Dia. AA20 'Toad' Brake Van

rapidoandy

Mine has arrived. As well as the roof I have a slightly wonky footboard, but I am sure that will fettle back straighter.

As for the roof mine was on the wrong way round when it arrived. In fitting it correctly the slight bend manifested itself. But I don't know whether the retaining magnets are at fault. TBH in doing the fitting it felt as if the roof was just a little too tight a fit. No doubt it will fettle right - I would prefer that to gluing.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Presumably there were lists but quite how they worked I don't know,   I presume that they  would (or should) have included the name of the Guard to whom the van was allocated) and his home station.  Or were they organised by name (number within a list drawn up by home station, or were any lists of of Guards' b names purely a local thing?    The 1920 Instruction implies that vans were allocated to stations and also notes that there were spare vans although I doubt if there was one of those at every location which had an allocation of brakevans.

The principle of allocating the vams to individual Guards was long established.   I have GWR written evidence that it definitely existed in 1920 and that suggests to me that it went back even further

For those modellers who want AA20 lettering for different allocations, I have the following authentic sets for the AA20 brakevan :-

Sheet BL166A - ABERAVON, ACTON

Sheet BL166B - BIRKENHEAD, BORDESLEY JUNCTION, BRISTOL

Sheet BL166D-G - DIDCOT, DOWLAIS CAE HARRIS

Sheet BL166H-L - HARTLEBURY, HEREFORD BARTON, LLANIDLOES

Sheet BL166M-O - No.8 TRANSFER, OSWESTRY, OXFORD

Sheet BL166P-R - PARK ROYAL, PENZANCE, TO WORK BETWEEN PRINCES RISBOROUGH AND CHINNOR ONLY

Sheet BL166S - SEVERN TUNNEL, SHREWSBURY, SLOUGH, SOUTHALL, STOURBRIDGE

Sheet BL166T-Y - TAVISTOCK JUNC., WEST DRAYTON

These sets include authentic recorded number / allocations, plus all other markings for the BR 'unboxed' lettering era. Each sheets also includes numerous other sets for different GWR and BR 'TOAD' diagrams.

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

Mine has arrived. As well as the roof I have a slightly wonky footboard, but I am sure that will fettle back straighter.

As for the roof mine was on the wrong way round when it arrived. In fitting it correctly the slight bend manifested itself. But I don't know whether the retaining magnets are at fault. TBH in doing the fitting it felt as if the roof was just a little too tight a fit. No doubt it will fettle right - I would prefer that to gluing.

Sorry to hear about the footboard and roof fitting, the footboard should not be wonky as it's held in 4 places. Please let us know if you would like to do a warranty enquiry.

2 hours ago, Pteremy said:

Also had the roof curve, but only on one side. I found that one of the inside body magnets wasn't attached, but was held on to it's roof mate. Re-glued in place and the roof fitted without a bend.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Talking of Tavistock Junc., does anyone know the date the shortened word for JUNCTION was started .

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

For those modellers who want AA20 lettering for different allocations, I have the following authentic sets for the AA20 brakevan :-

Sheet BL166P-R - PARK ROYAL, PENZANCE, TO WORK BETWEEN PRINCES RISBOROUGH AND CHINNOR ONLY

These sets include authentic recorded number / allocations, plus all other markings for the BR 'unboxed' lettering era. Each sheets also includes numerous other sets for different GWR and BR 'TOAD' diagrams.

John Isherwood,

John, is there any chance of a Truro and/or a St Blazey set?

• RMweb Premium
On 06/07/2023 at 15:10, Tankerman said:

John, is there any chance of a Truro and/or a St Blazey set?

Yes - St. Blazey coming very soon - WATCH THIS SPACE!

Sorry,

John.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rembrow said:

Also had the roof curve, but only on one side. I found that one of the inside body magnets wasn't attached, but was held on to it's roof mate. Re-glued in place and the roof fitted without a bend.

Interesting. I didn't have that - but in jiggling the roof into place I wasn't sure whether the magnets were acting as such or whether I was feeling a frictional contact between them. Thing is the roof itself is not bowed, so surely the bow must arise from a stress being created along the length of the roof? In your case it seems that the central magnets were strong enough to overcome that stress. I think that i will try thinning the 'ribs' underneath each end of the roof.

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

So - if I understand correctly - lucky you. If the issues are a function of particular versions then, for the record, mine is a BR 'Yeovil (P.M)'

Yes, exactly.

I know there was concern before release that, because the roofs were not fixed down, they might be prone to warping. I'm sure Rapido considered that in the design stages.

Mine seems to be OK, others maybe not, and we don't know what the ratio is of straight to non-straight ones.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/07/2023 at 21:33, Bucoops said:

Ah but what is your DN?

CN=57xx,DC=www,DC=RMWeb,DC=com

🙂

(assuming I'm not in some OU called something like Users)

Edited by 57xx
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Harlequin said:

we don't know what the ratio is of straight to non-straight ones

Well, there must be a fairly high proportion of non-straight ones, for Rapido to devote such a large portion of the pamphlet to the problem.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, there must be a fairly high proportion of non-straight ones, for Rapido to devote such a large portion of the pamphlet to the problem.

Yes, I read that after I posted.

Honestly, I can't decide if it's a reasonable compromise or a very odd way of producing a scale model...

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood,

You are to be congratulated on your choice of locations sir.  Once my vans are to hand I shall be placing an order for a couple of sheets as they are precisely what I need thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Talking of Tavistock Junc., does anyone know the date the shortened word for JUNCTION was started .

How long is a piece of string?  Rhe GWR seems - from examples I have  - tohave used at least three different abbreviations for junction in Service Timetables over the years - none of which were 'Junc'.  So it seems likely that the 'Junc' abbreviation was i used by the CME's dept and the inevitable best guide is going to be dated photos of freight (aka 'Goods') Brakevans and Shunters Trucks.

The only question then is - being the GWR - was it any more consistent than any other painted abbreviation?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

You are to be congratulated on your choice of locations sir.  Once my vans are to hand I shall be placing an order for a couple of sheets as they are precisely what I need thanks.

I'd love to do more - but I'm not aware of a more comprehensive list of AA20 numbers / allocations than the one that I have used.

John Isherwood.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

I'd love to do more - but I'm not aware of a more comprehensive list of AA20 numbers / allocations than the one that I have used.

John Isherwood.

Well a quick search will find a more comprehensive list here:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nobrakes.html

It states that 17233 was allocated to St Blazey.

If you don't believe that this photo proves it:

StBlazey.jpg.dba30a4b1b91bc21ec33f00db1b7ee38.jpg

Andy

Edited by rapidoandy
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Well a quick search will find a more comprehensive list here:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nobrakes.html

It states that 17233 was allocated to St Blazey.

If you don't believe that this photo proves it:

StBlazey.jpg.dba30a4b1b91bc21ec33f00db1b7ee38.jpg

Andy

That list is the one that I used when designing the sheets - how I missed W17233, I can't immediately explain.

I will check the list against the content of the sheets, and make such adjustments as are required.

Watch this space!

John Isherwood,

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

how I missed W17233, I can't immediately explain.

Updating the file is rare, but I do update it (it is dated) whenever I spot a new pic.

There is an open invitation for anyone to submit a new entry. It's one of those situations where I have to trust the accuracy of the submission, but that's no different to many other areas of RMweb.

• Like 2