Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Announcement: Bristol Model Railway Exhibition

SteveCole

23 hours ago, woodenhead said:

@Gilbert Did you see how they shunted the two capstan sidings on the Broad Gauge Bristol Goods?

Your pictures show a lot more wagons present than when I was watching, I presumed they were static and given the quality I don't imagine they shunted them hand of god.

I thought I could see some discrete AJ's on the stock.
Very nice layout

• RMweb Gold

Just back from a second day at the "new improved" Bristol show with the books, ably assisted and accompanied by Jerry "Queensquare" Clifford. 

This is a really good show in a venue which has definitely upped its game since I last visited it. Loos revamped I think, internal spaces and corridors looking smart and well cared for, catering provision massively improved, jolly staff serving good range of stuff in the public space on the ground floor, exhibitors teas etc in nice side area, run by nice people, with merriment and good humour much in evidence.

Had lots of nice conversations with the "old guard" and the "new guard" and it struck me that for a first venture the whole thing was going really well, with lots of positive vibes throughout the exhibition. Several good conversations with Phil, very nice to meet Bev from Warners and the whole thing feels really upbeat to me.

Lots of happy visitors and lots of traders and lots of good layouts, met up with lots of friends old and new, lots of RMwebbers and some very nice model railways to boot.

We sold a fair bit of stuff and will both be there again tomorrow....

Well done and thank you to all involved, it is a pleasure to be a small part of it!

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
may met both be
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1

I went on Saturday - last time I went was 2016!

Pluses: impeccably organised, not too crowded and there were lots of traders.

Negs: it seemed the layouts were further away than usual.  Couldn't see much detail and there weren't many train movements on most.  

I remember in 2016 there was a huge O-gauge layout with next to no scenery and a load of overgrown kids running the trains at full tilt.  It was fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

Negs: it seemed the layouts were further away than usual.  Couldn't see much detail and there weren't many train movements on most.

The barriers were 6-12 inches away from the layouts - and some had shuffled right up to the baseboard edges. Nothing different there to any other show in my experience. Time for a trip to Specsavers?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

Yeah, a problem. Too far away for the reading glasses and too close for the distance!

Apart from that a good show, but I'm not sure it was so good it deserved the 2hr journey though.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I went to the show today and enjoyed it, so thanks to the organisers and all exhibitors.

Highlights: 

The small WW1 Winter layout.

The working bicycle on the Norwegian layout.

Sidmouth - brilliant sight lines 'through' buildings in the foreground.

Launceston narrow gauge - lovely scenics and well presented information.

Karolina Falls - use of real water led to much discussion about practicality!

Banbury - never fails to inspire

Lowlights:

The Norwegian layout where, despite watching for a good 5 minutes, nothing moved except the bicycle mentioned above.  In fact, lack of movement was an issue on about 4-5 layouts where I got bored waiting for some action.

Nova cement works layout was running BR blue era not modern (I realise that is a 'me' problem!)

All in all a good couple of hours entertainment and just the right amount of 'busy.'

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Well, I spent most of this afternoon there, and thought it was very good. Highlight for me was the Chinese industrial layout, with its moving road vehicles and lineside photographer who popped up whenever a steam train passed! The dockside layout was good too, as was the broad gauge Bristol goods shed.

There was a good selection of traders there as well, but I didn't see much in the way of kits or parts from Cooper's or from Alan Gibson. Plenty of bookstalls, which I spent too much time at!

All in all a good show, I could have spent the whole day there. As it was, I left just before closing time.

Edited by rodent279

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Time for a trip to Specsavers?

Thanks for reminding me that I'm due for an eye test.

OK - I know that isn't quite what you meant in your comment.

As for the show itself, I enjoyed it (even if the debit card took a few "hits").

Of course, for me, shows aren't just about the shows - they're also about the people I meet (some of whom I already knew - through this site - through societies like DEMU or MERG - through previous dealings - or, with one exhibitor, because I worked alongside him for a number of years).

Unfortunately, some people I know were unable to be there yesterday. I hope things improve for these people - hopefully, I'll get chance to catch up with them in due course.

Apart from that, well I was very glad to get a lift from South Wales (especially with public transport between Stoke Gifford marshalling yard Bristol Parkway and Thornbury leisure centre leaving a lot to be desired).

In summary, an enjoyable weekend - and the enjoyment continues for me, with the final of the World Snooker Championship.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
The curse of auto "correct" strikes again!

