Hornby 2023 Speculation?

Delta_Who

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Delta_Who said:

Slightly offtopic, but I badgered (I think it was Ben?) from revolution trains at Ally Pally earlier this year. Wanted to see if I could pull off an inception about getting the N scale 313 into OO scale.

The conversation was along the lines off "we're going to wait 6-12 months... but we have good word another manufacturer might be doing this".

I hope its Accurascale.  I thought the 50 announcement might have been it and was a wee bit disappointed . Well done you . Keep badgering !

• Like 1

New tool

Rainhill trails

Sans Pareil

Novelty

Steam

LMS 6399 Fury

Sorry if this has been mentioned here Class 37 ( the 2023 catalogue blurred preview looks like one) )New Modellers Shop- Hornby 2023 Catalogue - 69th Edition link

Prototype HST Class 41 Power cars with additional MK3 coaches 2022 tooling's.

Class 140 Pacer Railbus ( I am probably in a minority with this one)

Reintroduced

Class 142 Railbus (Railroad now)

Class 33 RailRaod (BR Blue)

BR Motorail Car transporter (2009 last produced.

Class 466 

I would like to see special commentative limited edition Hornby Railways 1978 - onwards era products  re produced produced given the popularity with Hornby Dublo and Tri-Ang.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 15/12/2022 at 15:53, RyanN91 said:

I liked it when trialled on our line but only because it couldn't cope. The regular set ran five minutes in front in case it didn't make it to the turnback in time for the return working. It meant I got home from work earlier.😉

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

New tool

Rainhill trails

Sans Pareil

Novelty

Steam

LMS 6399 Fury

Sorry if this has been mentioned here Class 37 ( the 2023 catalogue blurred preview looks like one) )New Modellers Shop- Hornby 2023 Catalogue - 69th Edition link

Prototype HST Class 41 Power cars with additional MK3 coaches 2022 tooling's.

Reintroduced

Class 142 Railbus (Railroad now)

Class 33 RailRaod (BR Blue)

BR Motorail Car transporter (2009 last produced.

Class 466 

I would like to see special commentative limited edition Hornby Railways 1978 - onwards era products  re produced produced given the popularity with Hornby Dublo and Tri-Ang.

Nice spot on the catalogue listing! Although to me, that blur almost looks class 55ish. Could also just be a placeholder.

I've seen a proto-hst mentioned a few times... and I have to say is one of the more interesting predictions. Shame the Rapido one hasnt manifested.

• Agree 5

I predict a new 8F and West Country class (hopefully) and a K4 would be nice as there is one preserved and as far as I’m aware not an up to date model of one.

Coaching wise I would like to see some West Coast Railways Mk1s and I imagine there will be some LNER teaks re introduced to go with all the Gresley Pacific’s etc.

With a new Black 5, Commonwealth of Australia, City of London, Dublo Flying Scotsman plus a couple from Accurascale on pre order I don’t mind if there’s nothing of interest or it’s a quieter year but the excitement of release day has lead to some pretty rash decisions in previous years and I expect this one to be no different! 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Helmdon said:

GWR Broad Gauge locos and stock in TT scale to run on OO gauge track

Now *that* would convince me to drop everything and try a new scale.

I seem to recall a layout built by the late John Brewer, former editor of Railway Modeller, done in this way.

Only saw it the once though.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
Extra info
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Steam

- New Tool 8F (got to be, sooo overdue, and I don't even want one)

- B16, probably the biggest remaining LNER gap

- Pannier of some sort, again feels overdue

Diesel/Modern Image

- Green 47? Totally out of the loop on modern image so there may well be one already

Coaches/Wagons

- Maunsell buffet

- 16T mineral wagon in RailRoad (ok, it would help me out, but it seems an obvious move for the train set end of things to knock out a basic cheap 4-wheeler which might well be wrong on all sorts of technical/prototype levels, but if you've got the tooling already....

The Surprising Thing

- Great Bear? Probably wouldn't be that surprising actually

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the 8F re-tool is quite likely. No doubt with steam effect option for DCC.

Like others, I'm waiting for the 2MT. I'd like a J69 but don't think Hornby would do it—had Oxford Rail not become effectively moribund I'd have thought they would have done it to partner the N7.

Other things I think are quite likely (though they're not ones I want): L1 4-4-0 new tooling, assuming it can appear in SECR livery. Also, to fend off competition, I think they'll issue class 31s and 50s in all the same variants that Accurascale are doing but in the railroad range (as with the Hattons class 66). Also perhaps another modern DMU—class 195 possibly?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

L1 4-4-0 new tooling, assuming it can appear in SECR livery. 

The L1 was a Southern loco.

An L would be better, can run in SE&CR green and grey liveries and not been done before.

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
More info
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Given that it's the 100th anniversary of the Big Four, I reckon that's going to be the theme.

