Revolution Trains announce Class 175 'Coradia' and Class 180 'Adelante' DMUs in N & OO Gauge.

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Great to see the project moving forward, I've filled in my EOI for a pair of 'Barbie' 180 Adelante's, so fingers crossed they come to fruition!

I was very excited for the 180's project based on an assumption that it would of course be available in Barbie, you just assume it would be the most popular livery for modellers as it was the default launch livery somehow, funny how the world works and what some modellers are like! Let's hope for the best as we all know that 'Barbie' is not a scheme that's easily repainted and there's no proprietary decals out there yet either! 🤞

I guess one day similarly there will be a time when those who see Voyagers, don't remember that they were Virgin Voyagers🤣

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is there a risk that the poor selling 175s in N won’t come?  Is there potential for a 321-style livery cull?  (Just because I’d ordered the FNW one)

Thanks

Simon

• Like 2

5 hours ago, James Makin said:

I was very excited for the 180's project based on an assumption that it would of course be available in Barbie

Maybe the demand in OO will be different from the demand in N - who knows! (Maybe the chaps from Revolution do)

Edited by georgeds
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/06/2023 at 18:46, Watto1990 said:

I've been loudly demanding more modern multiple units for a while now, and now money where my mouth is time has arrived! GC 180 duly ordered. 

Every time I see one of the GC 180s I think of this song! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyRZTAmcW7c

Oh and I have also ordered one!

Edited by Welly
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MrSimon said:

Is there a risk that the poor selling 175s in N won’t come?  Is there potential for a 321-style livery cull?  (Just because I’d ordered the FNW one)

Thanks

Simon

13 minutes ago, georgeds said:

Maybe the demand in OO will be different from the demand in N - who knows! (Maybe the chaps from Revolution do)

Hello all,

The issue is that for reasons that we quite understand a significant number of modellers *always* wait until the last minute before ordering.  So from our perspective it is hard to be sure of demand until that moment.

We have offered 00 models that - based on N gauge demand - we think will sell.   Those not offered in 00 are those that, in N, are performing below par so far.  That isn't to say we will have to cancel them; we would obviously much rather not, as we know it will leave those who have pre-ordered feeling let down, but if there isn't the demand there isn't the demand.

But since we would rather avoid anyone feeling let down, for the 00 offerings we decided to go down the expressions of interest route in the first instance.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The expressions of interest form mentions a Class 180 in First North Western Barbie livery (not shown), but a quick Google does nothing to dispel the notion I had that First North Western never operated the 180s. IF they did indeed run in First North Western livery, any chance of a picture?

Also, any chance of you producing models class 175s in debranded First North Western livery (as seen here - as used in the early days of ATW use), or even completely unpainted? I'm interested in having a model of a 175 but not in ATW, TfW or fully-branded FNW.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Rhydgaled said:

The expressions of interest form mentions a Class 180 in First North Western Barbie livery (not shown), but a quick Google does nothing to dispel the notion I had that First North Western never operated the 180s. IF they did indeed run in First North Western livery, any chance of a picture?
W.

Like this?

More ex-First livery, but with a Northern purple stripe. Not too sure if I ever saw a full "barbie" 180 on northern metals.

The 180s were despised at NH with only a few drivers trained on them across FNW. They were pretty much only ever seen on Blackpool-Hazel Grove services. When NH could get them to start - often only running on three or four cars powered up.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Rhydgaled said:

Also, any chance of you producing models class 175s in debranded First North Western livery (as seen here - as used in the early days of ATW use), or even completely unpainted? I'm interested in having a model of a 175 but not in ATW, TfW or fully-branded FNW.

Hi there,

For the first run we are producing 175s in Arriva and TfW livery and 180s in Dynamic Lines (GW and Hull Trains) and Crand Central.   There are four different versions to choose from, and with different running numbers too.

These options were based on our direct experience of sales in N.

