KR Models to make SR Class 4DD

Martin_R

If most customers are prepared to accept the Fell, plus a subsequent rerun,  then after what would have been a relatively expensive retool of the 4DD roofline,  I hardly think that KR will invest any more money in retooling the cabs as any additional expenses affects the bottom line.   After multiple projects one is left to wonder why so many mistakes still occur.  

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

To me I looks like the right hand window is too wide.

Indeed that's a problem too. The left-hand window is larger because it opens outward to allow the driver to change the route code stencil. But on the model the right-hand window is wrong.

The front of any multiple unit is its face, and if you get it wrong it really spoils the appearance. Hornby made the same mistake with the 4VEP (amongst other defects) and are expensively correcting that. 

4 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

If most customers are prepared to accept the Fell, plus a subsequent rerun,  then after what would have been a relatively expensive retool of the 4DD roofline,  I hardly think that KR will invest any more money in retooling the cabs as any additional expenses affects the bottom line.   After multiple projects one is left to wonder why so many mistakes still occur.  

Because KRM do not have much knowledge themselves; will not pay someone who does; and are themselves of the 'It'll do' sector of the market when it comes to fidelity to the prototype.

If the producer is not fussy, the product is never going to be correct.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Only thing I can see is in the description on the website which says 4 coach packs

That's my understanding, so by current day standards that's rather cheap, I just need to decide whether I can live with that front end or not.

33 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

That's my understanding, so by current day standards that's rather cheap, I just need to decide whether I can live with that front end or not.

It does seem cheap for the specification of internal lighting and a motor in each driving coach. Originally it was priced 350, has it quietly been reduced in price? 

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

It does seem cheap for the specification of internal lighting and a motor in each driving coach. Originally it was priced 350, has it quietly been reduced in price? 

All the press info I can find says 350 quid, their web site does state 312.50, maybe that's without VAT? That would make it 375 quid inc. VAT which sounds more believable, although still good value by today's standards.

https://www.krmodels.net/product/bulleid-4dd-emu/

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Keith has just clarified to me by e mail that the price is for a four car set.

It's £312.50 for DCC ready, £337.50 for DCC-fitted and £395.83 for DCC sound-fitted.  These prices do not include UK VAT. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

Doesn't look too bad to me apart from the windows should be more radius, even the roof profile, it depends on how you view the original.

DD selinge (2).jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Because KRM do not have much knowledge themselves; will not pay someone who does; and are themselves of the 'It'll do' sector of the market when it comes to fidelity to the prototype.

If the producer is not fussy, the product is never going to be correct.

CJI.

Keith is Canadian. I wonder is that why he apparently has no idea of how the lights are supposed to work for a start. Then he is at some distance from sources of information. It’s a shame as he has made some interesting choices of subject.

3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Keith is Canadian. I wonder is that why he apparently has no idea of how the lights are supposed to work for a start. Then he is at some distance from sources of information. It’s a shame as he has made some interesting choices of subject.

Accepted - but, that being the case, factor in the services of some acknowledged expert in order to get your productions correct.

Would any UK resident try and launch into the USA / Canadian market without having an expert consultant from that continent?

CJI.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

As far as I am aware Keith is British by birth but emigrated to Canada.  He may be a naturalised Canadian citizen for all I know but I’m fairly certain he wasn’t born there.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

European modellers don’t like models without tyres, indeed much steam is tender drive still too.

Many of them use Märklin 3-rail systems, where both rails carry the return current, improving rail pick-up and mitigating against the discontinuities caused by tyre deposits.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

European modellers don’t like models without tyres, indeed much steam is tender drive still too.

Indeed, I've always found it odd that even  'HiFi' Continental models are so equipped, presumably without complaint from those buying these 300+ EUR models, yet they're regarded as the work of Satan here <shrugs>

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Indeed, I've always found it odd that even  'HiFi' Continental models are so equipped, presumably without complaint from those buying these 300+ EUR models, yet they're regarded as the work of Satan here <shrugs>

One weekend I conducted an experiment.

Set up an oval with spotlessly clean track.

Ran a number of different trains, each for several hours, over 3 days.

Every train was hauled by a loco which had 2 tyres on on side, and no tyres on the other side.

In every case, locos were placed so that the tyres were on the outer rail and the inner rail carried all-metal wheels.

At the end of the experiment, I got out a magnifying glass to inspect the track.

In fact the magnifying glass was unnecessary. I could see the difference with the naked eye.

Both rails had some occasional small black spots.

The outer rail had an additional feature, absent on the inner rail, which was a continuous thin smear. It looked like a very thin very fine oily deposit, and the whole outer rail was covered in it.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

So I wonder why they are still the de facto design for so many high end continental models? I wouldn't think the proportion of buyers who actually run their toy trains is significantly different to the UK, so what's different, I wonder. Maybe continental models have traction tyres from a different material, who knows.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mike Buckner said:

The outer rail had an additional feature, absent on the inner rail, which was a continuous thin smear. It looked like a very thin very fine oily deposit, and the whole outer rail was covered in it.

Did your experiment check whether this deposit helped or hindered either adhesion or conductivity?

Edited by Colin_McLeod
typo
  • Like 1