KR Models to make SR Class 4DD

Martin_R

On 24/11/2023 at 10:54, Southernman46 said:

Could someone get some good photos of the 4DD if on display at Warley please 👍

Photos (but not that good - NEC lighting is not brilliant owing to height of ceiling - and it’s only a phone camera). Note the body was partially off one of the cars as they were demonstrating the interior.

IMG_4995.jpeg.7fcc99b1082af1ff3a154f7102e773aa.jpeg

IMG_4997.jpeg.d9606e24be888804f373af719097b498.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

16 hours ago, Fishplate said:

Thanks @No Decorum . Email dispatched today. With delivery now advertised as Q1 2024, I don't want a 4DD going to my old address. . . . Its nearly eight weeks since I first emailed them 🤔

Had a response immediately saying my address was changed following receipt of my original email. It seems the acknowledgement email has gone adrift. Thanks all 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

Had a response immediately saying my address was changed following receipt of my original email. It seems the acknowledgement email has gone adrift. Thanks all 

I’m glad you got it sorted out. A good response from an allegedly jet-lagged Michael!

• RMweb Gold

Might be the angle of view but teh curve of the roof still doesn't look right to me.  Admittedly it's a long time since I last saw one in green livery but photos act as reminders of what I saw back then.  Might be me me, might be reflections, might be the angle of view - but it still doesn't look quite right.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 26/11/2023 at 10:49, The Stationmaster said:

Might be the angle of view but teh curve of the roof still doesn't look right to me.  Admittedly it's a long time since I last saw one in green livery but photos act as reminders of what I saw back then.  Might be me me, might be reflections, might be the angle of view - but it still doesn't look quite right.

From what I can see, the roof profile looks pretty reasonable (poor copy of a shot attached - v v v old Ian Allen Combined - no photographer attributed) - it’s does look different from different angles in the model photos but those with closer to front on look best (note mine showing the one with the body partially lifted). 

IMG_5004.jpeg.a0f4580c992a9b8f98656778bce7887e.jpeg

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

From what I can see, the roof profile looks pretty reasonable (poor copy of a shot attached - v v v old Ian Allen Combined - no photographer attributed) - it’s does look different from different angles in the model photos but those with closer to front on look best (note mine showing the one with the body partially lifted). 

IMG_5004.jpeg.a0f4580c992a9b8f98656778bce7887e.jpeg

That looks like Charing Cross to me, with an old 4-SUB in the background. Interesting to see a single unit working here too, but I always remember them working as a pair. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

I believe so - I also noticed the set number (though barely discernible) is in larger than standard font? 

That's how it was when first built, which indicates this is an early picture. Also the 4SUB on the right would soon be gone, replaced by new 4EPBs.  Here's a better picture of 4001 as first built and while on test.

P6.jpg.7e94625a3bd6b7a88a6c5ba9d5f1ef9c.jpg

Edited by RFS
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Though the 'new' 4EPBs might well be built on the very frames that the 4SUB had once been on, of course !

I've seen "Maintrol" records in the early 80's (all on manually updated cards) at Southern House, Croydon showing individual axles, then currently under SR design 4-EPB's, that had been in service 60+ years (ex- 2-NOL'S ISTR).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

I've seen "Maintrol" records in the early 80's (all on manually updated cards) at Southern House, Croydon showing individual axles, then currently under SR design 4-EPB's, that had been in service 60+ years (ex- 2-NOL'S ISTR).

If it ain't broke...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Are there any updated images - decorated  etc ? as the recent KR newsletter reports the 4DD "in production"

FB_IMG_1706720066064.jpg.a155d8563f0db8e0c26b89b513dd7975.jpg

This is from KR Models'Facebook page.

There are also close up pictures in this thread 26/11/23 ( top of this page).

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Half close your eyes an' you could persuade yourself it's a 4SUB .................................................................. one day, from someone, surely 🙄

I did mention to Hornby that they have the one remaining Sub in their possession. Simon Kohler said Never say never. 

• Like 2