Hornby Jubilee HST

Northmoor MPD

• RMweb Premium

So according to the Beyond the Buffers podcast it is the new tooling of the HST.

Around 48:40 it is mentioned by Carl, almost as an aside following a longer discussion of the changes that have been made to the tooling.

It is also the sliding door version of the Mk3 which Simon Kohler mentions earlier in the same podcast as he imagined a continuation of the LNER beyond nationalisation.

Edited by guspaul
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if the design and marketing at Hornby have regressed seventy years to when the Dublo N2 tank sported fictitious liveries for the GWR, SR and LMS? 

However the Jubilee HST isn't a bread and butter model but a souvenir trinket and after the weekend when all the flag waving is done who in all honesty is going to stump big bucks for commemorative tat?

Didn't Hornby come unstuck with Olympic memorabilia in 2012?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 30/05/2022 at 13:05, TomScrut said:

I wonder how many of each of the coaches they have ordered for this? I reckon it will be a very difficult one to gauge and that once the power cars are gone any leftover coaches may be forever on the shelf.

Kernow MRC posted on Facebook saying that they had a very limited number of these models and would be selling the Power Cars and coaches as a complete set only. They also invited purchasers to contact them by phone - they would not available via their website.

Selling as a set risks you sell nothing, but at least don't get left with unsold coaches with the PCs sold out. I wonder if other retailers will do the same.

• Informative/Useful 3

On 30/05/2022 at 20:58, Steamport Southport said:

Does it matter as long as they make a profit from them? They'll sell eventually.

It seems strange that anything that doesn't sell out in five minutes is deemed a failure yet years ago most model shops had the same boxes on the shelves for years.

In the case of some items it was decades. I remember there was old, but unused Hornby Dublo and Triang locomotives still in Hattons in the mid 1980s. That was typical.

It's a sign of the times unfortunately and doesn't just apply to model railways; alongside the accompanying "I must have it and I must have it now" mindset...  It's all quite unhealthy really.  😶

On 02/06/2022 at 09:03, Neil said:

However the Jubilee HST isn't a bread and butter model but a souvenir trinket and after the weekend when all the flag waving is done who in all honesty is going to stump big bucks for commemorative tat?

Without wishing to be a Negative Nancy, I sincerely hope that there aren't any unexpected production delays!  Haven't some of the existing range been shifted back until 2023 release dates...   😬🥴

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Premium

I can't put my finger on it but this is somehow a lot more offensive than the P2 what if's and the Rapido APT-E in B/G and IC.

Each to their own but I can't see this selling well.

I do have the Taw Valley on order though. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, eldomtom2 said:

The difference to my eyes is that the APT-Es and W1s are at least semi-plausible what ifs. This is not.

To my eyes, I think it's a great idea (Ive ordered) and super memento of a special celebration. Pays homage to the LNER. Now where is my 171 Turbostar in Southern livery............ 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

The difference to my eyes is that the APT-Es and W1s are at least semi-plausible what ifs. This is not.

Given all the 'celebrity locos' that have appeared in real life (inc. the LNER farewell tour which even went as far as a full rake of matching coaches), and the fact that the purple Taw Valley does exist out on the 1:1 railway, I'd say this what-if is also semi-plausible. Apart from the fact LNER doesn't have any IC125s left (and none of them were sliding door fitted) it's the sort of thing that might have happened - in fact when I first saw the picture on the Hornby website I wondered whether an XC set had been treated for the Jubilee and Hornby had put it into model form.

• Agree 1

On 05/06/2022 at 02:07, YesTor said:

It's a sign of the times unfortunately and doesn't just apply to model railways; alongside the accompanying "I must have it and I must have it now" mindset...  It's all quite unhealthy really.  😶

Without wishing to be a Negative Nancy, I sincerely hope that there aren't any unexpected production delays!  Haven't some of the existing range been shifted back until 2023 release dates...   😬🥴

I'm more interested in what items originally scheduled for this year hsve been pushed back to 2023 to allow production of this model. 

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Trevor Hammond said:

I'm more interested in what items originally scheduled for this year hsve been pushed back to 2023 to allow production of this model. 

