops said:

https://trainsporters.com/ 😊 Very good quality.

The outers seem to be the well-known Really Useful Boxes, which are tougher than anything we should need.

I've bought several of the 10 litre size, from various suppliers at shows over the past few years. Mine hold either 8 or 9 coaches, depending on how much foam was removed.  

There's also a firm (link unfortunately mislaid) that supplies sheets of high density foam that's diced, but not cut quite all the way through. One cuts through the last bit to make custom outlines. It will thus allow almost anything to fit into the box or tray of ones choice. Something like pluck-foam in the name, I think.  

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

The outers seem to be the well-known Really Useful Boxes, which are tougher than anything we should need.

I've bought several of the 10 litre size, from various suppliers at shows over the past few years. Mine hold either 8 or 9 coaches, depending on how much foam was removed.  

There's also a firm (link unfortunately mislaid) that supplies sheets of high density foam that's diced, but not cut quite all the way through. One cuts through the last bit to make custom outlines. It will thus allow almost anything to fit into the box or tray of ones choice. Something like pluck-foam in the name, I think.  

John

Yup. If you decide you get the boxes separately they sell just the insert part.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

2 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Yup. If you decide you get the boxes separately they sell just the insert part.

This might help.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/117554-what-sticks-to-really-useful-boxes/

On 24/04/2024 at 09:11, E100 said:

With Rails commissioning a rerun of class 28's surely the time is now right to give the conflat P's a 4mm makeover. I understand there may have been issues with the accuracy when upscaled but I think the popularity of the not quite minks show that if upfront then people tend to be a lot more forgiving.

I should say this is with the selfish hope that the conflat P's would lead to a timber P!

Hell yeah  !!!!!

Best RMweb post I have seen in weeks !!!

Are you watching Rapido team ?.

• Like 2

So, here's an idea ....

We are looking forward to a beautiful O1 in the delightful fictitious 'Wainwright bluebell blue" livery.

image.png.834fa2670f7d9d2b6cb86ac03800af19.png

We are also looking forward to a beautiful little Manning Wardle. 

MWL01.png.b341cb69df827626b7037f694b9a7c70.png

Now, the Rapido MW is an L, not a K, as I believe was SE&CR 752, but what about doing the next best thing to a MW in fully-lined Wainwright green? Rapido's L in a fictitious 'Wainwright bluebell blue" livery?

20240429_172530.jpg.e79fae8bc05a97dd5ebe9462babc6b26.jpg

We could even have a poll to select a suitably floral moniker.

image.png.1e31fa65f1b6b3d7d606848ced43f63f.png

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 3

2 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Sounds like something an enterprising retailer of publisher should commission….

Apologies - off topic, but will you be taking your E1 and O1 samples to Bristol this week? Looking forward to coming over and having a chat.

• Like 1

How about some accurate Milk Tankers Rapido !  

No competition, its not that difficult.  Do two chassis, one the ex GWR/BR version, the other the ex LMS one.

On the ex GWR/BR put 6 tank supports, and put 4 on the ex LMS.   Unigate/United Dairies Cow & Gate used 'half tank straps', Express Dairies used full wrap round straps.  Then tank ladders/'climbing frames/platforms' in different positions.

There's plenty of preserved ones to look at, just be careful you don't do a hybrid used in later life for something not milk.  They're easy enough to spot, eg a tank from an ex LMS (4 supports) on a GWR underframe (6 supports), and besides, the current owners usually know whether theirs is original or a 'hotch potch'.

And beware of preservation era bogus liveries !

And ... there is a much greater Milk Tanker expert on here too.  I'm sure they know who they could consult !

• Agree 3

Dear Rapido. When you were 3D scanning the Jones goods, you may have seen all the other nice steam locos next to it in the riverside museum. Fingers crossed you scanned them as well. If not please go back with the scanner. 

In particular Glen Douglas would be very nice to have. 

Oh and there are a lot of nice Glasgow trams there if you could aim the scanner in their direction that would also be very welcome. 

• Like 4