SWAG Member's Day - 24th April 2022

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Driving through the area (Bugle, Drinnick, Nanpean) for work, during the late 80's & early 90's, my lasting impression was everything was tinged with white.

That area had long been described as resembling a lunar landscape. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Posted for discussion purposes regarding vegetation near Wenford clay dries and extracted from The Steaming 60s not by Peter Coster ...

rps20220412_180926.jpg.cd278bdb23beee80fc22b11ba8484e67.jpg

Definitely green. Probably because it was a nice tidy LSWR branch. Shocking if the WR let their clay get everywhere.

I vaguely remember seeing a part built model of one of these tank engines somewhere, wish my memory was better then I would recall where.......

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

That area had long been described as resembling a lunar landscape. 

That was the impression I had on the train from Newquay late 60s through the clay area.

Don

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

What a lovely, cute pannier.

But it was definitely black, BR didn't paint them green just because they worked on ex-Southern lines.

And they probably intended the lines to be dieselised or closed before a repaint was needed anyway.😉

John

Apologies, where do I find the form entering items for the bring and buy?

Only I have this 78cm x 110cm glass display case I am looking to give away to anyone who might be interested

disp-case.JPG.aa297b16d9a4415f82f9bbddc0dd90b6.JPG

(currently just taking up space in my shed)

Now gone.

Edited by TT-Pete
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

A week today and SWAG '22, The Return will all be over..................and this is what you will have missed..........

DOORS OPEN 10AM CLOSE 4PM

LAYOUTS.

Polsarrett- A return to 4mm by Spams with his cameoesque presentation of the North Corwall china clay industry. Unspeakably unspeakable things were done to resin buildings in the course of this build. 

Bridport Town- DLT's seminal rendition of 7mm narrow gauge. Recent changes have been made to this wonderful layout, changes which I for one  can't wait to see. 

Pig Lane- Clive Mortimer's motive power depot set, perhaps unusually these days, pre-tops and on the Oxfordshire/Bershire border and presented with the considerable panache that Clive brings with it. Clive incidentally has a unique talent. Over the years he has displayed an uncanny ability to spends ages scratchbuilding various diesels only for a manufactuer bring out a ready to run version. If you are after a really obscure diesel loco, have a chat with Clive about building one.........and in a little while someone will bring one out rtr........

Penmaenbach-Gilbert's rendition of the 1980s scene using what I would describe as an enhanced inglenook configuration. Recently featured in Railway Modeller. Beautifully weathered stock operated  using DCC with automatic uncoupling by way of Kadees. 

Ladmanlow- Normally operated from a windswept hillside in Derbyshire, we've enticed Al down from his mountain retreat with the promise of a pasty. Cromford and High Peak at it's best as featured in BRM. For one I can't wait to see the dry stone wallingage, each stone cut and laid individually by Al who is still recovering

Parkend Siding- Re6/6 brings his expansive slice of the Forest of Dean. Built to P4 standards and displaying John's considerable scenic talents to their fullest, this lovely layout proves that industry doesn't have to be all satanic mills and grime. 

Peasevern- 37114's 7mm Bristol set layout is perhaps diametrically opposed to John's Parkend. Inner city industrial meets 1980s blue diesels. Rob shows just how practial 7mm diesels can be and that  you don't need a large industrial unit to house a 7mm diesel layout. 

L'Heure Bleue-Barry Ten brings his HO morceau de Paris now in extended format to provide a bit of culture to the proceedings. Beautifully modelled, in an unmistakably French suburban setting and  supported by splendid lighting effects. Think Saturday Night Fever meets railway modelling. Al will be assisted by Marc Smiff and possibly Wenlock who is rumoured to be recovering from a discotheque related  leg injury . 

Upbech Drove- Mullie provides another gripping  chapter of his Great Eastern EM gauge odyssey. Martyn's traditional approach to the subject gives us hand built trackwork, scratchbuilt buildings and a mix of adapted rtr and kit built locos and stock. His wonderfully subdued colour palette is spot on and is quite something. 

Orchard Road- Mudmagnet and his lovely blue diesel TMD in OO. This shows just how competently the world of rtr can be combined with scratchbuilding and latterly 3D printing. This ,along with Richard's splendid weathering demonstrates just how well things can be integrated and improved upon to produce something quite unique. Expect Richard to have a selection of his own 3D printed goodies available to examine, discuss and purchase. 

Tucking Mill- Queensquare will be demonstrating just how stunning 2mm finescale can be.  I am at a complete loss to understand how he does what he does but he does it !  Now, thanks to Jerry, we can all see just what would have undoubtedly become a legendary light railway that sadly North Somerset  missed out on. However, it's not all about the locos etc. The scenic setting created by Jerry is really something special in itself and for anyone who knows it, unmistakably that of the Horsecombe Vale. 1920s light railwayality at it's most accomplished. 

