Hornby Jubilee HST

Northmoor MPD

It would be better if they got their outstanding models sorted ie Std Class 2, than bring yet another fictional model out. Strange marketing policy but I guess that the Chinese manufacturing is in such a Covid mess making anything to sell is paramount.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

So is it the retooled HST & MK3s or the Lima tooling?

Edit: 8Pin DCC socket so I assume the old tooling.  Quite the price then!

Edited by guspaul
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, guspaul said:

Judging by the price I’d say it’s the full fat retooled HST.

4 minutes ago, guspaul said:

But has the kinematic couplers on the power car illustrations so who knows?

Definitely not for me, but then again the fictional liveries on other stuff already out there wasn't either (I don't see the appeal).

I expect it will sell though.

• Agree 1

I suspect it'll either sell out very fast or end up in the bargain bins. It'll be interesting to watch.

I would have preferred if they had just produced one fictional jubilee loco and used the spare capacity to produce something that people actually want. We are still crying out for more XC power cars to run with all those SD coaches that ended up in the bargain bins last year.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, scottrains29 said:

I suspect it'll either sell out very fast or end up in the bargain bins. It'll be interesting to watch.

I would have preferred if they had just produced one fictional jubilee loco and used the spare capacity to produce something that people actually want. We are still crying out for more XC power cars to run with all those SD coaches that ended up in the bargain bins last year.

If it sells out then it is something people want (even if it's not something they may have thought of beforehand).

But I do agree in principle, and we always seem to end up with a shortage of HST power cars C's coaches. They spew LNER mk3s out yet as far as I am aware there has only been 1 LNER release? 1 VTEC and the NRM40 pack could also work but there seems to have been loads of coaches vs power cars regardless of this.

I wonder how many of each of the coaches they have ordered for this? I reckon it will be a very difficult one to gauge and that once the power cars are gone any leftover coaches may be forever on the shelf.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

Everyone is talking about "capacity", but what seems to be forgotten all the time is that the vendors that are making the 2MT, and other delayed items, may not be the same ones as the ones making the HST. If Vendor A is rammed with work, but you've already agreed the contract with them for your 2MT's, for example, then you're stuffed. If, however, Vendor B has space, and the toolings for the HST, things can be achieved far more quickly....

• Agree 9

Why bother. If you are a serious enthusiast you won't buy it because its fictional. If your just Joe public and wanting a souvenir of the jubilee its way too expensive. 

If they had used the limby class 47 and done it as one of the Stratford locos with the union Jack. Or royal train livery. Or the class 67 in Royal train livery. You would have sold a lot more. Maybe some mkIII and mkII in royal train livery. (Yes the windows are not correct) you would have sold a few. 

This though is a waste of time and money.

• Like 2
  • Agree 16

While this doesn't have the same appeal, I would say the repainted Taw Valley selling out in model form in a few hours proves there is some kind of demand there for Jubilee models. Maybe those that missed out on that (even after the increase) or more modern image modellers who aren't as strict may consider this an an alternative. 

• Like 1

Given you can buy individually, it'll be interesting to see if there are any unsold coaches and what happens to them.   

The complete set works out at around £730, which (to me) would suggest they would have been better to sell it as a set, thus getting over the headline figure of £370 for the power cars, which on facebook, is turning people off.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Definite bargain bin material .

Too expensive a souvenir for casual momento buyer. I doubt enthusiasts will race to buy a fictional livery.  Taw Valley is an actual loco livery (at least in short term , hopefully) and it is also self contained , no need to buy rolling stock . 

As darrel pointed out , a Stratford Union Jack 47 , prepared for the '77 Silver Jubilee would have sold more. A nice self contained momento that enthusiasts could use .  You do wonder who came up with this . 

• Agree 10

Pointless exercise , not available till the Autumn. Before the Jubilee date might?  have made slightly attractive to a few buyers. Months late for a nonsense model of somthing that never existed , the bargain bin awaits !!

Waste of a production slot yet again,  by Hornby.

Edited by micklner
  • Agree 10

4 minutes ago, micklner said:

Pointless exercise , not available till the Autumn. Before the Jubilee date might?  have made slightly attractive to a few buyers.

It depends. How many people will be buying it for its association with the jubilee? I thought most would be just keen on a HST in an imaginary retro livery.

