Hornby Jubilee HST

Northmoor MPD

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I blame KR Models for starting this non prototypical livery bonanza, 

Why? It’s not their fault. Hornby has been doing it for years. Anyone remember Lord Westwood?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

This really is no different to Rapido making APT-Es in Blue/Grey and Intercity Executive livery. A Marmite option you can either embrace or ignore as you wish. As such it's depressing to see it become yet another lightning rod about Hornby issues. 

Rapido website (by filling up basket to max quantity) reports 60 Blue/Grey and 50 Swallow's left in stock. Rails/Hattons/Kernow show a respective total of 14 and 21 in stock. ~35% remaining. Will be interesting to see if Hornby sell out quicker.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Does it matter as long as they make a profit from them? They'll sell eventually.

It seems strange that anything that doesn't sell out in five minutes is deemed a failure yet years ago most model shops had the same boxes on the shelves for years.

In the case of some items it was decades. I remember there was old, but unused Hornby Dublo and Triang locomotives still in Hattons in the mid 1980s. That was typical.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JamieR4489 said:

I'm fairly sure Hornby have provided the correct streamlined tender on all of the Silver A4s they've done since they retooled them (R2965/3306/7/8/9) apart from the Railroad train pack released a few years ago. You can tell it's the streamlined one from the lack of beading and the bowed rear end.

Happy to be proved wrong, but it doesn't look like it - Best picture I could find was on Hattons for R2965:

R2965_27501_Qty1_ruler.jpg

There should be fairings over the top at the front and back :)

Edited by Bucoops
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Happy to be proved wrong, but it doesn't look like it - Best picture I could find was on Hattons for R2965:

R2965_27501_Qty1_ruler.jpg

There should be fairings over the top at the front and back :)

Ah, I see what you mean now. I've always thought that the 1935 tenders were called streamlined ones to differentiate them from the 1928 ex-A1 tenders even after they had the fairings removed in early 1938 (the 1928 tenders also had these fairings fitted when transferred to the A4s, see Hornby's W1, but again they were removed in '38). Hornby never bothered to model the fairings but the tender itself is still the 1935 type (also built for 4491-7 in 1937)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, toby_tl10 said:

The choice of sliding door as opposed to slam door is interesting. I guess this may be to reduce the types of coaches produced to 2 (TFD and Trailer Composite Catering) from 4 (TGS, TSO, TRFB and TF). I personally think a full-length HST doesn't look quite right without a TRFB.

Maybe they are going to respray some of the vast reserves of Cross Country liveried MK3 SDs that are knocking about to try to sell them this way? 😁

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Is it just me thinking the missed opportunity here was a Class 345 for the Elizabeth line ?

Hornby doing something up-to-date?

Are you dreaming man?

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Hornby doing something up-to-date?

Are you dreaming man?

but it is purple.. and that seems to be the rage these days.

😀

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

but it is purple.. and that seems to be the rage these days.

😀

But it's modern, so that's a "we don't care" from Hornby.

And they'll just get the colour wrong.

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

So I’ve been thinking about this model since it’s announcement, something just doesn’t sit right with the Livery on the Power cars. 

Don’t get me wrong usually I’m a sucker when it comes to weird and unusual Liveries, however this livery is doing nothing for me and I Think I’ve recently figured out why… 

I can’t help but think the livery would suit an Azuma (800/2)set more then the HST, let’s think about this for a second;

when you look at the vinyls on an Azuma Driving car they already have Red / silver vinyls which almost Mimic the Parabolic curve of the A4s running Board… 

6B47AD57-9590-4862-B2E6-5CFBCAA9FC9C.jpeg.a03144adff0c58f2be57f4f835f6a752.jpeg

I think the Platinum Jubilee Livery could almost complement the body shape of the Driving coach (If done correctly). I’m not sure a full unit would suit the Livery, however, with 5 coaches in a train pack this would almost certainly be cheaper ( for the customer) then a ‘prototypical length’ HST set… 

My first thought is why aren’t they using one of their Newest toolings, then I remembered, The HSTs are of course being re-tooled…

while this isn’t my Photograph and I’ll remove if required, this comes from the Train sim community ( Blast Pipe Productions) and shows a Fictional but almost believable ‘ homage’ Livery used to good effect on an Azuma…

0805932C-3ACB-4119-BE7C-AC510C661F73.jpeg.d08a5f5b2c79bb08f0f69efc7fa60e0b.jpeg

While I wish Hornby well with this release It’s not something I’ll be Picking up ( I’ve now gone fully to N gauge and of course funds are rather Tight at the minute). 

Edited by jamie.dunn
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Problem is unlike the HST the Azuma is not a British icon on the Elizabethan Era.

