British outline 1:120 TT from Heljan

Tartaruga

1 hour ago, luke_stevens said:

Heljan's model is scheduled for "Oct 23 - Dec 23".

image.png.3023874ccb929ddb7a18fe958297aae2.png

The 31 is part of phase 3&4 rather than the "sometime" like the 67 & 73.

image.png.a36283fac0df73378ded1e12360a846d.png

My worry is that Hornby's Stage 3 & 4  "2023" is sooner that Heljan scheduled "Oct 23 - Dec 23"-

Luke

Read between lines .....skinhead and headcode 31.... unrefurbished and refurbished 37s ....buffer cowels and stripped back 47s so lots of choices and livery variations! I wonder if 60s will be 2 piece drivers window or later 3?...hats off to Hornby for commitment! And the secrecy...no loose lips at margate! As this hasn't come about in last few weeks I bet there has been some late nights and long weekends to bring to public with a bang!

I like the packing very triang.....bit of nostalgia for dad's.

Edited by bradfordbuffer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bradfordbuffer said:

I wonder if 60s will be 2 piece drivers window

Pretty sure the 60s didn't enter traffic with two-piece cabside drivers windows.  IIRC it was an ASLEF requirement simply because a driver could not properly look out of the windows as built.  AFAIK Brush only changed the drivers side windows though

3 hours ago, Covkid said:

Pretty sure the 60s didn't enter traffic with two-piece cabside drivers windows.  IIRC it was an ASLEF requirement simply because a driver could not properly look out of the windows as built.  AFAIK Brush only changed the drivers side windows though

60008 was at saltley lip running around driver training and testing with unusable windows and the fleet had a fair few mods.

60 kicked out 2x56s on 45mgr wagon trains from gladstone dock to edge hill then fiddelers ferry PS. ...from a drivers point of view a cracking loco only ever failed on main line once , didn't original Lima 60 have 2 piece window?

This seems very short sighted to me. Heljan had a chance to help shape the direction of TT in the UK (Like they have done with modern RTR) and have decided to abandon it to Kohler and co.

There'll be some celebrations from Margate today.

Edited by Din
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

If it works, they can join later with better models. If it does not, they won't loose anything. Also If Hornby fails and withdraws, TT:120 will become a niche scale like O gauge which Heljan could then exploit.

Sensible decision on their part really...

• Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 47423 said:

Heljan pulling out of TT120.

Screenshot_20221013-101651_Facebook.jpg

Thankyou for bringing this to our attention - I see it is also duplicated on the Heljan website as well as a being blog post.  It rather overtakes the conversation we were having on this thread about whether Heljan would consider switching to an alternative just yesterday.

Having nailed my colours to the mast for the Heljan 31, I’ll admit to feeling more than a little disappointed at this news, which is of course no reflection on Heljan: it’s an understandable decision, particularly in the current economic climate.

As I don’t model in UK outline OO9, OO or O, it just remains to thank Ben Jones ( @61661 ) and the Heljan team for having taken a bold and positive move at the start of TT:120 - my respect for Heljan as a company has gone up, even though I’ll lose my order.

Keith.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, LaGrange said:

Hornby seems to have set a tangent for stock that doesnt run well, whereas Heljan stuff does. Wheres the odd bit? 

Been discussed in other threads, but eh. I have Hornby stuff that runs well and Hornby stuff that doesn't. I have Heljan stuff that runs well and Heljan stuff that doesn't.

But nobody yet, outside of the supply chain, has any Hornby TT:120 stuff, so it seems a bit previous to be asserting that it's all bad and doesn't work.

But eh here I am on rmweb, where this is just how the community thinks and acts.

Maybe that makes me the daft one. 🙃

Edited by andythenorth
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the point being made was that we still don't quite know at what detail level the Hornby TT:120 models are going to be. Are they going to be like smaller OO scale models with lots of separate details, or like larger N gauge models, with more molded on detail. At the moment, we just don't know, but I would bet that Heljan wouldn't want to make anything other than a super-detailed model, and if Hornby are going with the latter, it would stick out like a sore thumb.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe Heljan have now decided that TT in the UK is Hornby's gamble to either succeed, or ruin on the company on (depending on your opinion).

Edited by Weeny Works
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, Weeny Works said:

Maybe Heljan have now decided that TT in the UK is Hornby's gamble to either succeed, or ruin on the company on (depending on your opinion).

My gut instinct is Hornby jumped on the bandwagon after Heljan went public & pleased the public for their own gain. Now Hornby have attempted to smother the market, Heljan have withdrawn & the clamour for TT may wane.

Only one major manufacturer investing in a scale that many modelers won't want to go down (being financially vested in N/OO/O). 

The Heljan announcement was in June. Hornby could not possibly have conceived one loco, let alone an entire range + marketing etc, within just 4 months. So I believe it was within Hornby's pipeline.

That said they "MAY" have added some token additional items to the list  "we will also eventually do a 31, J94 etc.." as possibly a warning shot across Heljan's bows to keep off the grass.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Unsurprising, but Heljan is a business, so of TT:120 takes off in the UK I'm sure that they will consider whether they want to participate.

As mentioned above, the Hornby TT:120 plans have clearly been 'in train' so to speak for some time and make use of models for which CADs exist in 00 scale so despite the conspiracy theorists the plan for a Hornby 31 looks to be very much a pre-existing one. Now if Heljan want to shrink the Class 25 I would be very tempted... 

• Like 1

Stupid and short-sighted, but hey, their loss. Conversely, they haven't got into continental TT because they felt they couldn't compete with Tillig, who want the scale to themselves, now here they see another Tillig in Hornby and are running away from this, too, instead of redoubling their efforts like Piko did against Tillig.

1 hour ago, andythenorth said:

But nobody yet, outside of the supply chain, has any Hornby TT:120 stuff, so it seems a bit previous to be asserting that it's all bad and doesn't work.

Erm yes they do, I have some Hornby TT:120 stuff, albeit under the Arnold Label, which runs beautifully 😜😜😜

Let's hope their British stuff is as good.

Regards

Neal.

• Like 3