Hornby 2022 - Diesel/Electric Range

AY Mod

2 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

and the cynic in me thinks new prices too. 

£600 worth of APT is going back to shop this week thanks to a blown motor.  I'd be more hopeful about the HST, but my faith in Hornby has been going downhill.  The blue pullman was a bit of a treat for me - wondering if its worth it or whether it'll be another problem child

You have to have a sympathy with the retailer - that's a fair amount of cash resourses tied up whilst the set is returned to their supplier.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Might be a stupid question but how do Rail Adventure HSTs couple up to train?  The real things are coupled back to back and pull trains double headed .   Have Hornby even considered that?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Legend said:

Might be a stupid question but how do Rail Adventure HSTs couple up to train?  The real things are coupled back to back and pull trains double headed .   Have Hornby even considered that?

In the same vein, do they need motorising ?

Afterall they've only been dragged about so far.

:D

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Legend said:

They are buffer fitted.

43484 - 7000043484-9

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

They are buffer fitted.

43484 - 7000043484-9

Yeah but how are Hornby going to deal with this . Will they install a coupler at the front of the unit . I’ll bet they are not even aware of how these units are going to be used and probably think there will be a power car either side of the goods train ………sandwiching the good old Hornby Sheep,Wagon perhaps 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Legend said:

Yeah but how are Hornby going to deal with this . Will they install a coupler at the front of the unit . I’ll bet they are not even aware of how these units are going to be used and probably think there will be a power car either side of the goods train ………sandwiching the good old Hornby Sheep,Wagon perhaps 

Maybe Hornby will fit working screw links.....?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

On 30/01/2022 at 19:38, Ouroborus said:

and the cynic in me thinks new prices too. 

£600 worth of APT is going back to shop this week thanks to a blown motor.  I'd be more hopeful about the HST, but my faith in Hornby has been going downhill.  The blue pullman was a bit of a treat for me - wondering if its worth it or whether it'll be another problem child

I'll be honest with you, for what you get I don't think the price of an APT is too bad. I mean you get a complete train not just a single loco which are now hundreds of pounds.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/01/2022 at 18:40, Legend said:

I’ll bet they are not even aware of how these units are going to be used 

I’m not convinced the owners of them are either.

They've been idle for over a year (Oct 2020 for 43484, 11/12/20 for 43480, 20/12/2020 for 43423/68 0A27 from NL to BH). last time I saw them they were dragged to Eastleigh from Ely, only to be dragged back to Willesden the next day (no space suggested at the time)… then they sat around waiting for another move back to Eastleigh for repainting… then a drag-trip to Germany and back.

43423/67 are long term parked up at Willesden, still in EMR livery, visible from tube/LO services on the low level.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 02/02/2022 at 01:04, adb968008 said:

They've been idle for over a year (Oct 2020 for 43484, 11/12/20 for 43480, 20/12/2020 for 43423/68 0A27 from NL to BH). last time I saw them they were dragged to Eastleigh from Ely, only to be dragged back to Willesden the next day (no space suggested at the time)… then they sat around waiting for another move back to Eastleigh for repainting… then a drag-trip to Germany and back.

43423/67 are long term parked up at Willesden, still in EMR livery, visible from tube/LO services on the low level.

I cant certainly tell you that the owners (RA) are aware of how they are going to be used. But, thanks to Covid delays etc, everything will be revealed soon enough. 

• Like 1

On 03/02/2022 at 16:10, surfsup said:

I cant certainly tell you that the owners (RA) are aware of how they are going to be used. But, thanks to Covid delays etc, everything will be revealed soon enough. 

that's good to hear - hopefully putting 7 coaches between them and running them from paddington to penzance ?;)

• Like 3

On 31/01/2022 at 15:52, newbryford said:

They are buffer fitted.

43484 - 7000043484-9

From someone who always thinks of the original livery when recalling HSTs, this very much reminds me more of the XPT I once took from Brisbane to Sydney!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 02/02/2022 at 01:04, adb968008 said:

423/467 left Willesden on 1st December, so if you are seeing them from tube or LO services you must have amazing eyesight.

480/484 were last moved around the same time when they were taken (by road) from Immingham to Eastleigh having spent a few weeks in Germany touring around within a formation not under their own power.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

423/467 left Willesden on 1st December, so if you are seeing them from tube or LO services you must have amazing eyesight.

480/484 were last moved around the same time when they were taken (by road) from Immingham to Eastleigh having spent a few weeks in Germany touring around within a formation not under their own power.

Could have sworn I saw 480/484 moving by themselves on a train in Europe on YouTube - it wasn't specifically a Rail Adventure video and I've looked through my history to see if I can find it.  I remember being shocked seeing two buffer fitted HSTs moving through a station.

If I do find it I will post, but maybe there was still another loco ahead of them and they were being hauled within the train.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Are you in the Hornby sales team ?

wow shoot me, that was only a month ago. I dont live Willesden depot, but tell me if I am wrong that they sat there for best part of a year+ Doing nothing but oxidize metal from water ?

Can anyone show me an imagine of them earning some money by pulling something in this livery ?

For now I remain convinced they are paid up members of the RAF Armchair squadron, even if they were dragged to a short German recon raid.

pull the other one.

i’m sure time will out, but for now £369 on a pair of power cars that do nowt, pull nowt and sit in a yard out of sight.. just isnt on my shopping list.. with or without nem couplings.