IF the market is to do with the jubilee I think you're right, should be sat on a shelf in Margate waiting to ship for maximum impact. I just aren't sure that's the market.

12 minutes ago, Legend said:

I doubt enthusiasts will race to buy a fictional livery. 

As far as I am aware, the fictional W1s weren't a disaster, and Rapidos HST and IC liveried APT-Es weren't either.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

For a "Jubilee" train the thought behind the livery seems a bit stupid, plus the LNER would have done a far better job than what is being offered.

If you wanted to produce a Jubilee HST surely you go for purple power cars with the 70th logo thingy and silver coaches with purple doors?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, darrel said:

Why bother. If you are a serious enthusiast you won't buy it because its fictional. If your just Joe public and wanting a souvenir of the jubilee its way too expensive. 

If they had used the limby class 47 and done it as one of the Stratford locos with the union Jack. Or royal train livery. Or the class 67 in Royal train livery. You would have sold a lot more. Maybe some mkIII and mkII in royal train livery. (Yes the windows are not correct) you would have sold a few. 

This though is a waste of time and money.

Tell the same to Rapido who are supposed to be the most accurate manufacturer in the world making models for modellers yet have made Intercity and Swift liveried APTs....

These will sell out immediately. 

Jason

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

Just now, SteamingWales said:

For a "Jubilee" train the thought behind the livery seems a bit stupid, plus the LNER would have done a far better job than what is being offered.

If you wanted to produce a Jubilee HST surely you go for purple power cars with the 70th logo thingy and silver coaches with purple doors?

It's the LNER Silver Jubilee livery. Just not on an A4.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

It's the LNER Silver Jubilee livery. Just not on an A4.

Jason

It is not even correct for the LNER livery, e.g the original Coaches never had Blue doors at any time.

This is probably coming out at about the same time as the LNER genuine appearance Coronation Set as well = ouch !!.

https://www.themodelcentre.com/r30215?mc_cid=740f1193b8&mc_eid=c399cc376a

Not for me personally, I wonder if it’s linked to the success of the ‘Taw valley’ release ( as mentioned above at least taw valley is based of a real loco). 

it’s priced out of the reach of the ‘ joe public’ customer base range, it’s either going to sell well or end up as bargain bin material. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I think it's an interesting and imaginative exercise in "what if", and I can see it appealing to some sectors of the market, particularly collectors, as it actually looks quite good (glad they didn't put yellow ends on it!).   

By the same token, I can also see why other sectors of the market will be avoiding it like the plague - some people just can't abide neverwazza liveries, even though there does seem to be a bit of a fad for them at the moment.  There will always be people who think that their particular interest would have been a better use of the manufacturing slot / body shells.  

It will be interesting to see how well it sells, but agree that it would probably do significantly better if it was available now rather than as a pre-order! 

Personally, If I hadn't already sated my need for a Jubilee memento by ordering the (temporarily) defiled West Country then I would have seriously considered buying a Jubilee HST...

• Like 2

Just now, micklner said:

It is not even correct for the LNER livery, e.g the original Coaches never had Blue doors at any time.

This is probably coming out at about the same time as the LNER genuine appearance Coronation Set as well = ouch !!.

https://www.themodelcentre.com/r30215?mc_cid=740f1193b8&mc_eid=c399cc376a

But if they did paint one now they need to have doors of a different colour so it's an acceptable compromise. 

Not for me, but I do like it. Pity the modern LNER hasn't done one IRL.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Fireline said:

Everyone is talking about "capacity", but what seems to be forgotten all the time is that the vendors that are making the 2MT, and other delayed items, may not be the same ones as the ones making the HST. If Vendor A is rammed with work, but you've already agreed the contract with them for your 2MT's, for example, then you're stuffed. If, however, Vendor B has space, and the toolings for the HST, things can be achieved far more quickly....

And just right now Hornby need every bit of new arrival they can get their hands on as stock levels are depleted. An identical piece of marketing to Lilac Lil,aka WC “70”. .Lets please not get overheated about it. If this sells,ultimately it’s in the best interest of Hornby’s,even if some for some of us it gives the gripes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm guessing the final coaches finish will match the HST - the example coaches seem white rather than silver as at the top of the page, but could be unfinished/mockup?

It's a curious thing, and having recently admired the Intercity APT I'm not in any position to argue taste!

R30215_Platinum_Jubilee_Mood_Image Large.jpeg