Hornby 2023 Speculation?

Delta_Who

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

I think that a Bulleid 4 Sub would be popular and the prototype is sitting in the former warehouse next to Hornby's offices.

Ray

Agreed.
Although a tin HAL would be much easier for them to produce as they already have the chasis and "undergubbins".  Also, I understand that 2-car units are better sellers than 4-car units (don't know how true that is though).

• Like 2

I'd be surprised if there is any big hitting new toolings in OO this year, not with them having bet the house on TT.  I suspect the OO range will be skewed more to reliveries and reissues, or possibly slight retools such as the LMS Coronation Scot stock without the clerestory ventilation ducts as mentioned earlier.  That would be a relatively cheap and useful expansion of the Stanier P3 range, but being pessimistic given their investment in the new scale, unless their backers are throwing money around like snuff at a wake, it's hard to see much money being left over for new wow-factor toolings in OO.

Sorry to be a downer but the TT range must be totalling many millions of pounds of committed spending.  Unless Mr Kohler has had a secret Euromillions win?

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Brian Indge said:

That’s my birthday!!

Surely SK and Montana will deliver my birthday wish for some Gresley Quad-Art coaches!

They could of course remember that a Quint-Art would also go with the Oxford Rail N7.

I will suggest that there won't be "Some industrial thing" on the basis that every time I've suggested they've reached their limit, Hornby have done another one. On that superstitious basis I'm also suggesting they won't announce "Some tunnel-based nonsense train from That London".

I could see a new Railroad Deltic - it might work well in a set with their Mk.1 stock.

• Like 2

I'm sure people will have many points of critique of Hornby and their past decisions. And you would be perfectly entitled to them...

Though might I suggest another forum thread where these viewpoints are examined indepth? These things become runaway topics quite easily.

• Like 1

Hi,

I'll bite, again, although I always say that I won't every year ! 🤐

The Umber and Cream paint job on the new TT Pullman cars looks brilliant I think, very prototypical.

So I would hope for a new range of current, modern day VSOE Pullman cars, correctly painted, possibly with some of the Mk1 support type vehicles as well, being something that people can and do see for themselves when out and about on the current railway network.

Failing that...Maybe a new range of Mk3 coaching stock, to include unrivalled accuracy and also including the current, modern day, Royal Train vehicles.

This would give their 67's something to do and as mentioned upthread, a bright, colourful rendition of the purple 67 would create Wow! factor, again, being something that people can and do see for themselves when out and about on the current railway network.

Also, a nice GLOSSY paint finish, like the NRM Class 71 would be something really special on these, but I understand it is an expensive and difficult paint process so I do understand I may be asking too much here.

I won't hold my breath on these because of the new TT venture and what that's probably committed them to financially, but I hope whatever they've been working on goes well for them.

Cheers,

Shed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Downer said:

Another Class 37?  Insane.

Hornby have two so-so toolings at the moment, they are developing new tooling for TT which likely could lend its CAD to forming the basis of a good Railroad+ 00 tooling which could compete on price very nicely, and could be finessed to a higher standard still by those who'd like to do a bit of modelling.

• RMweb Gold

Well i saw a what looked like a class 777 carriage on TV a week ago, which makes me suspicious of that catalog picture, which could be also.

i’m totally expecting a class 50

8f would seem a popular guess.

Edited by adb968008

1 hour ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Let’s be accurate here. The 4f is an antiquated ex-Dapol model, fit for Railroad. The Dean Goods & J27 are technically Oxford Rail models (announced, developed and released prior to the Oxford range being subsumed into the Hornby range). I’ll give you the 700, Q1, J15 and J36 though. But no GWR or LMS (and LMS constituents) representatives though? 

I’ve always seen Bachmann as the more likely source of workaday 0-6-0s. MR 3f & 4f, SECR C class, GCR J11, LNER J39, GWR Collett Goods etc. 

Let’s see what 10th January brings…

Not even close to being accurate. The 4F was Airfix and has been updated numerous times.

Hornby also have a Dean Goods which originated from Airfix, made by Heller and first released by Mainline, so that's two of them, both currently in the catalogue. How can you dismiss any of them seeing as they are on the Hornby website and available for ordering?

The Bachmann J39 hasn't been in the catalogue for years so doesn't count.

Still have Hornby having more black 0-6-0s available to buy than anyone else. It's this preposterous idea that they don't make ordinary engines that rankles. Yet another thinly veiled dig at Hornby.

