Rapido SECR O1 0-6-0 (OO Gauge)

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, cctransuk said:

It doesn't matter how shiny the dome cover was when it left the shed - beneath it was the actual dome, which was very hot.

Polished brass dulls very quickly when hot - quite apart from the smuts, ash, smoke and steam in which it spent a great deal of time.

CJI.

So I guess by your reckoning number 65 at the Bluebell must be a fake loco with a diesel engine in the tender!

Sorry, don’t talk nonsense!

The dome on No, 65 on the Bluebell remains highly polished and reflective throughout the day (there are a huge number of photos and videos to prove it on the internet) despite it being full of hot steam and the loco being worked pretty hard on some services.

Its something I have seen first hand with my own eyes when undertaking signalman’s duties.

Given the pride (and labour resources available) to pre grouping companies before WW1 I bet a similar-ish approach was taken even if it was a goods engine.

Its only after the start of WW1 that standards started to slip so the assumption of many that goods engines wouldn’t have received the same attention as passenger ones probably has more to do mindsets stuck in the BR 1950s / 60s era and extrapolating that onto earlier time periods rather than a serious consideration of the matter.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 3

Hello whart57,

The Brian Hart/Wild Swan book on the Sheppey Light refers to the Don Bradley information and of Q class tank 73 working on the Light until 1922. There is a photo of 73 on page 67 on a service to Leysdown in 1921.

It was then replaced on Light services by O class 99. On page 35 there is a photo of an O class working to Leysdown per WW1.

So, no confirmation of any O1 working on the Light but we can dream can't we.

Cheers, Nigel.

My O1 will be working between Brighton and Portsmouth, I think out of my entire loco collection the only rtr locos I've actually seen photos of operating on that coastal line during grouping are E4s and H2s 😄 and I3s but I never bought the Works model, many a rule 1 applied. I use WW2 as an excuse for all sorts of Southern locos showing up on services, the lack of wartime photos plays into my favour 😜

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Perhaps Rapido could use turned brass parts for the dome and safety valve cover and those who want to polish can, those that don't.....don't.

That is a good suggestion though I expect cost may go against it.

Ultimately however metal paint is a lousy substitute colour wise for true metal (however much care is put into its formulation) and although it’s a given that RTR cannot use metal for every copper / brass element with something as prominent as the polished dome in SECR locos there is a strong case for something better than paint to be used.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

O(1) Lovely. Another very attractive small pre-group 0-6-0 design appearing in RTR form. Everybody buy at least one, and Rapido just might provide many more.

BR only inherited something just short of 60 designs which between them constituted a third of the tender locos on the books - every model railway intended to be representative of pre 1960 needs at least one...

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Really looking forward to this one, an 01 has been on the list for a while and the lack of painting skills I have for fully lined SECR has always stopped me from trying any kit of it. 

I wonder if this makes the SECR the first company to have all of their preserved locomotives available in one way or another ready to run. With the C - D - H - Ps - N and now the 01 it would be interesting to know for sure. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, WD1995 said:

Really looking forward to this one, an 01 has been on the list for a while and the lack of painting skills I have for fully lined SECR has always stopped me from trying any kit of it. 

I wonder if this makes the SECR the first company to have all of their preserved locomotives available in one way or another ready to run. With the C - D - H - Ps - N and now the 01 it would be interesting to know for sure. 

Not an authority, but these railways have/will have all their preserved engines modelled. Liverpool&Manchester- Lion, Highland Rly - Jones Goods, LBSC - A1, E4, E1 with Rapido playing a key part in that. Am sure there are others particularly where there is a sole survivor. Certainly SECR aficionados are well served!

14 hours ago, stephennicholson said:

Not an authority, but these railways have/will have all their preserved engines modelled. Liverpool&Manchester- Lion, Highland Rly - Jones Goods, LBSC - A1, E4, E1 with Rapido playing a key part in that. Am sure there are others particularly where there is a sole survivor. Certainly SECR aficionados are well served!

Fully agree with the final sentence and, having a soft spot for all pre-grouping things Southern, I have pre-ordered No 65.

Not wishing to drift off thread, I’ve never understood why there haven’t been more examples from the LSWR. In particular it seems a no-brainer for a T3 to be produced, bearing in mind the beautiful spectacle of 563 now running at Swanage.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, stephennicholson said:

but these railways have/will have all their preserved engines modelled.... Am sure there are others particularly where there is a sole survivor.

All of the preserved Isle of Wight locos have now been produced (barring some that only went there during the preservation era), although not all in their Island liveries. The Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport Railway does well in that 50% of it's entire loco fleet has been preserved...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Deeps said:

Not wishing to drift off thread, I’ve never understood why there haven’t been more examples from the LSWR. In particular it seems a no-brainer for a T3 to be produced, bearing in mind the beautiful spectacle of 563 now running at Swanage.

I can only imagine the chances of an RTR T3 being made have gone up now 563 is actually restored and running.

It will be easier for her to be scanned, looked over in detail, and even have sound recordings done. I just hope it's done by someone competent 😄

Edited by Obsidian Quarry
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

48 minutes ago, Deeps said:

... I’ve never understood why there haven’t been more examples from the LSWR. In particular it seems a no-brainer for a T3 ...

It's pure luck that the loco that happened to be available on the dump when required was from one of the larger classes of Adams 4-4-0 .... but at 20 examples arguably less in need of model representation than an A12 0-4-2 ( 90 locos ) or 0395 0-6-0 ( 70 locos ) - both of which had significantly longer service lives. ( There were 50 T1 0-4-4T but probably too much like the O2 or M7 to become popular models.)

• Agree 3

Gladstone and the T3 are second by me.

What is perhaps more amazing than the IOW preserved engines is that the EKR is getting a lot of coverage in RTR. A small backwater make do railway, whose locos never ventured onto the mainline (other than for possible overhaul). Rapido is adding an O1 to it with potential for an eventual 2nd or even 3rd one (tooling needed). Infracombe goods next??? 

• Like 1