All subject to change, if they drag themselves out of their arm chairs.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Are you in the Hornby sales team ?

wow shoot me, that was only a month ago. I dont live Willesden depot, but tell me if I am wrong that they sat there for best part of a year+ Doing nothing but oxidize metal from water ?

Can anyone show me an imagine of them earning some money by pulling something in this livery ?

For now I remain convinced they are paid up members of the RAF Armchair squadron, even if they were dragged to a short German recon raid.

pull the other one.

i’m sure time will out, but for now £369 on a pair of power cars that do nowt, pull nowt and sit in a yard out of sight.. just isnt on my shopping list.. with or without nem couplings.

All subject to change, if they drag themselves out of their arm chairs.

No, I'm from the RailAdventure sales team!!

8th Feb minus 1st Dec equals 2 months and 7 days by my maths, and you are correct- they have yet to haul anything in that livery and in answer to others I'm 99.9% sure they didn't move under their own power in Germany but am happy to be corrected.

So yes, it's even more of a luxury model than the 8 coaches more expensive Midland Pullman at the moment, but I gather that RailAdventure have contracts (either won or in bidding) which will see them used; either that or they are rotten businessmen buying six power cars and two more for spares and spending the money on a works visit for them to sit idle and not earn them a Euro.

And yes, I'd rather have had a pair of power cars in Executive livery, FGW Barbie or even a 43102 Swallow/43274 EMR Aubergine pair than the RailAdventure cars but we are stuck with them, but not compelled to buy them...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

No, I'm from the RailAdventure sales team!!

8th Feb minus 1st Dec equals 2 months and 7 days by my maths, and you are correct- they have yet to haul anything in that livery and in answer to others I'm 99.9% sure they didn't move under their own power in Germany but am happy to be corrected.

So yes, it's even more of a luxury model than the 8 coaches more expensive Midland Pullman at the moment, but I gather that RailAdventure have contracts (either won or in bidding) which will see them used; either that or they are rotten businessmen buying six power cars and two more for spares and spending the money on a works visit for them to sit idle and not earn them a Euro.

And yes, I'd rather have had a pair of power cars in Executive livery, FGW Barbie or even a 43102 Swallow/43274 EMR Aubergine pair than the RailAdventure cars but we are stuck with them, but not compelled to buy them...

i’m not sure i’d admit to that myself, forums can attract all types of person.

I see why your defensive now.

i’m sure when your permitted, you’ll share the exciting news of their planned work.

And if you’ve got licensing interest with Hornby, maybe nudge them to ensure the models come with couplings, if they need them, and the right livery shades too...Hornby has prior form there.

i already have the Heljan Rail Adventure barrier vehicles ready..but no one seems to make anything to go inbetween them. 

looking forwards to seeing them active… that’ll be when I decide to buy or not. 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

but I gather that RailAdventure have contracts (either won or in bidding) which will see them used

Isn't Railadventure's plan to use the power cars in pairs, coupled back-to-back, to haul trains (sure I read this somewhere)? If so, this might present a problem with using the Hornby model, as the present version does not have couplings fitted to the front - so unless part of the recently announced upgrade involves fitting a coupling socket to the front of these buffer-fitted power cars (and there has been nothing to suggest this is the case on the basis of the information released so far) it would be impossible to use them to haul a train back-to-back without some sort of modification or bodge.

20 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

I got my copy of the Hornby catalogue the other week and noticed the description of the R30219 East Midlands Trains HST pack. The same description is on the Hornby website:

The HST fleet is now into its fifth decade of travelling British railways, and replacements for it are currently being introduced East Midlands Trains among others are marking the train as it enters its last years of service.East Midlands Trains celebrated the last of the HSTs to travel in the East Midlands with their 'End of the line - A HST story' documentary and a special locomotive 43274 is the first (and only) unique purple HST to enter service on the Midland Main Line.

The CGI mock-up image of the power cars shows them as East Midlands Trains, and it seems odd to me that East Midlands Railway 43274 is mentioned in the description rather than either of the two power cars in the pack, plus a description of the end of service of these trains - so I wonder if this is another case of the TPE 802 that was mentioned in the catalogue a couple of years back only for it to appear this year, and so indeed Hornby are planning a future pack containing 43274.... I will keep my fingers crossed... with 43102, please! :D

• Like 2

On 11/01/2022 at 05:38, rob D2 said:

Not being funny - but it's always had it , it's just not very prominent 

44C3D549-3A73-42CE-ADB8-E7BBEFFD8B7E.png

It’s always been there but very poorly executed by layering paint, but on the cab area it disappears completely, so I go along with the opinion it’s not there as it’s incomplete along the whole model.
The really annoying part of all this is LIMA managed to do it correctly, a moulding Hornby now own. 

• Like 1

On 11/01/2022 at 04:28, Katie87006 said:

agreed, I have sent Simon Kohler more than 1 email about that in the last couple of months. I also don't understand why the Cl66 got a 21pin dcc upgrade? does a model like that really need it? it doesn't even have lights

That’s easy, Hornby want to put it up against Hattons far superior detailded version, putting it in the railroad range would be admitting its inferior in detail.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 15/02/2022 at 15:56, thunderer08 said:

That’s easy, Hornby want to put it up against Hattons far superior detailded version, putting it in the railroad range would be admitting its inferior in detail.

I wonder as things have moved, if 8 pin sockets are getting harder to source.  And the allocation of 21pinz is purely down to what each production unit can source.

• Like 1