Hornby Jubilee HST

Northmoor MPD

Don't worry if the fictional livery offends, you won't be able to get it in your local shop as it'll only be available to super-duper, illuminati approved hyper-retailers in the superleague tier, or online at full RRP.

In the meantime, my boycott of Hornby remains strong, I'd rather take up knitting than buy this.

• Like 5
  • Agree 10
  • Funny 1

This strikes me as a bizarre release harking back to such hits as the 2012 Olympic sets. It suggests a more toy as opposed to enthusiast driven mentality at present.  

We obviously don't know the economics to Hornby.  A few extra units at a low marginal cost may help amortise tool cost / be quite profitable if they sell a couple of hundred sets.....

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, darrel said:

Why bother. If you are a serious enthusiast you won't buy it because its fictional.  

So why has the fictional APT-Es sold well, as have Hornby's Generic Coaches and the Apple Green W1....?

However, in this case, I tend to agree that is is too far off plausible, but I think it will sell well.

Simon

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, wrex said:

I'm guessing the final coaches finish will match the HST - the example coaches seem white rather than silver as at the top of the page, but could be unfinished/mockup?

It's a curious thing, and having recently admired the Intercity APT I'm not in any position to argue taste!

R30215_Platinum_Jubilee_Mood_Image Large.jpeg

I really hope the images they have used are of very very early samples for the new tooling. That cab seam running alongside the side windows looks even worse then the old tooling! Not a good omen for the new tooled HST's in general.

I don't know how I feel about this but I will say It's nice to see them mark the Platinum Jubilee further with more announcements.

Although given the historical importance of this event. I'd rather we saw another special Queen Elizabeth II train set similar to the Diamond Jubilee one in 2012. I've added the other three last one Platinum and two Diamond Jubilee Hornby products for comparison contininuity. 

diamond_jubilee_train_pack.jpg

816bddXbd9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

hornby-1.jpg

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

The LNER Silver (not Platinum) Jubilee livery is superb.

On an A4.

Sorry but it looks utterly wrong on a 43.

The coaches are ok I suppose, bit strange that they've updated it to modern disability regs with the contrasting doors - unless they know something we don't and the current LNER are resurrecting an HST for the occasion - but then surely they'd slap it on a Azuma thing instead, or a 91 set.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

i think we need to take it as face value, its not accurate to anything so no point saying it does not have x,y,z or should be like this etc . Personally i think it looks great, too expensive for a full rake but thats another story, now would i get this above the pullman set (something i have on pre-order), may as i think the silver looks very nice.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Don't worry if the fictional livery offends, you won't be able to get it in your local shop as it'll only be available to super-duper, illuminati approved hyper-retailers in the superleague tier, or online at full RRP.

In the meantime, my boycott of Hornby remains strong, I'd rather take up knitting than buy this.

well given you are boycotting Hornby its completely irrelevant to you, so why bother commenting and having a pop, give it a rest.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

Plus point - at least it is 'platinum' (or a near enough almost there colour).

Puzzling point - why on earth put LNER on it - or is there a real one coming but  not yet announced by an ECML train operator?

Minus points - far too expensive and poorly timed ('promised') delivery date for a  Platinum Jubilee souvenir (although the delivery date could be way outside Hornby's control).

Summary - unless there is a real one we don't yet know about it seems a very weird choice with limited market appeal and an uncomfortable price point for something aimed at a souvenir market.  No doubt it will appeal to well enough heeled 'R number collectors' but just how many of them are there nowadays?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A bit of "useful" additional information from the Hornby website...

Product Info

43025 was built in 1977 and has been named City of Peterborough at various points over its service life. As of 2020 43052 is in storage at the Longmoor Military Railway wearing the East Midlands Trains Livery awaiting it’s fate, it has been suggested that this unit is likely to be scrapped. Before Storage, it was based out of Neville Hill in Leeds.

43022, constructed in 1976 still sees regular service on the Great Western network, and is based out of Laira as of 2015. 43022 currently wears the GWR green livery, while previously wearing the First Great Western and Intercity liveries.

I must pop down to Longmoor to have a look!

As a fictitious set of power cars anyway - what about matching those silver LNER Class 43s with the LNER Coronation coaches that were announced at the start of the year.  Might be a visually good/interesting combination (and I might need to get me coat 😉 )

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, wrex said:

I'm guessing the final coaches finish will match the HST - the example coaches seem white rather than silver as at the top of the page, but could be unfinished/mockup?