• RMweb Gold

Safely back from a great weekend. There were indeed a lot of booksellers and I was one of them, out of respect for the others I only took my own (ie Wild Swan) books along to the show.

Commercially worth doing, just great to be at a show again, many more conversations had.

And very nice to spend the weekend in Jerry's company.

We did however unfortunately suffer a key equipment failure at taking down time...

IMG_1607.jpg.81bbed288f5992ccab797f0c0221e7d4.jpg

However, Jerry very soon had the situation in hand!

IMG_1608.jpg.ff76f8c8f6b1ba9317f49e451ea28306.jpg

Thank you to Jerry for your help and everyone who organised and came along to what was a very good show.

Simon 

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

Yes got to admit it was a very good show, spent a great weekend as guest operator on Beijiao, until we had a major System failure at 2:00pm today which killed half the layout.

But it wasn't really about the playing trains at a show, it's also about the social side and spent far to much time talking to people who I haven't seen for a while, and new aquaintences,  and far too much money on beer in the evening, just don't tell SWMBO 😜😜

Regards

Neal.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Great weekend at the Bristol show. Got to see lots of people not seen for ages and had a right giggle with Simon C helping him sell books even if he did try to palm me off with inferior book moving equipment - we did go for a couple of pints and have a good look at progress on his new trainset so all is forgiven!😊

CD10E4B4-9921-4666-90F4-2818E6D0C4F4.jpeg.b59e7a7fcfe43d8bd525953c34496aa2.jpeg

FCFEC5DB-0FE3-42F3-9C6B-F0DA74A2FCB6.jpeg.5652edefe31fc0995bfb2dd916e09408.jpeg

I thought the mix of layouts and traders was very good and I managed to pick up my entire, admittedly modest, shopping list. Our location was great - close to the tea room facilities and opposite the wonderful Cardiff boys and their beautiful new Cambrian layout, Pencader. I even got a personalised jar of Graham T’s  gorgeous Welsh honey.

F9297AD8-1A8C-40EC-8709-1B4494828237.jpeg.daf68f5d2255567e7280efe87e6ca4ba.jpeg

Overall, a cracking weekend

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
Edited to add that Pencader is actually GWR in the 30`s. It was at the junction of the Manchester & Milford(Broad Gauge) and the Carmarthen & Cardigan Railway(Standard Gauge). My mistaken assumption that it was Cambrian was down to the use of one of the m
  • Like 8

Must also add I think it was a very good show, my first one for over two years, my layout Fulton Terminal performed very well, lots of good chats, we where away in one hour thanks to help from Nigel, good trip back to Kent 3 hours 20 minutes, even with a detour via Bracknell, passing the EXPO EM venue on the way, due to the M4 being closed somewhere near Heathrow. A good three days, BIG thank you to the organizers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Layout taken down and into van In about 1.5 hours. Drove back to Leeds ..dropping the layout off in Barnsley and got home at 11 o'clock ish. A long but enjoyable weekend.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It was great to be back at Thornbury for my first post-Pandemic show. Attendance seemed to be good and I hope it lived up to expections enough for Warners to sponsor next year's show.

The highlight for me was Pencader with its brass domed locos, its host of panelled coaches with apparently no two alike and painstaking attention to detail seemingly pinning the scene down to a particular  year - the ballast freshly renewed on the running lines but stained and weathered on the sidings; the sleeper imprints of recently lifted sidings and the bit of curved retaining wall bearing witness to where once there had been a turntable.

Good info and evocative pictures of the real Pancader here http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p/pencader/

And a special mention for Habbaniya, Iraq, perhaps easily overlooked and really only just qualifying as a model railway layout rather than a military diorama, but impressive for its painstaking forced perspective.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Stoke Gifford marshalling yard Bristol Parkway and Thornbury leisure centre leaving a lot to be desired).

It might interest you to know that this weekend just gone (1st May) was the 50th anniversary of the opening of Bristol Parkway station. I am told that there was (or will be) a piece on BBC Points West, interviewing Mark Chatterton, author of 'Parkway Railway Stations'.

Without checking, the life span of Bristol Parkway station must be approaching that of Stoke Gifford Yard.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

It might interest you to know that this weekend just gone (1st May) was the 50th anniversary of the opening of Bristol Parkway station. I am told that there was (or will be) a piece on BBC Points West, interviewing Mark Chatterton, author of 'Parkway Railway Stations'.

Without checking, the life span of Bristol Parkway station must be approaching that of Stoke Gifford Yard.

