KR Models to make SR Class 4DD

Martin_R

• RMweb Gold

Back in 1991/2(?) one of the vehicles was at the Northampton & Lamport Railway. A visit was made mid week when there was no public so that we could take some photographs and details. It was in a pretty dire state then and must be much worse now.

I have a few photos from that visit, but it wasn't a primary interest to me.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The top windows in the side on view of the trailer look to have lost their upper curve but they seem to have some element of it in the view showing the trailer end...

The front end is not a game changer to me but the curvature of the upper windows are.

I suspect that it might be an earlier sample we are looking at but have no definive proof.

I shall await the opinion of someone who I respect ie Graham Muspratt who seems to see the same things as me or look at a finished sample at a future show before I decide if I can make a purchase of that magnitude.

I remain hopeful.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Natalie said:

The front end is not a game changer to me but the curvature of the upper windows are.

I suspect that it might be an earlier sample we are looking at but have no definive proof.

I asked them about that and was told that they have revised both the roof curve and windows, but  don't yet have a revised sample to show.

The sample on display was still the earlier iteration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Natalie said:

The top windows in the side on view of the trailer look to have lost their upper curve but they seem to have some element of it in the view showing the trailer end...

I shall await the opinion of someone who I respect ie Graham Muspratt who seems to see the same things as me or look at a finished sample at a future show before I decide if I can make a purchase of that magnitude.

I remain hopeful.

I had a Good chat with Graham today about all things Bulleid, as we were not to far away from KR's stand to day, and I have to say it's disappointing, unfortunately having seen some comments and jokes going around regarding KR, sides missing, copy and pasting.. its a worry because it's sadly deserved.
I am not going to go in to details but if you don't listen to guys in the know who are trying to help... plus at least they have 2 ends of this 4DD to look at you know 😅

I have a Leader on order, and apart from the only good thing the weight, I wasn't that impressed with EP1, which has lost even more bits, but very vague answers, non committed to what is being adjusted or changed, almost as vague as their newsletters. As a customer, who has concerns with what is going on, it's a worry.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

I recall that right up until the planned shipping date the Fell was apparently undergoing some modifications to improve it,  leading many to think that the body was being correctly portrayed.  Is it possible that the company is going to the expense of retooling another 4DD because of criticism of its accuracy?   I think not as the "crowd funding" finances (call it what you will) are not a bottomless pit.    Personally,  I could live with the model as shown, but then I am not in the market for a set.

I did ask Phil about unlocking the Fell thread as there has been news about improvements being made to it by KR for the next run presumably. Where this leaves those customers who funded the initial flawed model, who knows?

Hopefully the 4DD bucks the trend and it's as good as they can make it, before release!

Neil.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, zoomer1979 said:

I did ask Phil about unlocking the Fell thread as there has been news about improvements being made to it by KR for the next run presumably. Where this leaves those customers who funded the initial flawed model, who knows?

Hopefully the 4DD bucks the trend and it's as good as they can make it, before release!

Neil.

For those of us who rejected the flawed Fell model - would you care to enlighten us re the 'improvements', please?

CJI.

52 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

For those of us who rejected the flawed Fell model - would you care to enlighten us re the 'improvements', please?

CJI.

All that was in the email was this:

"We've made some upgrades to The Fell model, including some improvements to the electrical contacts and wheelsets that will prevent it from going out of sync."

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

All that was in the email was this:

"We've made some upgrades to The Fell model, including some improvements to the electrical contacts and wheelsets that will prevent it from going out of sync."

Not getting both sides in the same timescale, then - no thanks!

CJI.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Not getting both sides in the same timescale, then - no thanks!

CJI.

You can't see both sides at once.

if they represent two different periods, it's like getting two locos for the price of one.

But you're perfectly entitled to say Bog Off if you like 😁

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Michael Hodgson said:

if they represent two different periods, it's like getting two locos for the price of one.

I used to own a Vauxhall Cavalier that had different wheel trims on the two sides, nobody ever noticed...

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

.... but I KNOW that both sides are anachronistic - so I WILL get round to the Judith Edge kit at some point!

CJI.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

But they don't represent two different periods anyway because one side is a total shambles of errors while the other side isn't too bad.

• Agree 3

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 30/05/2023 at 15:50, ted633 said:

According to the latest newsletter, painted samples are due in a couple of weeks, with delivery by the end of the year

Certainly waiting on a lot of samples painted one... its been certainly more than a couple of weeks unfortunately. 

At the moment retailers seem to have more information than those who ordered originally.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

At the moment retailers seem to have more information than those who ordered originally.

I wonder if the negativity around their working practices* often expressed here has led to KR considering retailers to be there primary customer? 

*not in any way suggesting this is either right or wrong. 

Roy

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I will wait to see the finished product. I would love a nice model of the 4DD and if KR deliver will happily buy one from a retailer. I don't like pre-ordering at the best of times. I hate having commitments hanging over me with no idea when they will be cashed, I consider such a commitment as one which should be honoured. It's easy to get into a credit card mindset of ordering stuff and then one day getting a shock at how much you have committed to. If that means I miss it then c'est la vie. I did pre-order an AS Deltic but there normally are exceptions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

On 23/03/2023 at 06:43, spamcan61 said:

I used to own a Vauxhall Cavalier that had different wheel trims on the two sides, nobody ever noticed...

In my impoverished teens, I could only afford two 3-car sets of Triang BR mark 1 coaches, one in green the other in crimson and cream.  I took them apart and reassembled them with different coloured sides to form one 6-car train, so one side of the set was crimson and cream, the other side was green. That worked because the ends were black and the roofs grey, so no one could see both sides of any coach at the same time.

Edited by SRman
Missed text
  • Like 16

3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I will wait to see the finished product. I would love a nice model of the 4DD and if KR deliver will happily buy one from a retailer. I don't like pre-ordering at the best of times. I hate having commitments hanging over me with no idea when they will be cashed, I consider such a commitment as one which should be honoured. It's easy to get into a credit card mindset of ordering stuff and then one day getting a shock at how much you have committed to. If that means I miss it then c'est la vie. I did pre-order an AS Deltic but there normally are exceptions.

Accurascale have proved themselves repeatedly, whereas KR seem to be a bit hit and miss. I did buy the Fell, because I don't know sufficiently what the side differences are and liked it enough to spend on it (I like oddballs!), but the pre-production 4DD fronts look wrong, and won't be easily fixed if they persist with that. So, like you, I'm not pre-ordering this one until I see the finished product. If I miss out, I wasn't meant to have one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1