Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EFE Rail Class 143/144 Pacer

AY Mod

On 08/02/2023 at 22:03, Bob83a said:

The description just says speaker fitted, no clue as to whether if it is prewired, however because the decoder fitting is a next18 then the speaker should be prewired to the main PCB and just plugging in a decoder should be enough.

With regards to the Farish model it depended on what type of connection was fitted to the model, if it had a 6 or 8 pin connection then the speaker cannot be connected to the decoder via pins on the connector (there are not enough pins) , hence separate wires from the speaker to the decoder direct. With Plux, Next18 or 21 pin connection then there are pins on the connection specifically for the speaker.

15 hours ago, Great Waterton said:

I intended to purchase the Regional Railways 144 and anticipated having to do a bit of work to make the weathering acceptable but having inspected it up close yesterday I didn't bother. The weathering is terrible. Hopefully in the future a clean one will appear!

Funny enough, your not the first person I've seen who has said that. It seems that, for reasons unknown, they've really chosen to shoot themselves in the foot with some terrible weathering on these. I did think about the GWR one myself, but having both seen the weathering applied close up and the bizarreness around the model, I would rather wait for an upgraded model from Realtrack to be honest! 

Edited by surfsup
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, surfsup said:

Funny enough, your not the first person I've seen who has said that. It seems that, for reasons unknown, they've really chosen to shoot themselves in the foot with some terrible weathering on these! I did think about the GWR one myself, but having both seen the weathering applied close up and the bizarreness around the model, I would rather wait for one from Realtrack to be honest! 

It does seem to depend on the light and the weathering varies accordingly but the spray all over in one colour approach looks awful. To me at least, it might well appeal to others. The Regional Railways one is so splattered you can barely see through the windows and there's more dirt on the bodysides than there is on the underframe! I appreciate there was the odd occasion when they really were dirty but it was very rare and in my experience they were generally kept quite clean. Even into the late 1990s they didn't look bad at all. The small handful of photographs online of dirty ones are also a totally different look to how this model has been released so quite what they're aiming for is beyond me. 😂

And as for the other liveries that have been weathered, I've NEVER seen any of them EVER look as filthy as that, even in winter.

It's a very bizarre situation because as we've seen Bachmann have offered some absolutely stunning factory weathering jobs in recent years. Even the EFE 58 in faded Railfreight Red Stripe looked good. But these Pacers? Terrible. Such a disappointment.

Nevermind though, hopefully at some stage we'll see some clean ones. And if not Realtrack's will be clean. 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Phil Mc said:

Presumably being bought by people that haven't seen one up close.....

The weathering is almost certainly the worst 'factory' version I have ever seen !!

Cheers,

Phil.

Wow, that must be going some to beat some of the terrible Heljan weathering. 

Roy

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Wow, that must be going some to beat some of the terrible Heljan weathering. 

Roy

I know what you mean, but I stand by my statement !!

The GWR one I saw for sale at Doncaster on Saturday was truly horrible, I'm not sure how they managed to achieve a masking shadow behind the cab front lamp bracket that was at least twice, if not three times, the width of the bracket !! 😲

Cheers,

Phil.

5 minutes ago, Phil Mc said:

I know what you mean, but I stand by my statement !!

The GWR one I saw for sale at Doncaster on Saturday was truly horrible, I'm not sure how they managed to achieve a masking shadow behind the cab front lamp bracket that was at least twice, if not three times, the width of the bracket !! 😲

Cheers,

Phil.

Yeah! Impressive stuff and has got me confused! Still the weathering being so bad has saved me being tempted with one just because I have fond memories of commuting on the GWR ones around Bristol. I remember them having clean sides but in winter the windows being steamed up. They've almost cracked that bit ;)

Edited by dj_crisp
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have to say the weathering has put me off - I'd like to see them do a pristine version.

I wouldn't have bought one for myself, but my eldest loves all things GWR - modern image that is - and while he probably wouldn't have been that bothered about the weathering, it would bother me, and its my wallet!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JohnR said:

I have to say the weathering has put me off - I'd like to see them do a pristine version.

I wouldn't have bought one for myself, but my eldest loves all things GWR - modern image that is - and while he probably wouldn't have been that bothered about the weathering, it would bother me, and its my wallet!

Have to agree, and having seen the youtube clip further up the page I have to ask what EFE / Bachmann / whoever were thinking.  As mentioned it looks like it has been on an RHTT circuit for a month, or else the St Phillips Marsh carriage washers have been OOS for weeks

Not for me, even though I prefer weathered trains to pristine ones 

Edited by Covkid

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Covkid said:

Have to agree, and having seen the youtube clip further up the page I have to ask what EFE / Bachmann / whoever were thinking.  As mentioned it looks like it has been on an RHTT circuiot for a month, or else the St Phillips Marsh carriage washers have been OOS for weeks

Not for me, even though I prefer weathered trains to pristine ones 

I have only seen mucky trains during cold spells when the depots switch the washers off to prevent them freezing, so I wouldn't run one of those filthy things when the model trees are green.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, cs233 said:

Seems the Regional Railways version is selling fast despite the weathering. It is already sold out at Rails, would order immediately if you intend to buy.

Was thinking the same earlier today so ordered one from derails earlier today, not sure if they have anymore left.

Another issue for me on the T&W Pacer 143 and the Regional Railways 144 is that the front lighting is wrong too, which irks me on a £200+ model. Presumably the upcoming (at some point) newly tooled Realtrack offering would address this.

A contributory factor of EFE's good sales could well be that some (or all?) of these liveries haven't been produced before and therefore people are jumping on them. Again I find this completely understandable.

I did always wonder why Realtrack never made another batch of these after their initial run/s? With different numbers and destinations, naturally, but I'm positive they would have sold well. To me personally it's always felt like a case of "We've made them, that's your lot, move on" which seems an odd way to go about things. However, I'm certainly no businessman so perhaps someone knows otherwise...?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4