Dia. AA20 'Toad' Brake Van

rapidoandy

Looks amazing but I would happily swap some of that interior detail for a coupling that didn’t stick out so much - this looks from Andy’s pic the furthest out I’ve so far seen on a Rapido wagon.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/07/2023 at 16:50, VIA185 said:

The Toad branded for the Tetbury branch was definitely bauxite. Can't locate my picture of it at the moment but considering its work on the branch was primarily with unfitted 16-ton mineral wagons I assume it was just an available van in good condition rather than one chosen specifically because it was fitted. (CJL)

Yes it was a bauxite van. However the Tetbury branch did have its own dedicated van with "Tetbury Branch" stencilled on the side.  It appears in all its full-colour glory on p630 of Gloucester to Swindon Branches Part 2

• Like 1

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, BenL said:

Looks amazing but I would happily swap some of that interior detail for a coupling that didn’t stick out so much - this looks from Andy’s pic the furthest out I’ve so far seen on a Rapido wagon.

Maybe about 1mm further compared to the Loriot, for example*. Of course they are removable/replaceable.

Rapido Toad 2.jpg

* Just because it's on the desk.

Tut tut, a nice framed door with internal bolt so you can keep some people out whilst enjoying the stove.

Rapido Toad 8.jpg

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Just to stir the pot up.

Rapido Toad 1.jpg

We've seen vans with basic internal detail before including a stove and basic paint. So how much further has this actually gone? Another paint colour for the benches etc. and the conduits so it probably doesn't add an awful lot more to the cost but it's pushing what can be done; that's the Rapido way.

You won't probably see some of this again either once on a layout.

Rapido Toad 6.jpg

Whatever your view on all, that it's a remarkably good model.

The interior detail reminds me of a comment in one of Terry Essery’s wonderful books. He thought the LNER brake vans gave the most comfortable ride but he liked the long bench in the GWR vans where a railwayman taking a lift could stretch out.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BenL said:

Alternatives,as Andy posts,are available ; maybe suitable Hunt magnetic ( check with them for the most suitable first )

However,a note of caution here. :   Will the fitted tension locks be extracted without undue force having to be 
applied ?  I speak as one who encountered difficulties with several Rapido open wagons. What a gorgeous model notwithstanding.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

Ridiculous lugs on the inside of the roof - whatever are they thinking of!

I have now worked out that once you are firmly ensconced within, next to the comfy stove, and the door bolted to keep the riffraff out that one can hardly tell such is the fit so that miniguard can rest untroubled. He is, however, still trying to find how to light the stove.

No wonder guards are normally modelled on the verandah as their accommodation is significantly inferior.

• Like 4

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Will the fitted tension locks be extracted without undue force having to be 
applied ?

They rank in the Goldilocks zone in the scale of  Falling Out > Easy > Moderate > Tough > Immovable.

• Funny 5

I've never had a problem with being unable to pull tension-locks out. The problem - when assembling test trains for reviews -  is usually to get the wretched things to stay in! (Not Rapido's I hasten to add but certain others) (CJL)

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

He is, however, still trying to find how to light the stove.

Perhaps he won't have to, if Rapido provide a nice flickering stove glow light for the next iteration. 

On the other hand, if we are to have all that virtually invisible detail, what next? Box vans where the roof also comes off, to reveal various packing cases of goods, perhaps some machine tools or even a hobo lying on some surplus straw, trying to get a free ride to Bognor Regis?

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Some of us have been building vans with magnetic roofs that can easily be removed for a while. Makes painting the roof simpler, weight can be added simply and it gets round the issue of an accident with glue whilst trying to stick them on. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, No Decorum said:

The interior detail reminds me of a comment in one of Terry Essery’s wonderful books. He thought the LNER brake vans gave the most comfortable ride but he liked the long bench in the GWR vans where a railwayman taking a lift could stretch out.

