Forum issues.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, blueeighties said:

Modelling musings, wheeltappers, prototype, layouts......

That seems worse than most have encountered, it's something to do with cookies but can't get to the bottom of it.

It's worth trying an RMweb enema and clear any site cookies and history; it's worked for some but no means all. Also try in another browser.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Based on the topic thread title, I thought I'd put this question here. (It's not worth its own thread.)

I am seeing a lot of weird formatting in topic threads all over the forum. (Windows 10 / Chrome).

After a (variable) number of posts, there is a big gap (much bigger than usual) between posts. There can be about 3 or 4 of these gaps on a page. Along with the gap, the post that precedes the gap has a reduced margin.

Like this:

image.png.fe33c2221779b4cb0f3cc2caa5820927.png

It's not critical and has no impact to usability - other than the gaps causing extra scrolling. Content is still visible but user profile thumbnail is truncated. It just looks odd.

I'm wondering if the gaps come after RMweb Gold posts?  Nope, that's not it.

Don't remember this before. I'm wondering if it is an artifact of adding the video player after the second post.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Don't remember this before. I'm wondering if it is an artifact of adding the video player after the second post

It probably is that.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/11/2022 at 01:11, Ozexpatriate said:

Based on the topic thread title, I thought I'd put this question here. (It's not worth its own thread.)

I am seeing a lot of weird formatting in topic threads all over the forum. (Windows 10 / Chrome).

After a (variable) number of posts, there is a big gap (much bigger than usual) between posts. There can be about 3 or 4 of these gaps on a page. Along with the gap, the post that precedes the gap has a reduced margin.

Like this:

image.png.fe33c2221779b4cb0f3cc2caa5820927.png

It's not critical and has no impact to usability - other than the gaps causing extra scrolling. Content is still visible but user profile thumbnail is truncated. It just looks odd.

I'm wondering if the gaps come after RMweb Gold posts?  Nope, that's not it.

Don't remember this before. I'm wondering if it is an artifact of adding the video player after the second post.

For info.

I started to get this mid-evening yesterday, and again today.  When it started, I was part way through a viewing session, rather than just starting.

I don't see the "margin change", but I do get the "gap".  Postings seem to be in groups of 4.

Adrian

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, figworthy said:

I don't see the "margin change", but I do get the "gap".

I still see both regularly. The gap is often (but not always) after a post by a RMweb Gold or Premium member.

On a recent page the gaps were after 4, then 2 posts.

It's odd but doesn't prevent any content being displayed.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• Moderators
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

The blank gaps between topic and forum section headers seems to be getting bigger, especially on mobile android viewing.

I'll be having words!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/11/2022 at 22:26, figworthy said:

For info.

I started to get this mid-evening yesterday, and again today.  When it started, I was part way through a viewing session, rather than just starting.

I don't see the "margin change", but I do get the "gap".  Postings seem to be in groups of 4.

Adrian

And tonight it was back to normal (no unusual gaps).

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

I'm currently getting a pop-up video about crypto currency. It appears as a pop-up window like this, which can be turned off, and also in the sequence of posts, where it can't be turned off.

screen2.png

I'm on Firefox with security set on custom, all ticked.

screen1.png

Edited by petethemole
typo
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, petethemole said:

I'm currently getting a pop-up video about crypto currency. It appears as a pop-up window like this, which can be turned off, and also in the sequence of posts, where it can't be turned off.

You hadn't changed your theme to RMweb Premium; I've now done that so you shouldn't see them.

I'm getting the crypto currency pop-up as well. Do I understand your previous post to mean that we have to pay to cease being bothered by this piece of gross irresponsibility? Crypto currencies are seriously dangerous in a financial sense, and should not be advertised anywhere.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Cwmtwrch said:

I'm getting the crypto currency pop-up as well. Do I understand your previous post to mean that we have to pay to cease being bothered by this piece of gross irresponsibility? Crypto currencies are seriously dangerous in a financial sense, and should not be advertised anywhere.

AFAIU the Ads you are seeing are selected for you, by google. RmWeb just provides space for them to be displayed. Those who choose NOT to take up Platinum or Gold membership, support the COST of running RmWeb by seeing GOOGLE supplied Adverts. Your ire should therefore be directed at google, not RMWeb who are simply trying to cover the cost of hosting this Forum.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I've started to see ads again....

It is the crypto one.

I click on the Premium theme at the bottom of the page and the tick appears - for a few pages.

Then the Premium theme switches off and I get the ads again until I reclick the Premium theme..

And repeat.

Have I missed something in my setup?

Hmm - It seems to be the Accurascale part of the forum!

I'm checking others, and will update if I find anymore.

Edited by newbryford

3 hours ago, Matt C said:

AFAIU the Ads you are seeing are selected for you, by google. RmWeb just provides space for them to be displayed. Those who choose NOT to take up Platinum or Gold membership, support the COST of running RmWeb by seeing GOOGLE supplied Adverts. Your ire should therefore be directed at google, not RMWeb who are simply trying to cover the cost of hosting this Forum.

Nope. 

If that was true we would all be seeing different adverts based on our browsing history. We aren't, we are all seeing the same one and it's probably one of the most annoying adverts I've seen.....

• Like 1

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Have I missed something in my setup?

Hmm - It seems to be the Accurascale part of the forum!

I'm checking others, and will update if I find anymore.

I've been using that invisible ink again.

Ads/videos may still appear in Accurascale/Revolution/BRM areas etc pending a fix from the adtechies.

• Friendly/supportive 2