RMweb

GWR O11/15 Opens and V14/16 Vans - order book now open!

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2023 at 15:59, SteamingWales said:

I'll take the BR Breakdown version please. Assuming this is the wagon that was mentioned earlier in the thread as being at Shrewsbury?

Yes that's right, looking at the outline of the wording on the side I am not sure that it specified Shrewsbury (unlike the Tyseley ex-Fruit van) but it is an attractive livery.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Considering how camera-shy O15s have proven to be, this is quite a find.

Wagon No.30098 with timbers and vac gear not fitted (but with instanter in place) acting as a transporter wagon for the carriage for an 8in howitzer.

Before anyone asks, it is unlikely we will be tooling up this variant 😄 interesing though!

https://www.steampicturelibrary.com/railway-war/first-world-war/8in-howitzer-gun-carriage-open-b-wagon-swindon-20172672.html?mp=2#v2_scrolltoinfo

1683649026_Screenshot2023-03-03at00_20_27.png.4d517852b129841d1d29d7ccd875f1f7.png

I know the pic is in The Bible BTW - it's just this is such higher quality.

Edited by RapidoCorbs
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Not quite a bucket load for me, but I'll certainly be ordering several! 😃

Over £1700 if you order one of each at rrp......😮

Edited by gwrrob
detail.

Oh wow OK 👀

Just gone though my preferred retailer and the preorder comes to £228 or...

1x V14

3x V16 (including the BR breadown red)

3x O11

1x O15

Best start a) saving up b) rationalise the order a little

Rapido are really really really doing us GWR modellers a favour with their range.

Now can we have a Collett Goods (GWR 2251) to pull our rakes made entirely of Rapido GWR wagons? Pretty please 😇

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SteamingWales said:

Now can we have a Collett Goods (GWR 2251) to pull our rakes made entirely of Rapido GWR wagons? Pretty please 😇

Now that would be good, seeing that we haven't had a 2251 on the market in quite some years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Over £1700 if you order one of each at rrp....,

Only the 5 or 6 that'll actually get run.

My new year's resolution #1 is therefore still holding up!

Resolution #2 (one in, two out) requires me to select 10 or 12 wagons from my existing excess for disposal.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Resolution #2 (one in, two out) requires me to select 10 or 12 wagons from my existing excess for disposal.

Retirement beckons for my old Mainline/Bachmann wagons of a similar ilk.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Over £1700 if you order one of each at rrp......😮

Quite. Very tricky if you have ongoing projects in pre-grouping, grouping and nationalised timeframes.........

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Quite. Very tricky if you have ongoing projects in pre-grouping, grouping and nationalised timeframes.........

Rob

Baaaaa  ...      You really should learn to keep all your projects to the same time frame.   That way you not only save money on buying wagons but also save money on paint and stuff for weathering them.🎯

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 16/03/2023 at 16:21, SteamingWales said:

Oh wow OK 👀

Just gone though my preferred retailer and the preorder comes to £228 or...

1x V14

3x V16 (including the BR breadown red)

3x O11

1x O15

Best start a) saving up b) rationalise the order a little

or c) if cost is a real concern, there are the very good Parkside kits of the same diagrams. 😉

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Baaaaa  ...      You really should learn to keep all your projects to the same time frame.   That way you not only save money on buying wagons but also save money on paint and stuff for weathering them.🎯

Morning Mike, 

Bang on. Initially, all the projects did just that. Easy. 

Ah! Life is full of little twists and turns...

To be truthful, the SE&CR opens and vans miss the period of the lovely Wainwright livery and are really only suitable for the grey wartime livery( WW1 and beyond ). It of course made more commercial sense to model those that they did due to their longevity. A tooling to produce wagons that continued into the 50s/60s, and beyond in departmental use is a better choice that those gone by the 30s at the latest. 

No such issues with the 6whl brakes ( though I do begrudge having to deal with Rails to get an open veranda type ! )or the GWR wagons though the forthcoming Toad is of course later. 

A nice Great Eastern brake van would be lovely and an open or two would be good. 

But, it's not a bad time to be dabbling in the pre-grouping period.....or early post grouping......or the nationalised periods...

Rob. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

I’d say there has never been a better time to be a railway modeller generally.😀

From the point of view of buying RTR perhaps, for those unaffected by the current economic squeeze. Peak kit was the 1990s, I'd say - I wish I'd bought more then, though in truth that would mean that I simply had a larger stash now!

Edited by Compound2632
Capital I for first person pronoun - hopeless keyboard.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

A nice Great Eastern brake van would be lovely and an open or two would be good. 

I'll second that.  Whilst I'll get a solitary O11 (because I like the sheet rail) to accompany the earlier O21, there is a danger of me buying far too many GWR wagons for an East Anglian branch line.  I could however justify multiple purchases of any pre-grouping Great Eastern wagon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

I'll second that.  Whilst I'll get a solitary O11 (because I like the sheet rail) to accompany the earlier O21, there is a danger of me buying far too many GWR wagons for an East Anglian branch line.  I could however justify multiple purchases of any pre-grouping Great Eastern wagon.

Presuming your modelling period to be between the two wars, you need no justification for any ordinary open wagon. In addition to pre-Grouping GE types, you are just as likely to see pre-Grouping Cal, GC, GN, GW, LNW, L&Y, Mid, NB, or NE types - to list the companies with the largest fleets, and hence the more likely to be seen. But, as you say, not too many from any one company.  

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think I'll definitely be selling off a lot of Dapol wagons to fund new ones, depending what future PO wagons come out, I've got a plethora of Southern company wagons I've collected over the years comissioned via Dapol but unless I change the wheels on them all they derail all over the place and they basically become goods yard scenery because I never want to bother using them, none of those problems with Rapido wagons! 

53 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Presuming your modelling period to be between the two wars, you need no justification for any ordinary open wagon. In addition to pre-Grouping GE types, you are just as likely to see pre-Grouping Cal, GC, GN, GW, LNW, L&Y, Mid, NB, or NE types - to list the companies with the largest fleets, and hence the more likely to be seen. But, as you say, not too many from any one company.  

Originally, my thought was to model immediately pre-WW1, but having realised that period would rarely have seen wagons other than those owned by the Great Eastern or Private Owners, I'm now looking at settling on a period around 1918, just so I can justify the foreign wagons that are much easier to come by.  However, whilst the pooling of railway owned unfitted open wagons in 1917 gives me the excuse to order a couple of GW examples, I'd rather there was more examples from other companies and I assume that the switch from being exclusively Great Eastern opens to a totally random mix of wagons from all of the large companies didn't happen overnight.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

However, whilst the pooling of railway owned unfitted open wagons in 1917 gives me the excuse to order a couple of GW examples, I'd rather there was more examples from other companies and I assume that the switch from being exclusively Great Eastern opens to a totally random mix of wagons from all of the large companies didn't happen overnight.

Yes, it's hard to know how quickly the common user arrangement changed things, especially in a rural backwater of one of the larger companies. Photos of urban goods stations dating from the early 1920s show a wide mix of types (much more so than photos taken in the immediate pre-war period) but that setting may not reflect the rural situation, where much goods traffic was probably fairly local, or indeed the situation in 1918. So roll on the RTR GE open!

• Like 1