Three other versions (175 and 180 in First Barbie and 180 in EMR) will be produced if enough people express interest.  If these don't make it then the chances of us producing other arguably more niche versions, like debranded FNW, are almost zero.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Rhydgaled said:

You can at least hopefully get a branded FNW unit and then remove the branding to create the model you want. It’s easier for the manufacturer to print on and then work out the best method to remove. It might work in your favour as it will help create the shiny clean paint underneath the vinyls where the lettering was?

Thanks

Mark

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, newbryford said:

Like this?

More ex-First livery, but with a Northern purple stripe. Not too sure if I ever saw a full "barbie" 180 on northern metals.

The 180s were despised at NH with only a few drivers trained on them across FNW. They were pretty much only ever seen on Blackpool-Hazel Grove services. When NH could get them to start - often only running on three or four cars powered up.

Isn't that Serco-Abellio Northern, not First North Western? I did wonder whether the text on the website is an error and they mean 'Northern' rather than 'First North Western' but if that's the case why are they saying they don't need to know which variation of 'Barbie' at this expression of interest stage?

8 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Three other versions (175 and 180 in First Barbie and 180 in EMR) will be produced if enough people express interest.  If these don't make it then the chances of us producing other arguably more niche versions, like debranded FNW, are almost zero.

Thanks for the quick response.

The way you have 'class 180 in First Barbie' listed as a single item suggested to me that the 'Great Western' and what your website refers to as 'North Western' (do you actually mean the Serco-Abellio Northern livery, which seems too dissimilar from the FirstGW one?) are virtually indentical and would be ordered as a single batch from China with the final branding differences applied by yourselves once the models reach the UK. This is why I wondered whether you might be able to produce a 175 in debranded First North Western - I completely understand that it would probably be too niche otherwise.

Edited by Rhydgaled

On 20/06/2023 at 17:23, Rhydgaled said:

... would be ordered as a single batch from China with the final branding differences applied by yourselves once the models reach the UK...

I'm sure someone from Revolution can confirm but the answer is nearly 100% no.
When the units hit our shores, they'll be send out to buyers.  I can't see any manufacturer opening every one to apply branding.

As others have said, grab the one you want in it's base livery and remove the bits you don't want.  There are also small companies that respray models if you really wanted it a plain colour.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

As has been said, we are unlikely to be offering tailored solutions here - certainly in N gauge just reaching minimum numbers required for a single paint scheme is proving a challenge (hence the more limited offer in 00) though experience suggests order levels will climb significantly once we have displayed working and decorated samples, and set a date to close the order book.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/06/2023 at 20:21, Sir TophamHatt said:

I can't see any manufacturer opening every one to apply branding.

It's so obvious when you put it that way, but I completely overlooked that the models would almost certainly have to be individually packed for shipping to the UK.

On 27/06/2023 at 20:21, Sir TophamHatt said:

As others have said, grab the one you want in it's base livery and remove the bits you don't want.  There are also small companies that respray models if you really wanted it a plain colour.

It's not that I actually want a 180*, but I'm still intrigued by the request for expressions of interest for a class 180 in "First Barbie (North Western (not shown) and Great Western)". Is 'North Western' an error and they mean 'Northern' as pictured above? And why don't they "need to know which variation at this stage" given the impracticality of ordering the two different specs as a single product from China?

* I am rather tempted by a 3-car 175 at the 'early bird' price, but technically they are out-of-era for my collection so I probably won't end up getting one so haven't submitted an expression of interest.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Rhydgaled said:

And why don't they "need to know which variation at this stage" given the impracticality of ordering the two different specs as a single product from China?

Hi there,

It's the difference between minimum numbers required for a full livery (with al the costly paint masks required) and just a tampo print variation.  At this stage all we need to know is that there is enough interest in the Barbie variants - we don't need to specify which.

Also, it's only an expression of interest.  We are not taking any money.  If we go ahead, but the specific version you want isn't offered - just don't order!

cheers

Ben A.

