Hornby 2023 Speculation?

Delta_Who

What i would like in Dublo range is the 50. Cast mental body on an already existing chassis. Low tooling costs and something "new" which even people who are going to buy the Accurascale 50 might get.

Knowing how fast most of the Dublo announcement sold out to pre-order I've already told my local model shop that if Hornby announce a "metal" diesel I want one...

We were joking a couple of weeks ago as to what they might do. Class 28, 08. 20 all of which were original Dublo models, even though the last 2 were in plastic.

Luke

• Funny 2

22 minutes ago, DLPG said:

I will join the others with the 8F. Long overdue. Hopefully a retooled D49 also. 

On the new front a J21 please. 

I thought the last version of the 8F was good, but just not enough of them and difficult to get hold of.  There were some 850 of them built, in all sorts of guises and all regions, and I would have thought Hornby could have kept it permanently and profitably in their catalogue.

• Like 2

What would make me get my bank card out:

• An LNER J69

• An LNER E4

• Gresley Suburban Push-Pull coaches

• Thompson BZ 

• Wickhams 109

• Class 306

• Class 313 (I’d pay a lot of money for a Silverlink set)

What I think we will actually get (not all at once of course):

• A re-tooled 8F to the same standard as the new Black 5

• A properly done 14xx, a massive open goal surely?!
• A well advanced re-tooled 50
• New 67’s in TfW black, GBRF and Diamond Jubilee purple

• A 43102/43274 farewell pack and some EMR Mark 3’s, seems to be another open goal

• 91 in the new LNER livery 

• Mark 4’s in new LNER livery 

• Generic bogie/clerestory coaches, I’d have a couple

• TFW 231/756’s

• The CAF 195-197 family of units. 
• A TFW 153
• 153376 in NR blue

Edited by NXEA!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, DavidBird said:

A working Isle of Man Beyer-Peacock.

The static version is already in Oxfordrail's lists, and very nice it looks too.

spacer.png

With Hornby developing mechanisms and track for TT:120, this seems ideal for 4mm scale on 12mm track.

Ah our beloved beautiful Crown Dependency the Isle of Man a charming stunning British Isle mixed with British and Celtic history. Agreed I have the Oxford static model i picked it up at Rails in one of their sales, I'd love to see Hornby venture into Narrow gauge railways. The Isle of Man is one of favourites I went there in 1997 age 6 and absolutely loved it truly is a stunning railway with beautiful locomotives and rolling stock amongst beautiful Manx countryside!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Let’s be accurate here. The 4f is an antiquated ex-Dapol model, fit for Railroad.

I don't think Dapol ever actually made a 4F themselves. The tooling and original production run was by  Airfix in 1978.  The tooling along with the unsold stock passed to Palitoy. They reportedly intended to do an upgraded version but never got round to it before production of Mainline closed down. Dapol took the tooling and unsold Airfix stock c1985. The tooling then passed to Hornby in 1996. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

I'd be surprised if there is any big hitting new toolings in OO this year, not with them having bet the house on TT.  I suspect the OO range will be skewed more to reliveries and reissues, or possibly slight retools such as the LMS Coronation Scot stock without the clerestory ventilation ducts as mentioned earlier.  That would be a relatively cheap and useful expansion of the Stanier P3 range, but being pessimistic given their investment in the new scale, unless their backers are throwing money around like snuff at a wake, it's hard to see much money being left over for new wow-factor toolings in OO.

Sorry to be a downer but the TT range must be totalling many millions of pounds of committed spending.  Unless Mr Kohler has had a secret Euromillions win?

He is on record as saying the OO range announcements will not be scaled back because of TT:120. I suspect there might be fewer new models but still a good selection . As to what they will be , keep on forgetting about a J69. It’s amazing no one has produced one so far 

• Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, NXEA! said:

• TFW 231/756’s

Problem is they would either have to retool, or have planned the Anglia model with tooling slides, to model the additional door in the TfW Flirts, or release the model as an inaccurate re-livery of the Anglia units, which I'm not sure modern enthusiasts will accept.  You would hope they have anticipated the fact the Welsh designs have the extra doors but there again, we are talking Hornby non-steam.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Well, let’s agree to disagree. I was generally referring to relatively new-tool locos that are acceptable to modern standards. 

My comment vis-a-vis “black 0-6-0s” wasn’t being pejorative to Hornby by the way. It was my subjective view of their modus operandi when it comes to new steam loco releases, when compared to other manufacturers. They do tend to go for the “big and beautiful” don’t they, when compared with Bachmann, Dapol et al.

Cheers. 

CoY 

So all those Terriers, Pecketts (2 types), Pugs, Sentinels (2 types), Rustons (2 types), 08s, etc are "big and beautiful"?

It might be worth looking through the Hornby range to see what they do actually make as you seem out of the loop.

https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/train-sets-rolling-stock/locomotives?encoded=Jcs9CoAwDEDh23RzEBeX4AUc3EVK-mMtaiNpKvT2iq7f4w0HpjChbLARJ1Obsqs1HuI5zycmh0Jc9S_a1GW-mFyxoi2KD29bYCRLJ0m8fVYXBq-jg67tVSaWd4H-U2gf

Jason

• Like 1

With the VEP due in the summer, possibly a couple of additional liveries? Connex being the obvious one, but NSE could be done again or, as they are already doing a 'one-off' in the form of 3514, maybe 3417 'Gordon Pettitt' in BR Blue.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lots of people saying the 8F and it is indeed an obvious contender for a new model.

But whilst Hornby may have intentions they have yet to deliver already announced 'obvious' models including the Black 5 and the BR 2MT. 

Wouldn't surprise me if a 00 8F gets announced soon but maybe not from Hornby. Or even if an announcement did come from Hornby a competitor gets an 8F to market sooner than Hornby are able to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
  •  I’m curious to see if any new Steam Generator fitted locomotives are announced, or will we wait for the three announced last year to be delivered first?
  • The instruction booklet for the retooled HST power cars mentions sound decoders, so I think it’s safe to assume some 21 pin sound decoders will be coming soon. 
  • Another pioneering early locomotive would be an instant buy for me. I’d love to add a Sans Pareli or a Planet to the roster. Someone must have Locomotion No. 1 in the works for the bicentenary but my gut feeling is the 2023 catalogue is a little early to be announcing that.
  • It would be great to see something genuinely surprising announced. Motorised Corgi trams? Do for light railways what the Pecketts and Rustons did for industrial railways by producing an Aveling & Porter loco, or a Col. Stephens style railcar? 2024 tube stock?
  • And to finish up, the same plea I make to every manufacturer when we’re wishlisting: more modern multiple units, please!! 
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, gc4946 said:

My predictions are a new-tool rebuilt Merchant Navy, GWR Pannier, plus class 37 and 47.

The 37, 47 and pannier have already been announced in TT.

Otherwise they'll release models for the centenary of the "Big Four" and 75th anniversary of the establishment of BR.

I've revised my thoughts on 37s and 47s, Hornby aren't announcing them in OO yet but may do so in a few years time.

A NBR Glen class could be announced to accompany the 6-wheel carriages.

I'd welcome a new-tool D49 and a K4.

The Oxford Rail locos and rolling stock rebranded as Hornby.