Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

OO or TT range.......

• RMweb Gold

Nah, I've worked it out.  No TT for A/S but instead IRM will open up its own new niche area and go in for 00n3 starting with a CB&P 2-4-2T and a C&L 4-4-0T plus various C&L stock to get the ball rolling.  And who will be able to resist not only one of those fascinating looking, but remarkably quick  CB&P  2-4-2Ts?  And when the Burtonport Extension 8-coupled engines come along (Phase 2 or 3, or even Phase 4?) it will be narrow gauge big time.     Remember where you read it first🤪

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Before the war toy train/model railways were O gauge (or bigger) because that's what was feasible at the time - and the space that required wasn't really a problem to those households that could afford the hobby.  Dublo came in to serve the British mass market once they had the ability to reduce the size, albeit having to compromise using HO rails because we still couldn't make motors small enough to have gone for British outline HO.

I may be mistaken, but I understood that the old TT was really just the stage of that - recognising that OO still needed too much space for a train set in the typical British house, and that it came in once the technology had advanced enough.  It didn't really catch on because

• OO was already reasonably successful and established in the public mind
  • N arrived before TT took off and that gave a much greater space saving
  • N also allowed you to use as much space as OO but run longer trains which therefore looked more prototypical

Whilst I sympathise with the limited offerings to those who model in 1:120 and I wish every success to new entrants to that market, I don't see that as likely.  Too many of us are already committed to the existing well-established scales.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Nah, I've worked it out.  No TT for A/S but instead IRM will open up its own new niche area and go in for 00n3 starting with a CB&P 2-4-2T and a C&L 4-4-0T plus various C&L stock to get the ball rolling.  And who will be able to resist not only one of those fascinating looking, but remarkably quick  CB&P  2-4-2Ts?  And when the Burtonport Extension 8-coupled engines come along (Phase 2 or 3, or even Phase 4?) it will be narrow gauge big time.     Remember where you read it first🤪

Remembering where I read it shouldn't be a problem. Remembering WHAT I read may be....

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

A great April fools joke next year would be to announce a full AS range being offered in TT and watch for the mushroom cloud forming over Margate.

That would be shocking behaviour 🤣

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

On 12/10/2022 at 10:20, Islesy said:

Well, obviously, if we had wanted to dabble in TT, we've had two years to develop a range to bring to market (the TT range was well advanced when I left Margate), but we're not looking to get involved in the SK ego circus.

So that's a definite maybe not, then?

The news today that Heljan have pulled development on their TT range due to duplication suggests that TT might end up becoming a Hornby cul-de-sac which, if it doesn't attract the numbers they, or rather he, thinks, could end up being the iceberg that sinks the ship.

Still, Heljan pulling their TT developments frees up more Krone for investment in OO, so every cloud and all that.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Still, Heljan pulling their TT developments frees up more Krone for investment in OO, so every cloud and all that.

Well I remember TT first time around, which probably means that eyesight is no longer up to it.   If Heljan devote some of their Krone to small, detailed locos in OO which can run well on a shelf layout then that is indeed a silver lining I reckon....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Loving this part of Heljan's post - "and on supporting the crucial network of UK model railway retailers, who continue to be the backbone of the hobby and an essential resource for the modelling community."

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Are people starting to form this sort of mental. picture I wonder?

https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/shooting-yourself-in-the-foot-gm871840860-145575031

Not quite so graphic for me, but yes.  Islesy's quip sells it for me, and to me it is sad to think Simon K has chosen this path on which to end his long working career in model railways. 

• RMweb Premium
On 12/10/2022 at 10:20, Islesy said:

At least it means there's an abundance of 12mm track on the market 😉

Well I reckon that's pretty close to 15" in 1:32 so you should be able to do a convincing Tim, but the Peco track is nothing like and good luck with the loco.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Chris M said:

Isn't there a new series of "Hornby: A model world" next year?  Sounds like SK will be getting a load of free advertising for his TT:120 project. That TV programme could make all the difference to sales.

im not sure the target demographic actually watches TV any more. The viewership figures for that series was roughly the same as a better Sam’s trains video. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, McC said:

im not sure the target demographic actually watches TV any more. The viewership figures for that series was roughly the same as a better Sam’s trains video. 

I don't watch TV.  I'm not 100% clear what Hornby's target demographic was though, large parts of the video seemed designed to appeal to Status Quo fans.

I've bought some TT:120 on pre-order anyway.  And some Accurascale HAAs in OO.  Such choices we have in the hobby these days.

Edited by andythenorth
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, McC said:

im not sure the target demographic actually watches TV any more. The viewership figures for that series was roughly the same as a better Sam’s trains video

Are you sure they exist?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, McC said:

It will be interesting to see Sam's take on it, as I suspect a lot of his viewership are going to be interested in this. 

• RMweb Gold

I was surprised that so many TT threads have been started, which clearly are unnecessary and I have been amazed that so many members seem to be wanting to buy the models without knowledge of how well they work, or how good the fidelity to the real thing will be. Perhaps these things are only really important to some? 

Anyway, everyone's entitled to their own opinion (usual disclaimer), while the overabundance of blabber, often repeated over so many threads has led me to hit the 'Ignore this thread button ' to all but one to restore the balance within RMWeb on my browser, leaving just this one visible, in case there is something objectively worthwhile to read.

I wish joy to all who worship at this broad church, while pray that future purchases fully satisfy their desires. After all, it's basically a hobby, although a jolly happy one!

😎

Edited by longchap
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

24 minutes ago, JohnR said:

It will be interesting to see Sam's take on it, as I suspect a lot of his viewership are going to be interested in this. 

I guess Sam would focus on OO (and O), just like Heljan. He isn't even bothered with N (which has a much larger range), so why TT?

Secondly, given his constant and harsh criticism on Hornby, I very much doubt Hornby would want to use him to promote their TT range.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, toby_tl10 said:

I guess Sam would focus on OO (and O), just like Heljan. He isn't even bothered with N (which has a much larger range), so why TT?

Secondly, given his constant and harsh criticism on Hornby, I very much doubt Hornby would want to use him to promote their TT range.

He's very much at the "Toy Train" or "collector" end of the market rather than the "Finescale" modeller end which dominates RmWeb, for instance.

And as for Hornby wanting to use him, thats surely not going to stop him commenting, is it?

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

You don't mean liz TT-russ do you?

Her late Majesty had 15 prime ministers and a couple of dozen Chancellors of the Exchequer by the time she was 96.

If His Majesty is going to match that achievement, he's got to have a fresh Chancellor every year, and replace his PMs every 18 months or so.  So far, he's made a good start on that.

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, toby_tl10 said:

I will be interesting to observe the YouTubers that are the “paid “ to promote Hornby and its TT range.

Meanwhile back at the ranch!

Edited by rprodgers
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, toby_tl10 said:

As far as promoting TT,i guess using Guy Martin would be the best bet.

• Funny 1