I don't think that many, if you see that all new HST's are about to come around the same time. Since it's a 'what-if', also no need to change tooling or so. I don't model diesel trains (otherwise this would be on my list!), but I imagine there will be some changes made over the years on the Class 43? So it will be more a case of making more of the same tooling, or even the same numbers if pre-sales were less than predicted, and just adding a new paint scheme.

On 04/06/2022 at 20:04, adb968008 said:

I hope that seamline between the cab front and bodyside drivers side window  from the nose to the roof is just a poor EP and not representative of the tooling.

100% agree on that! For me that’s a deal breaker with the existing tooling. I really hope something that obvious, that impedes the look of that iconic front is fixed...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, ac1874 said:

Anyone got one yet?

The livery imo is actually very good, and is worthy of a dining train offering on the real thing, should someone want to go head to head against the Midland Pullman set.

But as it stands i’m not sure its in my A-List for wants, but its interesting none the less.

If theres a cheaper one, and ive a cash window, i’d consider one, and “bring it up” to National Rail acceptence spec (OHLE flashes, Yellow panel / headlight etc).

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

A few things to note.

1) The livery is actually very nice.

2) Strange decision to not include any warning flashes etc. This may be from an alternative reality, but it is a reality where health and safety doesn't exist.

3) Melted forehead.

4) Mould mark that looks like a moustache above the horn grill (present on both power and dummy)

Overall it is quite nice and you can see the minor tweaks to the exterior of the HST. The exhaust baffles and light bar/horn grill are fitted OK on mine but suspect this is where people will see problems with QC.

Edited by ac1874

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, ac1874 said:

A few things to note.

1) The livery is actually very nice.

2) Strange decision to not include any warning flashes etc. This may be from an alternative reality, but it is a reality where health and safety doesn't exist.

3) Melted forehead.

4) Mould mark that looks like a moustache above the horn grill (present on both power and dummy)

Overall it is quite nice and you can see the minor tweaks to the exterior of the HST. The exhaust baffles and light bar/horn grill are fitted OK on mine but suspect this is where people will see problems with QC.

Are you able to post some pics of the set when you get a chance please?

• RMweb Premium

It's outrageous and I love it

Special guest appearance on Beasley Street with HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.

With something special for those who like their works of fiction to stand side by side.

IMG_20221203_150151.jpg

IMG_20221203_150440.jpg

IMG_20221203_151330.jpg

IMG_20221203_151529.jpg

Edited by GraemeWatson
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/12/2022 at 23:04, GraemeWatson said:

Special guest appearance on Beasley Street with HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.

With something special for those who like their works of fiction to stand side by side.

From photos, the coaches seem to come with large D-type couplings, is that the case?

Ref: https://www.hattons.co.uk/904696/hornby_r40356_mk3_tcc_trailer_compsite_catering_in_hm_queen_elizabeth_ii_platinum_jubilee_lner/stockdetail

Edited by toby_tl10

• RMweb Gold

have to say i've seen the loco and rolling stoke at two different shows recently and each time i walk thinking they are stunning. I then remind my self its between this set and the Pullman which does actually exist, not both and so i keep my pre-order for the pullman.

you could argue that in 3-4 months time i this will be discounted and so gives better value for money, time will tell though.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, toby_tl10 said:

From photos, the coaches seem to come with large D-type couplings, is that the case?

Ref: https://www.hattons.co.uk/904696/hornby_r40356_mk3_tcc_trailer_compsite_catering_in_hm_queen_elizabeth_ii_platinum_jubilee_lner/stockdetail

Looks like it’s the large couplings but they are in NEM pockets so no issues swapping them. Perhaps Hornby supply both with the coaches?

• RMweb Gold
On 03/12/2022 at 15:04, GraemeWatson said:

Loving the name of your layout. Did Dr John have a hand in it?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 96701 said:

Loving the name of your layout. Did Dr John have a hand in it?

Absolutely.

My wife and I are both longtime followers of The Bard of Salford and have seen him live on many occasions.

He's a refreshing window to the past who has stood the test of time.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Beasley Street is my favourite JCC poem, although I have learned the one that begins "Like a night club in the morning" and was lucky enough to meet him after his London Palladium gig. Sorry Off Topic

• Like 1