Rapido SECR O1 0-6-0 (OO Gauge)

AY Mod

13 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Well it's the first Friday of the month, so it's time for a rejected livery on our social media posts.

This instalment pontificates on what the O1 might look like in the same livery as P Class 'Bluebell' complete with Bluebell Railway crest.

Looks rather nice, shame really.....

rejected-jan-blue-O1a.jpg.3caf3007de543e177718b5be32e37048.jpg

rejected-jan-blue-O1-rear.jpg.ac71ad4e3f217606fcf8c5ce1d6f5808.jpg

Regardless of the rejection, I love that. I do have the Hatton's P in that livery, and it is one of my favourites.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Well it's the first Friday of the month, so it's time for a rejected livery on our social media posts.

This instalment pontificates on what the O1 might look like in the same livery as P Class 'Bluebell' complete with Bluebell Railway crest.

Corbs, you remind me of my teenage crush."Look at all this lovely stuff. Shame you can't get it."

• Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 hours ago, friscopete said:

Pay Bluebell to paint loco in that livery for a while then its a valid finish .Who could possibly argue with that .😇

A bit like the BR black livery for City of Truro?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Does this count as a different version of improved engine green?

Anyway, as this is a blue engine, I approve. 

You should make this.  Also, everybody knows blue engines are the best... 😋

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 05/01/2024 at 09:42, RapidoCorbs said:

Build a proper Caledonian loco instead. A nice Dunalastair or maybe Cardean . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

Well I'd have bought one!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

That with the name would sell as well as the P Bluebell and that’s on a second run! 
Go on, yer know you want to! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes, Hattons are on a second run of that livery. I realise that this blue livery is a preservation prototype livery for P Class No.323, but I imagine most purchasers simply reacted to the fact that it's stupid-pretty and well-nigh irresistible. I have no possible use for one, yet only just managed to resist the first run, only to succumb and pre-order the second.

Would I buy a stupid-pretty blue O1 to go with?  

Obviously.

image.png.5cafbfcc2c2d1fea1bc0035292770689.png

Go on, you know you want one...

rejected-jan-blue-O1a.jpg.3caf3007de543e177718b5be32e37048-Copy.jpg.78f5291a91420d73570e86b12eea9918.jpg

rejected-jan-blue-O1-rear.jpg.ac71ad4e3f217606fcf8c5ce1d6f5808(1).jpg.b59793a522002b06949bcbf81676af17.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
Pictures
  • Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 06/01/2024 at 20:52, Legend said:

Absolutely YES and YES!

Although not a Dunalastair, just look at this CR scrumptious beauty...

While not a SECR 01 class and definitely off topic, I was reading in the Caledonian Railway Locomotives: the Classic Years book that the design of the SECR Wainwright D owes its origin to a Dunalastair II.  Not that a Wainwright D is an 01 either... Sorry, sorry, back to topic: lovely blue / green engines!

117791291_10223954630350583_3500462162006946321_n.jpg

Edited by palmsticks
Imahge aaaaddded
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/01/2024 at 20:52, Legend said:

Caledonian 439 0.4.4T. Instant branchline in a box. 'Nuff said. 

Rob

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/product/secr-o1-no-65-bramble-bluebell-railway-blue-what-if/

This livery will be a conditional release and will be only possible if we are able to achieve sufficient pre-orders. So, if you are keen to add Bramble to your collection, get your pre-order in now!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 28/11/2023 at 11:06, Edwardian said:

Thanks and congratulations if you have come this far. In summary, before it became standard to include a pre-Grouping in-service loco in a new release, Bachmann produced the preserved C in Wainwright livery with Maunsell rivets. As the practice of announcing pre-Grouping in-service versions took hold, Dapol/Rails produced the D in Wainwright livery without such rivets and without the later boiler band. Hattons, caught between these two differing approaches, gave you the option of accurate buffers for the Wainwright era Ps, but left you with the Maunsell rivets.  

What does this mean for the O1? Well, my question to Rapido would be whether we are to have a smooth, rivet free, smokebox face and wrapper for the in-service No.373 in fully lined Wainwright livery?

If we do not, it will not be accurate for the Wainwright period. I am conscious, however, that this is probably the only era/version, that would require a smooth smokebox. Later grey SECR and subsequent liveries, including the preserved condition, would all correctly feature these rivets. That is a significant tooling cost increase, I would imagine, for a single version. It would, however, be consistent with the standards of accuracy current in the market where pre-Grouping in-service variants are offered.

https://shorturl.at/fCGH5

A Riveting Update for the O1

We always like to push the boundaries of design where we can to be as accurate as possible, and the upcoming O1 is no different. Throughout our research process, it was identified that the SECR (non-preserved) Wainwright Green version we were planning on doing had a slightly different smokebox. All other era versions seemed to have rivets whereas the locomotive we were using as a point of reference appeared to have flush rivets, creating a smooth finish on the smokebox.

During the initial stages of the design process, we decided to make a compromise and use a single riveted smokebox across the range as there were examples of both at the time. As the design progressed it became apparent that the compromise was no longer such a burden and a flush-riveted smokebox could be included, of course this contradicts the initial art that we have been showing off, but we felt that it was a decision we could make to improve the overall accuracy of the range, and would therefore be a popular decision with everyone.

While we were at it, we reviewed the design of the model overall, so made a couple of other changes, these include a slight tweak to the chimney height and smokebox door profile, and the polybag will now have the correct "3 shackle" couplings included.

Edited by greatcoleswoodhalt
  • Like 4

Rapido had kindly already updated us that a nice flush smokebox would be included - I pre-ordered a 373 immediately on learning this - but it's nice to have some interesting insight on the decision. Thanks again Rapido.

Oh, and, yes, I've just pre-ordered a Bramble and I'd encourage all those interested in this stunning what-if to do likewise; it's a conditional release, we are told, so only voting with your wallets will count. 

Celebrate the unlikely!

image.png.352664ff18503768de8412b06068e41f.png 

Edited by Edwardian
Spelling!
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

....only voting with your wallets will count.

If someone donates me the money I'll be happy to add it to my Museum of Pointless Wastes of Earth's Resources

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

12 minutes ago, DavidH said:

If someone donates me the money I'll be happy to add it to my Museum of Pointless Wastes of Earth's Resources

Along with the time it took you to share that gratuitously negative sentiment. Sometimes manufacturers must wonder why they bother.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Along with the time it took you to share that gratuitously negative sentiment. Sometimes manufacturers must wonder why they bother.

Manufacturers bother because we ask them to, and they can make a profit which we do not begrudge them. 

Talking of which, I have ordered one too. I wonder how many pre-orders they need before going ahead.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Budgie said:

Manufacturers bother because we ask them to, and they can make a profit which we do not begrudge them. 

As it should be

2 minutes ago, Budgie said:

Talking of which, I have ordered one too. I wonder how many pre-orders they need before going ahead.

Hurrah! Fingers crossed

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

With regards to the donation, should I put you down for a "no"?

Edited by DavidH
  • Funny 2