Warley NEC National Show 25th & 26th November 2023

Chris M

I'm pleased that I'll be getting to see one of my layouts there, albeit no longer owned by me!

B18 "A Taste of Alber", Czech 760mm narrow gauge in TTe using Z gauge track in 1:120 scale. Nice one David Paylor (the new owner!).

How it started and how it ended up:

sFNMdQt.jpg

L7feE3Y.jpg

• Like 6

An excellent show so far. The BRM stand is set up, and we'll be ready to dish out our FREE taster magazines to everyone who passes buy. It's an excellent issue, as seen here being modelled by a random early visitor.

Flinty.jpg

He looks happy with it!

Trade is good, with many temptations. I have my eye on a Merlin live steam loco, and whitemetal lifeboat kit. So far though, the only thing to make me part with money, is the excellent representation of 4472 from Locomotion.

Flying Duck.jpg

And before you ask why they didn't make it in blue, and call it "Mallard" - that one's next.

Layouts are many and varied. I think my favourite may well be this one.

Layout cake.jpg

Seriously, it's another very good show. Don't miss it!

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

7 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Who's selling the ducks, @Phil Parker, and how much?

Locomotion, and I think £8.99 (They weren't taking money at the time, but I'm assured that Dennis "the bruiser" Lovatt, will be after me for payment the moment they are.)

There's a whole lot of entertaining Scotsman merch. The socks are too small for me, but the small snowglobe for a tenner is, erm, kitch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

adjective. showing unfeeling resistance to tender feelings. “his flinty gaze” synonyms: flint, granitic, obdurate, stony hardhearted, heartless. lacking in feeling or pity or warmth......

Flinty.jpg.c6cf5492ce9136ae7abfe89c035fd22c.jpg.7d36dafbe93db15d4cf9bee359898d8a.jpg

Surely not.....

Edited by Gilbert
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Domestic turmoil today due to arrival of new grandson in Cardiff …. Our trip to NEC tomorrow is safe but unfortunate effect is the catering department has been otherwise occupied! Hence no millionaire’s shortbread …. Sorry @Phil Parker  @McC and most of all @Enterprisingwestern

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Well that is that!  Out of hall and 99% ready not quite as smooth as I would have liked  but every day is a school day - mainly arithmetic which never was my strong point.  Last job was distributing resting chairs per the floor plan.  Hopefully a welcome feature. 

See some happy readers tomorrow!

Robert   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Well that is that!  Out of hall and 99% ready not quite as smooth as I would have liked  but every day is a school day - mainly arithmetic which never was my strong point.  Last job was distributing resting chairs per the floor plan.  Hopefully a welcome feature. 

See some happy readers tomorrow!

Robert   

Hi Robert, could I have a spare table?

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The big weekend is here. Petty much everything was set up yesterday. 

My plan is to spend as much of the two days as possible playing trains and chatting. I dare say I will get called away from running trains to perform various duties over the weekend though. Apparently Modelu are going to scan me, I really can't see why. Something to do with me being Warley club chairman I guess. That will make for an odd shaped figure. I will have to speak with the exhibition sponsors on Sunday which will be a nice bit of hobnobbing for me. I shall have my layout t-shirt on all weekend. I did have a maroon jacket but I have passed that on to someone else. My jacket seems to have shrunk in the wardrobe over the years.

I hope everyone who comes to the exhibition has a great time and spends loads of money. I said I wasn't going to buy anything but after a walk around the hall yesterday evening I can feel myself succumbing to temptation.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Hobby said:

I'm pleased that I'll be getting to see one of my layouts there, albeit no longer owned by me!

B18 "A Taste of Alber", Czech 760mm narrow gauge in TTe using Z gauge track in 1:120 scale. Nice one David Paylor (the new owner!).

How it started and how it ended up:

sFNMdQt.jpg

L7feE3Y.jpg

That looks interesting. Must come over and have a good look when I get a break in demo'ing over the weekend.

Our TT scale Czech layout ' Smrzovka' is due out in January 2024 at the Bognor Regis show, its first outing in over 5 years.

• Like 3

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

This has to be the longest queue for pre-paid tickets I’ve ever experienced at this exhibition.

They've done it to beat the queues.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

OK, those of you who are there today, please report back later on your "Must see" layouts of the show for the benefit of those of us who are going tomorrow (it's always handy having someone else do your research for you!).

Also, to make my daughter happy, any layouts featuring cats and/or pigeons!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

This has to be the longest queue for pre-paid tickets I’ve ever experienced at this exhibition.

Went to another show quite recently and at that the prepaid was longer than the pay on entry..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just as an FYI for those heading for the afternoon and more for those departing, unfortunately and tragically there has been a fatality between BHI and COV which is causing understandable disruption around Birmingham in general.

• Thanks 1