The HST probably sums up the best of British engineering of the last 70 years and definitely has it's place among British transport icons such as Aston Martins, Minis, taxis and red London buses.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

20 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

The HST probably sums up the best of British engineering of the last 70 years and definitely has it's place among British transport icons such as Aston Martins, Minis, taxis and red London buses.

Are you sure you're not talking about Pacers? 🤪

• Funny 10

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Are you sure you're not talking about Pacers? 🤪

Without Pacers there simply wouldn't be a railway system in the UK.

They saved BR when BR was virtually bankrupt and was due to have most of the lines closed to save money. If people can't see how important they were to the history of railways then they are blinkered.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

20 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Does it matter as long as they make a profit from them? They'll sell eventually.

It seems strange that anything that doesn't sell out in five minutes is deemed a failure yet years ago most model shops had the same boxes on the shelves for years.

In the case of some items it was decades. I remember there was old, but unused Hornby Dublo and Triang locomotives still in Hattons in the mid 1980s. That was typical.

Jason

Yes I remember in the late 1990's until the early 2000s seeing Hornby products still being sold in retailers some of which dated back to the 1980s. It was old/new shop stock. In 2006 I remember seeing an old new shop stock of an early1990s Scalextric set still on the shelf of the model shop. I'm sure people will want to buy it I doubt anything new products are deemed a favour there will always be a market for these fictional or not. 

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Without Pacers there simply wouldn't be a railway system in the UK.

They saved BR when BR was virtually bankrupt and was due to have most of the lines closed to save money. If people can't see how important they were to the history of railways then they are blinkered.

I agree, whilst my comment was tongue in cheek, they were very important nonetheless. The question as to whether they were an engineering achievement or simply a good idea is another matter altogether.

• Agree 3

21 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The other important factor here is who's shelf does it sit on?

If it's a retailers shelf it's not Hornbys problem anyway.

The interesting thing in my opinion is that when Hornby increased their prices across the board they could have omitted some clingers on such as the 71s (given they are from a time before the COVID/Ever Given/whatever other reason cost increases). Given they chose not to, they must be reasonably happy to hold onto however many they have. A lot of the old stock, at old RRP would look good value nowadays I think. I also think that's why there isn't that much of pre COVID stuff left with retailers with comprehensive websites.

On 30/05/2022 at 15:41, Not Captain Kernow said:

A bit of "useful" additional information from the Hornby website...

Product Info

43025 was built in 1977 and has been named City of Peterborough at various points over its service life. As of 2020 43052 is in storage at the Longmoor Military Railway wearing the East Midlands Trains Livery awaiting it’s fate, it has been suggested that this unit is likely to be scrapped. Before Storage, it was based out of Neville Hill in Leeds.

43022, constructed in 1976 still sees regular service on the Great Western network, and is based out of Laira as of 2015. 43022 currently wears the GWR green livery, while previously wearing the First Great Western and Intercity liveries.

I must pop down to Longmoor to have a look!

It's at Leicester, having seen use with the DATS test train. 

AFAIK, Longmoor hasn't been used for storage recently.

• RMweb Gold

43022 is at GWR in service.

43052 several sites suggest its at DATS Leicester since 2020.

photo here (Flickr url)

https://www.125group.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/fleetlist12012022.pdf

I wonder the choice of numbers too, given it is whatiffery maybe one car as 1952 and one as 2022 ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I wonder the choice of numbers too, given it is whatiffery maybe one car as 1952 and one as 2022 ?

I think it is, it is mentioned as such in the latest edition of The Engine Shed. 

'These models are supplied with re-purposed destination boards commemorating the Platinum Jubilee on top of a striking double silver and blue livery. Each coach number follows the same format, ER0052 through to ER0022, standing of course for Elizabeth Regina followed by the year of her Coronation and each Jubilee that followed. The locomotive numbers also adhere to this pattern, 43052 and 43022.'

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 01/06/2022 at 06:24, Johan DC said:

I think it is, it is mentioned as such in the latest edition of The Engine Shed. 

'These models are supplied with re-purposed destination boards commemorating the Platinum Jubilee on top of a striking double silver and blue livery. Each coach number follows the same format, ER0052 through to ER0022, standing of course for Elizabeth Regina followed by the year of her Coronation and each Jubilee that followed. The locomotive numbers also adhere to this pattern, 43052 and 43022.'

Hornby clangs again! The jubilee is of her accession to the throne in 1952. Her coronation was in 1953.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

From a personal view, the livery suits the HST power cars but the way that is has been imagined on the mk3's does not work to my eyes. 

• Agree 1