Hornby 2023 Speculation?

Delta_Who

Figured it's mid-December. Needs less foam-mouth around here, and more dart-throwing and a bit of Christmas spirit. 🎄

Chaps, can we try and keep this thread fun? I'm proposing the following rules (stolen from @Edge 2019 Christmas Speculation Therad.)

1. Keep it civil. This is a thread for people to have a go at guessing what will happen, not a thread where people can laugh at other people's guesses. Even if you find an idea to be ridiculous, it doesn't mean you HAVE to ridicule it.

2. Make a couple of guesses in each category: Steam Locos (all steam, from the Rocket to Tornado), Diesel & Modern Image, Coaches & Wagons, and The Surprising Thing 

3. Have a go at all of the categories, regardless of whether you actually model it or not - remember that this is meant to be a bit of fun.

Steam

- New Tool 8F

- Return of the LNER Era 9 Flying Scotsman

- New Tool Jubilee Class Locomotives

Diesel/Modern Image

- Likely very light on the Diesel side again

- More Class 43 Variations (Virgin set with Buffers) (Era 7 Intercity Blue)

- LNER Intercity 225 Sets

- Avanti Pendolino Climate Change set

Coaches/Wagons

- First/Scotrail Caledonian Mk3 Sleeper Sets

- Commemorative Royal Coaches (Possibly even a Ltd Edition set with a high-detailed 67005)

The Surprising Thing

- More Greater-Anglia/GEML related Units. Class 720?

Class 707 or E320 (I laugh at the fact that I've put so many modern EMUs here which have slim chance. But it's clear that Hornby like freshly-modern units).

Edit

Might also be a good idea to check out the OO wishlist poll for 2022... if you wanted some ideas. Link below ;

Edited by Delta_Who
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I thought someone had suggested they would not be going for the January "Big Bang" .It wasn't SK was it ? Might explain why certain people haven't had an invite.

Would make sense being as they still have lots of already announced stuff still not delivered.

Much preferred the drip feed method the developers were using via Engine Shed before SK got his grubby little hands on the process and took it back to the dark ages.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

retooled mk3 sleepers using the latest slam door tooling starting with blue n grey and executive.   

another brace of new 87s.   can they do something about the lighting circuitry while theyre at it unless the new 21 pin versions have already sorted that out ?    Really with the 87 being one of Hornbys newest retools and with other entrants slowly picking away at the locos with from the ground up new models with bells whistles and next level fidelity I would like to see H looking to keep their 87 up to date.   That pantograph needs attention too - take a look at the accurascale 92 or Bachmann 90 high speed pans for how it should be done. 

mass production of some decent Mk1 lattice catenary.

Edited by ThaneofFife
additional comments
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I thought someone had suggested they would not be going for the January "Big Bang" .It wasn't SK was it ? Might explain why certain people haven't had an invite.

Would make sense being as they still have lots of already announced stuff still not delivered.

Much preferred the drip feed method the developers were using via Engine Shed before SK got his grubby little hands on the process and took it back to the dark ages.

that dart didnt take long to throw !

• Funny 2

A Flying Scotsman and some A4s......

At this stage they could do anything from a rehash of a 70s item, recently done in the early 2000s and now saturated.

To a loco that has never been done in RTR before...

To an all new Lord of the Isles.

We'll see in January (or not)....

• Like 1

The 2023 catalogue will be out in early January.

Look to see how many models are 3rd/4th Quarter delivery candidates!

And how many are hold-overs from previous years...

Given the TT120 announcement in October, there's no point in getting all wound up about what "might" appear for OO.

6 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

A Flying Scotsman and some A4s......

At this stage they could do anything from a rehash of a 70s item, recently done in the early 2000s and now saturated.

To a loco that has never been done in RTR before...

To an all new Lord of the Isles.

We'll see in January (or not)....

They've pre-announced a slew of Flying Scotsmen already. 

A rehash of a 70s item? It'd be nice to get a retooled Battlespace Turbo Car!

Another Era 1 loco could be on the cards.  A Large Bloomer would be nice!

I'm NOT frothing or wishlisting, you understand...

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

All-new Rebuilt Merchant Navy from the first series with 5000 gallon tender.

Urie S15

Maunsell Buffet Car (BR conversion), and D.2007 open third. 

SR and BR Walrus ballast hoppers and the ballast brake to go with them.

Sorry, what was that? OK, I'm awake now! 😆 

PS.   All in OO, please, (but feel free to do them in TT as well).

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Combe Martin said:

I'm not going to guess, but I would really like some accurate Milk Tankers.  The current ones are just generic.

