Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2023 - New tooling - Streamlined B17/5

AY Mod

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

These locos seem to have gone up from £209.99 to £249.99, a 20% hike. Plus they’re still not expected for at least eighteen months.  I think I’ve lost interest in buying one. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

24 minutes ago, Downer said:

These locos seem to have gone up from £209.99 to £249.99, a 20% hike. Plus they’re still not expected for at least eighteen months.  I think I’ve lost interest in buying one. 

Thanks for the heads up.

Is this Hornby's standard practice now? Announce a pre-order item and up the price by 20% (or 10% twice) before it arrives into stock. What purpose does it serve, other than to highlight their incompetence in pricing their own products?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, toby_tl10 said:

Thanks for the heads up.

Is this Hornby's standard practice now? Announce a pre-order item and up the price by 20% (or 10% twice) before it arrives into stock. What purpose does it serve, other than to highlight their incompetence in pricing their own products?

Might be worth watching the news before you blame Hornby....

Not my first choice of news source,  but handy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cljev4jz3pjt

Jason

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

Gosh tell me about it…

In 2.5 years weve gone from R40141 Rocket 3rd coach at £16.99 , to a £90 (£30 ea) three pack in 2022, to a cool £120 for 2 rocket coaches (£59.50 ea)

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lmr-coach-pack-wellington-globe-queen-adelaides-coach-era-1-r40357

I make that about 250% inflation in 2.5 years, for what is a basic 4 wheeled generic wagon.

By comparison, a the price of Gold was £1333 an ounce by end of November 2020, its £1514 an ounce today.

An ounce of gold in Nov 2020 would buy 78 R40141 wagons

Today an ounce of gold would buy 25 wagons (12 sets).

better order that B17 now, its a bargain

🙂

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

Might be worth sending the link to Margate. They seem to be the one oblivious to the cost of living crisis since they can't price their products adequately.

I struggle to name another model railway manufacturer who *quietly* increased the price by 20% halfway through pre-order. If you can't foresee future circumstances, just set the price as TBA until you can. If you announced a pre-order price, stick to it. That's how every other manufacturer does it, but I suppose Hornby wants to maintain their uniqueness in the industry.

If you really have to impose a price increase halfway through pre-order, maybe at least try to speak to your customers? I don't know whether they contacted those who already pre-ordered it as I'm not one of those people, but they certainly don't want to communicate to their potential customers i.e. those who haven't pre-ordered it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Gosh tell me about it…

In 2.5 years weve gone from R40141 Rocket 3rd coach at £16.99 , to a £90 (£30 ea) three pack in 2022, to a cool £120 for 2 rocket coaches (£59.50 ea)

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lmr-coach-pack-wellington-globe-queen-adelaides-coach-era-1-r40357

Not to disagree with your message, but R40357 appears to be 3 coaches instead of 2?

1. Wellington

2. Globe

3. Queen Adelaide's coach

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, toby_tl10 said:

quietly* increased the price by 20% halfway through pre-order.

But, if you pre-ordered through Hornby they honour the original price quoted...

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Markits wheelset £84 (this was for a B12 so assuming similar for a B17/5)

Comet chassis £34.50 (can use a Hornby one)

B17/5 resin body from ebay £54

Hornby tender chassis from ebay £5

Paint, transfers and handrail knobs - £20?

Motor and gearbox £25-£30

Just under £225 to build your own. Not everyone wants to do that of course but it's been said recently that RTR has started working out cheaper than building a kit.

Edited by Bucoops
Forgot motor and gearbox
  • Like 1

In fairness to Hornby, they informed retailers fairly recently of the price increase as well as the price increase on the LNER Coronation Coaches. 

A casual glance seems to indicate that retailers have adjusted their prices.

Reason given was manufacturing inflation. From that l understood that prices had gone up in China. Not much they can do about that.

• RMweb Gold

Numerous reasons for price increases particularly on imported goods due to changes in the value of the £.  If a company gets its currency hedging wrong that will feed through to pricing.   Oddly despite increasing prices a while back due toi higher shipping costs Hornby don't seem to have taken advantage of reduced shipping costs to limit price increase percentages.

But whatever we think or say what we do know is that Hornby is in a poor financial position and it therefore needs to get money in .  Price increases are a way of achieving that provided they bring in more than any loss of sales caused by the higher prices. And it looks like the company has realised that price resistance in one of it markets has cost it sales - not that I think that will feed through to hi-fi models.

And don't forget that notwithstanding numerous moans about their pricing Bachmann increased their prices and conbsequently returned to profitability.  Maybe Hornby hope they can do the same - in some of their  markets?

• 4 months later...
On 30/06/2023 at 18:02, toby_tl10 said:

Thanks for the heads up.

Personally, I buy very few Hornby products now save two HD A4's that are currently on pre-order.

When you actually compare the value for money/quality and fixed pricing from Accurascale, Rapido and others, it's a no brainer.

Hornbys pricing policy is the reason why many items remain unsold and end up heavily discounted at retailers!

• Agree 3