Terry Essery rode in them, as opposed ro working in them, and I’m a little surprised at his preference for LNER/BR standard vans, which were draughty and prone to rocking, but locomen loved the long benches on GW toads where they could use a coat as a mattress and ‘rest their eyes’.  The LMS vans were pretty good, but the doors opened inwards, which didn’t help with the draughts.  

The stoves, miniature blast furnaces, were superb on all the vans.  Perfection was the well-built pullman-riding Southern Queen Mary, which that region not unreasonably guarded jealously!  Worst in my experience were also Southern, the SECR-derived ‘pill box’; appalling ride, less draughty outside, and the cabin was so small that if you stopped anywhere the stove would grill you to a turn…

I think the ‘bolt’ on the inside of door of the GW toad was actually a simple dead drop latch.  Can’t see the point of a bolt, which would have been a barrier to rescuing a guard who had become unconscious or unresponsive for some reason. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Just to stir the pot up.

Rapido Toad 1.jpg

We've seen vans with basic internal detail before including a stove and basic paint. So how much further has this actually gone? Another paint colour for the benches etc. and the conduits so it probably doesn't add an awful lot more to the cost but it's pushing what can be done; that's the Rapido way.

You won't probably see some of this again either once on a layout.

Rapido Toad 6.jpg

Whatever your view on all, that it's a remarkably good model.

You Sir are a scoundrel.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dave John said:

Some of us have been building vans with magnetic roofs that can easily be removed for a while. Makes painting the roof simpler, weight can be added simply and it gets round the issue of an accident with glue whilst trying to stick them on. 

Totally misses the point CK was making, but heyho.

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Totally misses the point CK was making, but heyho.

Well, in fairness it is a valid point, in that access to the interior of such vehicles can be very useful in terms of installing weights, especially if you need to increase the weight of a wagon for better road holding in such as P4.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Captain Kernow said:

Well, in fairness it is a valid point, in that access to the interior of such vehicles can be very useful in terms of installing weights, especially if you need to increase the weight of a wagon for better road holding in such as P4.

..... but surely the satisfactory running of a newly-built model, and the need or otherwise of additional weight, is determined before the roof is finally fixed?

Subsequent access to the interior should then be unnecessary.

CJI.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

..... but surely the satisfactory running of a newly-built model, and the need or otherwise of additional weight, is determined before the roof is finally fixed?

Subsequent access to the interior should then be unnecessary.

CJI.

Generally that's right, but I have found that sometimes, when committing the heinous crime of building or converting wagons with absolutely no compensation or springing in P4, that some extra weight makes all the difference between the wagon staying on the track or not.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Ah but how do you know, as an rtr item, if it's going to run well on your own (hand built or otherwise) track without extra weight?  Of course one could simply stick weights underneath but that means working it around all the undergubbins.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Ah but how do you know, as an rtr item, if it's going to run well on your own (hand built or otherwise) track without extra weight?  Of course one could simply stick weights underneath but that means working it around all the undergubbins.

Ooh, I just love it when you talk dirty..

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Very true - as an avid kit or scratchbuilder; I tend to overlook RTR.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, I appreciate that the lighting is poor, but it has to be said that I struggle to see through the windows on W68740.

IMG_6636.jpg.9e8cf2d56cf56dba6194cdde8f0a1f10.jpg

IMG_6638.jpg.5ebe5b1230b0289f3bae829587657a5a.jpg

As to what and what isn't inside, I couldn't possibly comment.....

The Rapido model is however superb, no matter how you look at it.

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
he the
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

The Rapido model is however superb, no matter how you look at it.

Ah go on, put me down for one then.

One thing though, what's a RU when it's at home? 

I know what an OU is in AD, but that's for another day 😉

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

RU paying attention at the back?  It’s GW-ese for ‘Restricted Use’, that is, not available as part of the general wagon pool.  Often accompanied by details of a branch or even an individual working the van is booked to work to

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Ah go on, put me down for one then.

One thing though, what's a RU when it's at home? 

I know what an OU is in AD, but that's for another day 😉

Ah but what is your DN?

Edited by Bucoops
  • Funny 1