Here we go CK!

Bristol parkway on the Beeb

• Like 2

As @AY Mod's stunt double last weekend, I really enjoyed the show even though it was a lot of hard work - seven photo shoots carried out for future magazines and there were others I'd like to have shot but didn't have time.

If I'd paid to come in, I think I'd have been delighted with the event. Both layouts and trade were top quality. I'd certainly struggle to pick a favourite layout, although Canada Street would be in contention because it's one I've admired for years. And yes, it was on the photo list.

One pleasent surprise was the catering. Leisure Centre can be a bit rubbish, but this one offered some very popular bacon butties and hot dogs (I counted a dozen sold first thing Sunday morning, including the one in my gob) and superb cake. There was a cafe in the hall, and a buttie van in the car park.

cake.jpg

That Victoria sponge was probably the best I've ever eaten. Hardly surprising it ran out by Sunday!

It's also the first time I've attended a Friday show. The 12:30-7pm opening seemed a bit odd, but was reasonably well attended. What does everyone else think about it?

Congratulations to Mike Tucker and his team for their efforts, as well as all those who brought layouts and trade stands.

Thanks to everyone who came up for a chat. It was lovely to see you, even if I was rushing around a bit so didn't have time for a long chat. Next year...

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Had a nice weekend at Bristol with my layout. Friday was a lot busier than I had expected, and a 3-day show can be quite tiring. Lucky it is a bank holiday today to recover. Thanks to all those involved in the organising and running of the event.

Referring to earlier comments about exhibitions in general, our club organises one of the larger 'provincial' shows in Basingstoke. Up front costs have increased, and new legislation and insurance requirements have increased the stress levels. PAT testing, fire safety, food handling safety, even the labelling of sandwiches, is all extra work and cost. Then there is the worry over cash handling as the amounts increase. Accepting contactless payment at the door reduced the amount of cash to be cared for, and reduced the queuing time too, but again comes at an extra cost.

We now also have a couple of 'open days' at the club each year, which are much less formal occassions with free admission. Although we welcome visitors from afar, they are more intended for local families to see what we do, and hopefully serve as a recruitment opportunity for new members.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 minute ago, Phil Parker said:

One pleasent surprise was the catering. Leisure Centre can be a bit rubbish, but this one offered some very popular bacon butties and hot dogs (I counted a dozen sold first thing Sunday morning, including the one in my gob) and superb cake. There was a cafe in the hall, and a buttie van in the car park.

It's also the first time I've attended a Friday show. The 12:30-7pm opening seemed a bit odd, but was reasonably well attended. What does everyone else think about it?

Didn't partake of the food as I had brought my own, but I did view the bacon baps on people's plates and could have been tempted if the queue at the particular time I passed was not out the door (l thought it was the loo queue but thankfully not).

The Friday slot suited me, I was driving home from Weston, and for retired folk I am guessing a nice afternoon out when it's not so full.  The overflow car park field was certainly filling up which has to be a vote for the Friday slot.  I am guessing it is also good for the exhibiters, arrive Friday morning, set up, early finish before two fuller days.

The only downer to me is the location, it really was a car exhibition.  Because I was travelling I did contemplate the train and then use a break of journey at Parkway to visit the show - but an hourly bus service and a 1 hour journey would have added several hours to my day.  That said, I can also appreciate why there wasn't a shuttle bus on offer, not sure how much that would have added to the gate price given the distance.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The Friday slot suited me, I was driving home from Weston, and for retired folk I am guessing a nice afternoon out when it's not so full.  The overflow car park field was certainly filling up which has to be a vote for the Friday slot.  I am guessing it is also good for the exhibiters, arrive Friday morning, set up, early finish before two fuller days.

Hardly an early finish - the show is open from 12:30 to 7pm!

There was a dedicated bus service when the show moved from the Bristol Dockyard up to Thornbury. Initially used preserved vehicles that used to rack up a considerable mileage running between Parkway station and the venue. The first year it even ran to Bristol Temple Meads as there was competitive venture being run in the old station area with which it linked. Operation transferred to a local commercial company after a few years and whilst the service was well used on a Saturday, only a small percentage of visitors actually used the service and the cost of providing it became too high to sustain, plus the council introduced a subsidised regular hourly service linking Thornbury with Parkway station (currently service 10 operated by Stagecoach) and hence the dedicated link was reluctantly withdrawn.

• Informative/Useful 1