Ewe- That's mine. A bit of a departure for me into the world of 1960s small diesels. Much in the way weedy trackwork and general overgrowness.............if I get it finished in time...

Stubby..........Stu will have all sorts with him including something very new and innovative......and technically damn good......As well as his now customarily scenic triumph in the form of Castell a bit of narrow gaugeary. 

TRADERS.

Lord & Butler- Peter will have a selection of stock in most of the popular scales including 7mm and 4mm rtr. Possibly some kits and a selection of second hand books on a variety of subjects. 

247 Developments - Brian will have his usual selection of goodies. Not only plates but a splendid range of detailing parts. If there is anything specific, make contact with Brian ahead of the show and arrange to collect on the day. 

BGman Bazaar- From the estate of the late Grahame Hitchen. Our good friend  Grahame,  in his lifetime of modelling in several different scales,  amassed a considerable stock of materials, paints tools etc. The will be plenty available at very reasonable prices. Buy in the safe knowledge that monies generated will go to a good cause. 

Bring and buy- A reminder to raid cupboards for those items no longer required. Seek out Aidan's post further up the thread for details. 

Catering- A variety of consumables will be avaikable to be.......er....consumed. Please can visitors bring their own mugs if possible to reduce the need for the catering team to wash others dishes etc. 

Entry is Free..........however, in line with exhibitors and 'staff', please register for a COVID pass prior to attending and conduct an LFT 24hrs ahead of attending. Yes, I know this is perhaps a tad out of step with other events but this is requested with one thing in mind...................everyone you will be standing alongside and rubbing shoulders with will have done the same and is as safe as you are. 

Masks are at the wearers discretion. Doors and windows will be open if practicable(weatherwise)  on the day. 

I think that's it. 

SWAG '22...........Put on by Rmwebbers......for RMwebbers..........

Above all, come and enjoy the day, put faces to names and ask away............

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

BGman Bazaar- From the estate of the late Grahame Hitchen. Our good friend  Grahame,  in his lifetime of modelling in several different scales,  amassed a considerable stock of materials, paints tools etc. The will be plenty available at very reasonable prices. Buy in the safe knowledge that monies generated will go to a good cause. 

May I just point out that at least 50% of the items available, possibly more, will actually be Free to a Good Home, with no money being charged (although a donation to the charity will always be appreciated).

Also, the vast majority of the 'priced' items at the BGMan Bazaar will only be 50p or £1, so please bring plenty of 50p and £1 coins! All funds raised will go to the Bristol & Weston Hospitals Charity, this being the hospital charity related to where Grahame was treated prior to his untimely death.

Thank you.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Cakes - you didn't mention Cakes !!!

Ahem..........

There will also be cake....

At least one courgette and lime cake and a Vietnamese pot bellied coffee cake. 

R

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, wenlock said:

Really looking forward to seeing everyone, it’s always a very enjoyable day out🙂

BW

Hop along Travolta! 

Looking forward to the white suit, Dave. 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Lighting added to Castell.

2041708651_20220418_1104272.jpg.1f5ca719f80bafae04e0545f1e2d0703.jpg

Aha ! 

Lighting added to Ewe. 

20220418_123123-01.jpeg.fb8a5f8c78aa9fe2a022a465513330dd.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

The multi coloured aspects to the Modulus demo layout control panel all appear to be a fetching shade of bright blue. Methinks there is an issue...

1107654718_20220418_1531572.jpg.4b55212bd023e713b63ce1f9484fb827.jpg

On a positive note, the L'Heure boys will like it.......

dancing-travolta.gif.04b574a49c38c50e8e82a2483cdecc6c.gif

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

On a positive note, the L'Heure boys will like it.......

dancing-travolta.gif.04b574a49c38c50e8e82a2483cdecc6c.gif

I’m afraid my Russian dancing days are probably over, still Al and Smiffy might be game!🤣

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, wenlock said:

I’m afraid my Russian dancing days are probably over, still Al and Smiffy might be game!🤣

The team's just back from the usual pre-exhibition get together:

Emerson-Lake-and-Palmer-Love-Beach-Atlantic-Photo.jpg.787a766f7afbf63661c78c525a35c283.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I must remember to get my hair highlights done before the weekend!

40 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

The team's just back from the usual pre-exhibition get together:

Emerson-Lake-and-Palmer-Love-Beach-Atlantic-Photo.jpg.787a766f7afbf63661c78c525a35c283.jpg

I must remember to get my highlights redone before the weekend!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1