Hello Combe Martin

Plenty of those to vote for in The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022 - link in banner headline.🙂

Brian

• Like 2

My wish list:

Steam:

New tooling:

1.LMS 8F

2.L&Y A class

New liveries:

1.6233 Duchess of Sutherland in current mainline disguise

I do think we will see a Tyne dock 9F in this announcement with delivery of the new 9F earlier this year.

Diesel:

New Tooling:

Prototype HST

New liveries:

Class 43 HSTs;

NRM 43102 in Intercity & Purple 43274 EMR

43274 & 43257 in colas twin pack (Purple & Red)

43290 & 43299 in Network Rail red.

I’m easily pleased…

• Agree 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Am I correct that this year's announcement will be on Christmas Day, not early  January ???

No; it'll be Tues 10th Jan. I'm guessing at 10.00am.

Edited by AY Mod
Revised date
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 9

Steam:

Aveling and porter loco - Fits in nicely with their recent focus on small shunting locos
Retooled Caledonian Single 

Parallel Boiler Royal Scot

Modern Image:
Retooled class 465/466 Networker
Class 11/12 (to steal a march on Heljan's),

Coaches
Chiltern sliding door Mk3s - to be released just in time for them to be withdrawn.
'Generic' pre-grouping bogie coaches.

The Surprising Thing
GWR Broad Gauge locos and stock in TT scale to run on OO gauge track

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

My best guesses would be:

GWR 111 'The Great Bear' - following on from other experimental steam locomotives (W1, Turbomotive)

New Tool Caledonian Single - there seems to be an appetite for pre-grouping Scottish locos (Rail/Bach CR 828, Rapido HR Jones Goods) and Hornby are protective of locos that they have made in the past.

S&DR Locomotion No.1 - this is less likely but I expect a new loco for the Rocket range and Locomotion makes sense with the upcoming bicentenary of the S&DR, although maybe they'll wait for the 2024 announcements.

Another Peckett/Industrial steam loco - maybe a Manning Wardle, the 0-4-0 the SECR used would make sense.

Another Ruston/Sentinel/Industrial IC loco - Not sure what to expect here, but there’s sure to be something. 

A fireless or battery loco - bit more of a wildcard but I think Hornby will want to keep things interesting. 

009 Narrow Gauge - this is more wishlisting but Hornby have shown willingness to enter new scales, so you never know. 00n3 is more likely as it uses TT gauge track.

Edited by mwrob
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

My speculative list of what(in my opinion) may or may not feature in Hornby's 2023 range...

Steam:

- A commemorative King class of some description. 

- A new industrial shunter. 

Diesel and electric:

- New liveries of the HST, Virgin, GNER, Grand Central orange stripe...

- New liveries of class 67, Jubilee 67007, TfW Black, GBRf.

- New tool industrial of some kind, Hunslet 0-4-0.

Coaches/wagons:

- Mk3s to go with the above mentioned HSTs.

- TfW black mk4s and DVT.

- New tooling mk3 sleeper.

- More MHA coalfish. 

The surprising thing:

-  Old tooling mk3s in RailRoad.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, ivor the engine said:

I would make my oft repeated request for Night Ferry sleepers and associated vans, both SR and SNCF please !

Hello ivor the engine

You can find those in The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022 too. Link in banner headline.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team 

With next year being 100 years since the grouping I would expect to see a sort of set emerge with one each of the big four like they did a few years ago when 4 individual models were marketed as 'The Last Day' collection, perhaps a 'First day collection'.

I can't see too many wholly new toolings given the number of outstanding models but I don't think Hornby will 'do a Bachmann' and not announce new tooling for a year but maybe just one new tooling item. Something like an L&Y A class, LNER K4 or a D34 (personal wishes there!) would offer lots of liveries and for the latter two named engines but given the Turbomotive and Duke have been produced then 'The Great Bear' isn't as unlikely as it once seemed. With the Std 2, Black 5, Turbomotive and P2 still awaited this to me says any new steam will likely be Southern or Western Region. So perhaps this will be the year for the Q or the U class, not for me but seem to be high pollers so likely candidates.

A shoe-in is probably a King in the Dublo range to join the MN, A4 and Duchess.

With regards to Rolling Stock I can see the angular Coronation obbos being announced.

I don't do Diesels but it wouldn't surprise me to see Hornby announce something like a new 50 which has been under development for a number of years or a 47. Basically I can't see Hornby having sat back and let others potentially take up all of what are staple modes for 1960's to 2000's period like the 37 and 47. So to me duplication is likely on Diesels but not in retaliation to other announcements but just because companies will have been working on the same class for a period before announcing.