Jason

• Agree 2

Trying to be practical:

- a retool of the 8F has been suggested - huge class, seems sensible

- They need some modern image loco: a retool of the 73 would seem a sensible move. The last large class not to recieve a high-spec tooling

- A new 47 with a centre drive mechanism may make sense. They are developing one in TT120 . Nobody's done a new 47 for about a decade, it's a huge class and you can do 57s as a spin off . (Getting involved with 37s in the face of two new rivals is a mugs game)

- They may have been planning a 50 and AS may well have spiked their guns on that

- The GE Buckjumpers are crying out for someone to tackle them - this would fit with the N7, J15, B12/3, D16/2 they do

- GWR 57xx/8750 looks likely

- Might they attempt to retool the LMS/MR 4F?

- The N2 is due a retool

That looks like the candidates for at least 2 years worth of announcements...

Coaching stock is interesting... Despite the snipes, Hornby have tooled more coaching stock over the last 15 years than anyone else.. One or two more Railroad Mk1s might make sense. A retool of the GW autocoach? (Cue cries that it doesn't fit with the Pannier) I take it Rapido have squashed any attempt to retool the B-set to go with the Pannier

I'm struggling to see any obvious Grouping era coaching stock gaps : Hornby have done corridor and non-corridor sets for all 4  Groups (SR being 58' rebuilds for non-corridor stock). A Stanier or Gresley push-pull driving trailer maybe??

A GWR clerestory is at least something they've done, that sold, and had a long life and widespread use. They had form with the CR Grampian stock but there's no obvious loco to pair them with. I'm struggling to see a burning demand for late LNWR/NER/GE/NBR stock ... The GC locos are with Bachmann , so no Barnums . The GNR had Gresley so I see little scope for pre-LNER GN coaches. Maybe some late period MR coaches would blenmd in with LMS Period 1 stock . But I've heard that LMS Period 1 stock amounted to LNWR types/concepts redrawn by Derby in MR style. So there may not be crossover

On balance - two new GW clerestories , that can be used on local services in the \grouping era, a new aurocoach and a couple of Mk1 types

It's surely about time we saw re-issue of a 2 car Southern EMU or two . The Q1 must be due to reappear. M7 time?

Some of the other new tools of the last decade must be due a reappearance

Where wagons are concerned, I think they need a few new bread and butter revenue wagons. Any real hints from TT120? New 21T BR mineral perhaps?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not even close to being accurate. The 4F was Airfix and has been updated numerous times.

Hornby also have a Dean Goods which originated from Airfix, made by Heller and first released by Mainline, so that's two of them, both currently in the catalogue. How can you dismiss any of them seeing as they are on the Hornby website and available for ordering?

The Bachmann J39 hasn't been in the catalogue for years so doesn't count.

Still have Hornby having more black 0-6-0s available to buy than anyone else. It's this preposterous idea that they don't make ordinary engines that rankles. Yet another thinly veiled dig at Hornby.

Jason

Well, let’s agree to disagree. I was generally referring to relatively new-tool locos that are acceptable to modern standards. 

My comment vis-a-vis “black 0-6-0s” wasn’t being pejorative to Hornby by the way. It was my subjective view of their modus operandi when it comes to new steam loco releases, when compared to other manufacturers. They do tend to go for the “big and beautiful” don’t they, when compared with Bachmann, Dapol et al.

Cheers. 

CoY 

25 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Apart from this one......

Or this one:

OK then scrub the 47 ... I only run passenger multiple units and 31s 😜 so I wasn't up to spead.

Both 37 and 47 look like TT only projects

Hornby have 37,47, 67 ,  87 .

Therefore clearly they are going to announce a MacRat, an EM2, and a Departmental loco. ... You heard it here first

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Downer said:

Another Class 37?  Insane.

I wouldn't put it past them given the tie in's with LSL, Hoskings and the 1:1 Collection. I would also hazard a guess a model of a Two Tone Green 47 may also be on the horizon as the broken 501 is now due to go there. 

Now, what will be interesting to see is what they do with the Oxford Rail Mk3 tooling. Will they finally incorporate them into the main range, address the issues with the chassis, and release them with further new liveries? 

A working Isle of Man Beyer-Peacock.

The static version is already in Oxfordrail's lists, and very nice it looks too.

spacer.png

With Hornby developing mechanisms and track for TT:120, this seems ideal for 4mm scale on 12mm track.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1