I therefore predict four Dublo models to represent each of the Big Four - re-releases of the Duchess, Merchant Navy and A4 with a new tooled GWR loco. I would predict a Castle class for this, having nostalgia value for those who had the original.

Failing that, four locos from the main range. Possibly four pre-Grouping locos that were in service in 1923 - County, Compound, T9, N2? The problem is getting four locos of a consistent level of detail and a similar size - the T9 would show the others up.

I think The Great Bear is a strong possibility, as is a Saint. There aren't many obvious gaps in the GWR express locomotive lineup. I'm also going to join the chorus of people expecting a new tooled 8F.

Of course, 2023 will also be the 75th anniversary of British Railways coming into existence, so we might get something relating to that. Perhaps something in early BR livery?

As for something silly - it'll be the 160th anniversary of the Metropolitan Railway opening, so how about an A class?

2 hours ago, Delta_Who said:

A sandwich on wheels sounds like an untapped invention to me.

Never heard of a Subway train?

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

I think we wont see much at all this year, a reaffirmation of TT 1:120 and probably announce some of the phase 2/3 stuff for that scale.

Mostly it will be more solid dates/quarters for models already announced, I reckon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

My predictions are a new-tool rebuilt Merchant Navy, GWR Pannier, plus class 37 and 47.

The 37, 47 and pannier have already been announced in TT.

Otherwise they'll release models for the centenary of the "Big Four" and 75th anniversary of the establishment of BR.

• Like 2

The last few of Margate’s annual announcements have been of little interest to me, but it’s always fun to speculate so…

Someone, at some point, will do an S160 in OO. Will Hornby get there first? 

I’m sick of pointing it out, but the GWR Saint and Hawksworth County, as well as the LMS 8F are fruits so low hanging that they are nearly at ground level. If Hornby want quick revenues and more flags planted in the OO market, any or all of these three are no brainers. 

For the left-field, it wouldn’t surprise me to see something like Big Bertha (and thus a reprise of Terrier-gate, this time with KR models), or perhaps an NER Raven A2. I still can’t believe there’s never been a LNWR or L&Y 0-6-0 done in RTR, but I don’t see black, workaday 0-6-0s as Hornby’s bag really. 

I could see another “dawn of the railways” loco to join Rocket and Lion. Maybe Planet, Locomotion No.1 or any of the other Rainhill locos. 

Coaching stock wise, there’s a stack of steam era coaches that I think would sell well if done to the right price/spec point. Dimensionally accurate LNER Gresleys in more diagrams (can’t believe there still isn’t an RTR Gresley brake third or corridor composite), period 1 & 2 LMS corridor stock, and 1930s GWR corridor stock (either flat ended 57ft stock or “sunshine coaches”) would all appeal to big 4, steam-era BR, and preservation modellers. 

Margate haven’t really shown much interest in new tool freight stock for a few years, so I wouldn’t necessarily expect anything new there. Hornby are very, very good when it comes to NPCCS however, so it would be good to see a GWR Collett full brake, an LMS GUV, or a LNER horse box etc. 

There’s some other things I would suggest that would help sweat Hornby’s existing assets. The LMS Coronation Scot coaches could be released without the roof AC trunking in other LMS and BR liveries without too much effort, as could the forthcoming LNER Coronation coaches in BR liveries. The Collett corridors & subs could also be released in more liveries like GWR 1925 panelled livery (I’m astonished Hornby have never done this, as I think they’d look stunning and sell like hot cakes), and wartime brown as well as post-war Hawksworth livery. 

Cheers. 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

I still can’t believe there’s never been a LNWR or L&Y 0-6-0 done in RTR, but I don’t see black, workaday 0-6-0s as Hornby’s bag really. 

No 700, Q1, 4F, J15, Dean Goods, J27, J36, etc in the Hornby range then?

Hornby do more bog standard black 0-6-0s than all the other manufacturers put together!

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Really hoping for a brand new GWR Saint or County this year. 111 would be nice. I’d assume further variations of the 9F will come too, Tyne Dock hopefully to haul my Consett rake I have sat waiting. 
A brand new Royal Train with correct doors on the principals Mk3 coaches would be fantastic. That could lead to a new Mk2 announcement for the Couchettes too. 

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

No 700, Q1, 4F, J15, Dean Goods, J27, J36, etc in the Hornby range then?

Hornby do more bog standard black 0-6-0s than all the other manufacturers put together!

Jason

Let’s be accurate here. The 4f is an antiquated ex-Dapol model, fit for Railroad. The Dean Goods & J27 are technically Oxford Rail models (announced, developed and released prior to the Oxford range being subsumed into the Hornby range). I’ll give you the 700, Q1, J15 and J36 though. But no GWR or LMS (and LMS constituents) representatives though? 

I’ve always seen Bachmann as the more likely source of workaday 0-6-0s. MR 3f & 4f, SECR C class, GCR J11, LNER J39, GWR Collett Goods etc. 

Let’s see what 10th January brings…

• Like 3