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

With the market at saturation I genuinely have no idea what they will come up with, but its a bit of fun and will be interesting to see what happens. So a few random thoughts ..............

Hornby are traditionally big engine and upmarket coaches , so are there any big engines left?  They are already doing Turbomotive , W1 in any form imaginable .....maybe Great Bear , but I cant see it , but then I don't see a huge demand for the Turbomotive either. 

Retooled Rebuilt MN (even though I don't really see the need for one) or 8F maybe ? Just to keep competition away and they need a new flashy model of something. 

Wagon Lits coaches , as its sort of like a Pullman so likely to appeal to SK

Bullied Tavern Cars - something different.

I see people saying retooled Deans single and Caley 123 . with the success of "Rocket" it could be they will revert to their Tri-ang origins with appropriate packaging , so I can see this is a possibility , even though for us Caley Fans I think a Dunalastair would be more useful , I can see that SK would choose the Caley Single for its glamour . 

The tools for Blue Pullman were apparently lost , so how about a retooled Railroad version along the lines available before ie Power Car and Intermediate  (assuming Railroad continues). 

Full Transpennine Unit?

On reliveries, I think the new LNER 225 has got to be a shoe in . 

On Railroad , will they continue with it , or should there new strategy be to direct people looking at lower cost to TT:120?

I predict a new liveried NSE and Large Logo Class 50 as SK cant see past this , we seem to get one every year. 

No point looking for my much sought after 313/314/315 EMU as its just not Hornby territory (see that'll tempt fate - bound to be announced now)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Karl said:

I don't do Diesels but it wouldn't surprise me to see Hornby announce something like a new 50 which has been under development for a number of years or a 47. Basically I can't see Hornby having sat back and let others potentially take up all of what are staple modes for 1960's to 2000's period like the 37 and 47. So to me duplication is likely on Diesels but not in retaliation to other announcements but just because companies will have been working on the same class for a period before announcing.

I can't help thinking that had Hornby been working on a new 50, 37 or 47 (or for that matter 31 or 56) they would have announced it by now, simply to try and avoid too many diverted orders to the rival offer.  Indeed, it wouldn't surprise me to see a rival announce a new Class 60 within the next six to twelve months which will leave Hornby in a difficult place for non-steam contemporary standard locos, although they could of course try and fill the gap in units, the most obvious gap in their range is a modern standard first generation DMU, a market largely cornered by Bachmann, and which would sit nicely alongside their extensive BR steam models.

I suspect they see the future for non-steam in TT, and to that end it will be interesting to see how this year's announcement pans out for the non-steam market.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Here's my (very sparse compared to the rest of you) speculative list for 2023,

Steam:

- BR Standard 5MT 4-6-0: They've tooled up the BR1G, B, F, and C tenders for future runs of their 9F; The 5MTs were also paired with these plus the BR1 tenders currently in the range behind the Britannia and Clan models tho they may need some updating to similar specifications as well as the BR1H may need to be tooled up. Hornby also has experience with modeling Caprotti valve gear to produce 73125-73154. To add to that, the other available Std 5MT is showing its age I feel.

- GWR Saint: Quite a number (myself included) have been asking for a Saint that is up to 21st Century standards. This is due to the popularity of 2999; I have noticed a slight interest in the 29xxs since this loco was completed. I've seen a few decent looking RTR and kit bashes on social media.

- GWR Hawksworth County: Another manufacturer has teased this but have yet to officially announce it. Hornby could already be working on one in the background.

- A King to commemorate the coronation of King Charles III (maybe)

- Some Industrial thing

- Another streamlined P2: They've "accidentally" shown one off at Warley, that being 2005 Thane of Fife

- Rebuilt Turbomotive: I found it a bit odd that they announced the both forms of the W1 back in 2020 but did not do the same of the Turbomotive when that was announced. I believe this may be due to it not lasting too long in its rebuilt form.

- LMS Fury or GWR 111: To go along with the "Experimental" phase they are currently going through.

- A1/1 "Great Northern" or A2/1s: To complete the Thompson pacific line up with the A2/2s and A2/3s.

- Retooled 71000 Duke of Gloucester: Ok ok I'm reaching too far here. I'll stop wish-listing before this post becomes too long Lol.

Not much for speculation in the other categories unfortunately although I wouldn't mind seeing up-to-date models of the GWR Centenary Coaches (I believe that's what they are called) or maybe even "Generic" Bogie coaches (options for Clerestory roofs) as a companion to the 4 and 6 wheelers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2