It's a curious thing, and having recently admired the Intercity APT I'm not in any position to argue taste!

R30215_Platinum_Jubilee_Mood_Image Large.jpeg

They forgot the Chimney and the Whistle !!  😋

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, St. Simon said:

So why has the fictional APT-Es sold well, as have Hornby's Generic Coaches and the Apple Green W1....?

However, in this case, I tend to agree that is is too far off plausible, but I think it will sell well.

Simon

I have no idea why anything sells.

The one thing that springs to mind in the case of the Apple Green Hornby W1 , a fictional livery printed on a period Cigeratte card , but at least it was produced in the actual period the Loco ran. Having said that Hattons for one , still have 3 Green ones in stock and zero of the correct (bar the named version also sold out ) Grey versions.

Generic Coaches are very simple, nothing else in the period available or likely to be soon.

APT-Es ,  pass perhaps in period ish?.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, micklner said:

I have no idea why anything sells.

The one thing that springs to mind in the case of the Apple Green Hornby W1 , a fictional livery printed on a period Cigeratte card , but at least it was produced in the actual period the Loco ran. Having said that Hattons for one , still have 3 Green ones in stock and zero of the correct (bar the named version also sold out ) Grey versions.

Generic Coaches are very simple, nothing else in the period available or likely to be soon.

APT-Es ,  pass perhaps in period ish?.

Hattons will have them cos no-one else wants them and probably got them cheap off Hornby for clearance.

I blame KR Models for starting this non prototypical livery bonanza, and whilst I understand now the economics of doing these runs to help pay for limited run tooling, no such economic need should apply to a Hornby HST, except perhaps to keep Hornby financially afloat.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Tell the same to Rapido who are supposed to be the most accurate manufacturer in the world making models for modellers yet have made Intercity and Swift liveried APTs....

These will sell out immediately. 

Jason

There are still some fictional livery APT-E at the retailers. Hattons have 3 blue and grey sets and 8 swallow sets, Rails of Sheffield also have both versions (I don't know how many). This might be an indicator.

The choice of sliding door as opposed to slam door is interesting. I guess this may be to reduce the types of coaches produced to 2 (TFD and Trailer Composite Catering) from 4 (TGS, TSO, TRFB and TF). I personally think a full-length HST doesn't look quite right without a TRFB.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, toby_tl10 said:

There are still some fictional livery APT-E at the retailers. Hattons have 3 blue and grey sets and 8 swallow sets, Rails of Sheffield also have both versions (I don't know how many). This might be an indicator.

Quite a few from ebay retailers as well - including some with "best offer"...... 

Anyone holding back could get one with a few quid off RRP....

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I wonder if Hornby will issue some  Silver Jubilee coaches for my silver A4.

Which unfortunately has the wrong tender (unless you have sorted that of course). Hornby supply a non-streamlines corridor tender instead of a streamlined one.

This really is no different to Rapido making APT-Es in Blue/Grey and Intercity Executive livery. A Marmite option you can either embrace or ignore as you wish. As such it's depressing to see it become yet another lightning rod about Hornby issues. 

• Agree 5

40 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Quite a few from ebay retailers as well - including some with "best offer"...... 

Anyone holding back could get one with a few quid off RRP....

And given there were "only" 200 of each made IIRC, I do wonder how popular they actually are.

41 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Which unfortunately has the wrong tender (unless you have sorted that of course). Hornby supply a non-streamlines corridor tender instead of a streamlined one.

I'm fairly sure Hornby have provided the correct streamlined tender on all of the Silver A4s they've done since they retooled them (R2965/3306/7/8/9) apart from the Railroad train pack released a few years ago. You can tell it's the streamlined one from the lack of beading and the bowed rear end.

45 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

I'm fairly sure Hornby have provided the correct streamlined tender on all of the Silver A4s they've done since they retooled them (R2965/3306/7/8/9) apart from the Railroad train pack released a few years ago. You can tell it's the streamlined one from the lack of beading and the bowed rear end.

They do have the Streamlined Front Fairing.  they also moulded the Curved Rear unique to the Silver locos.

Hornby should have fitted another Fairing across the top of the  Water Filler Area as well. Surprising it was ignored, as a whole new tool still had to been made for only the Silver Locos. I believe the rear Fairings were removed quite quickly , no idea what livery they were in, at that time.

Edited by micklner