15 hours ago, Rhydgaled said:

It's not that I actually want a 180*, but I'm still intrigued by the request for expressions of interest for a class 180 in "First Barbie (North Western (not shown) and Great Western)". Is 'North Western' an error and they mean 'Northern' as pictured above?

I'm guessing it could either be a mistake, or a variation of the Barible livery when they worked breifly for Northern Rail, which I'd imagine would be very niche.

https://flic.kr/p/2on6G7D

(Photo from Flickr)

Edited by CazRail
  • Agree 1

Order placed for a FGW Dynamic Lines 180. Great price too - sound fitted 5 car multiple unit for £425 (early bird price) - is really a steal in this day and age... very impressive! Very much looking forward to them arriving now! 😄

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 30/06/2023 at 08:32, Revolution Ben said:

It's the difference between minimum numbers required for a full livery (with al the costly paint masks required) and just a tampo print variation.  At this stage all we need to know is that there is enough interest in the Barbie variants - we don't need to specify which.

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't realise tampo print variations were cheaper than paint mask changes (not surprising as I know next to nothing about how models are manufactured*) - do I take it that changing the paint colours but not the shape of mask (to switch from the First Group version of Barbie livery to the Serco-Abellio version) is also relatively cheap? Or would the model just be sprayed the base blue colour and all the swirly stuff (pink & white for First Group and purple and white for Serco-Abellio (Northern)) be tampo-printed?

* tampo-printing for example is a process have zero understanding/knowledge of, other than have heard of it on this forum.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Rhydgaled said:

do I take it that changing the paint colours but not the shape of mask (to switch from the First Group version of Barbie livery to the Serco-Abellio version) is also relatively cheap? Or would the model just be sprayed the base blue colour and all the swirly stuff (pink & white for First Group and purple and white for Serco-Abellio (Northern)) be tampo-printed?

Hi there,

We tend to prefer colours painted and small markings tampo printed.  Printing larger areas, especially over curves, can be problematic.  I don't know if paint masks can be switched between colours; it may be that colour contamination could be an issue.  I would not want to spoil the ship for a hap'orth of tar.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So very happy see that the order book has opened on the 180’s and 175’s!

But there’s always a however isn’t there… so apologies but however I’ve got a question or two about the liveries on offer, the GC 180’s 180108 and 180112, are they both post 2018 refurb, as in new logos and newer door labels for cycles and wheelchair spots etc? (I’m assuming 112 is as the green stripe was added after 2018) I ideally want them pre 2018 condition but if neither are in it then would that be an idea for a second batch or am I better just reworking them from the production models?

I have filled out an expression of interest and I’m also wondering if the first Barbie livery would be done for a Hull Trains 180 too? Or again if not I’ll do a rework from a GW one. I’m hoping the Northern one gets the go ahead as it was an interesting option although not a reliable one to catch!

Thanks Guys!

• RMweb Gold

I think at this stage (ie tooling) we’re not going to start talking about a second batch! 

I think in terms of specific livery variations we will go with accurate but long lasting and offering a range of time periods ie we’re unlikely to only do pre or post a certain date. 

In terms of the expressions of interest the starting point should be that none will go ahead. None of the three options is looking promising - in terms of most expressions to least we’re at:

180 Barbie

175 Barbie

180 EMR

cheers Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, Revolution Mike said:

I think at this stage (ie tooling) we’re not going to start talking about a second batch! 

I think in terms of specific livery variations we will go with accurate but long lasting and offering a range of time periods ie we’re unlikely to only do pre or post a certain date. 

In terms of the expressions of interest the starting point should be that none will go ahead. None of the three options is looking promising - in terms of most expressions to least we’re at:

180 Barbie

175 Barbie

180 EMR

cheers Mike

That is surprising Mike, given the GCR 180s are more widely travelled than those on EMR (whilst they briefly were)

Regarding an earlier point, I believe the green striped GCR vehicle has only been like that for two or three years, and certainly would not be pre 2018.

• Agree 1