Rapido SECR O1 0-6-0 (OO Gauge)

AY Mod

Just now, Compound2632 said:

O my goodness! I don't suppose there would be any prospect of an original O? Which incidentally could double up as a Hull & Barnsley Class C - Matthew Stirling followed his uncle's designs more closely than his father's!

Indeed. An O1 with sandboxes above, an early Wainwright boilered O1, the Os.... are we are not far off from other SER types either.... A LOT of potential but clearly far too many in one go. The 3 on order are "gulp" but had the same when I brought four D class 2 years back.... 20+ years ago, I was expecting to have to build all the preserved SECR locos (I have done 31065) but now everything is RTR. Bit by bit.

• Like 1

And it's a ten from me (slipping into Strictly-speak). My first successful loco build was making an O out of a Jidenco O1 kit.

This loco is the cornerstone of SECR and Southern Eastern section layouts. Much more so than the C or D class. The O1 turned up everywhere, even on the light railways of Kent. The East Kent had one, plus a couple that were rebuilt Os without being the full O1, and a trio were kept at Dover shed for Tilmanstone coal traffic until the end of steam. The K&ESR never had O1s but when BR took over O1s operated the Headcorn to Tenderden section while Terriers took on the Tenderden to Robertsbridge bit.

It could be argued that the O1 was a SER loco rebuilt by the LCDR to become an SECR loco, in that the changes made on rebuild came from Longhedge rather than Ashford practice. Just as the C class was mostly an enlarged LCDR B class.

• Like 5

Excellent news. I agree with Captain Kernow in hoping that the tooling will allow for the version with the smokebox wing plates and sandboxes on the running to be produced in the future. To my eye they were the nicest, more old-fashioned looking, and more easily distinguishable from the C class.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Excellent news. The unmade Jidenco kit that has been in the cupboard for over 40 years will stay there! I would never have gained the expertise to make it anyway. The real O1s had a very good reputation & were often referred to as a '7/8ths C'.

• Like 2

Good afternoon folks,

I was convinced that I had seen a photo of a 01 in my books on the Sheppey Light Railway, but it turns out that they were of the earlier 0 class.

Still, Rule 1 is to be applied and the SECR green livery one has been ordered. It will run on my version of the Sheppey Light to keep Terrier 751 and P class 27 company. Along with a D class that 'may' have run on the island :)

Given that both my parents came from Sheerness and the Light ran at the end of an aunt's garden anything related is a 'must have '.

Brilliant stuff Rapido, just a R/R1 (0-4-4T) and the articulated trailers please Andy/Linny ;)

Cheers, Nigel.

Edited by GMKAT7
Sheppey came out as Shelley in para 2. That's my dog's name!
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good afternoon folks,

I was convinced that I had seen a photo of a 01 in my books on the Sheppey Light Railway, but it turns out that they were of the earlier 0 class.

Still, Rule 1 is to be applied and the SECR green livery one has been ordered. It will run on my version of the Shelley Light to keep Terrier 751 and P class 27 company. Along with a D class that 'may' have run on the island :)

Given that both my parents came from Sheerness and the Light ran at the end of an aunt's garden anything related is a 'must have '.

Brilliant stuff Rapido, just a R/R1 (0-4-4T) and the articulated trailers please Andy/Linny ;)

Cheers, Nigel.

These photos claim to be an O1 31065 at Sheerness but they look more like a C to me  :

https://pbase.com/luckytrev/image/100738034

https://pbase.com/luckytrev/image/39140619

This one definitely is (and I suspect the same loco in the previous photos): https://pbase.com/luckytrev/image/35748151

Still if a C class can go there, an O1 definitely can.

• Informative/Useful 1

51 minutes ago, locoholic said:

Excellent news. I agree with Captain Kernow in hoping that the tooling will allow for the version with the smokebox wing plates and sandboxes on the running to be produced in the future. To my eye they were the nicest, more old-fashioned looking, and more easily distinguishable from the C class.

I notice that the Hatton description says "Rapido Trains UK OO 0-6-0 Class O/ O1 SECR (2024)"-   perhaps they are preparing us for Batch with the original SER variant.  By the way, a nice alternative would be the EKLR No. 6 which retained its Stiring cab until withdrawl as BR 31372 in 1949.

The last Class O (domeless boiler) was A436 withdrawn in 1932-

Edited by GeoffBird
more info.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Light Railway Rule 1 will definitely apply to one of these.

I will start looking for documentary proof in the Archives, that the East Kent Railway actually joined the Association of Independent Light Railways in the late 1950s. This would permit an example of one of these to be transferred or loaned to one of the other member railways, such as in Somerset or Radnorshire.

• Round of applause 4

Hello J Spencer,

Thanks very much for the link to the photo of the 01 at Sittingbourne on a Sheerness service.

If it happened in BR days I sure it could have happened in SECR times as well ;) I also agree with the logic that if a C class made the Light then a 01 could have as well!

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 2

I do wonder about the EKR 100 being black. We know she was definitely black when she carried number 2.

However various photos taken in the 30s shown in Lawson Finch and Garret's book on the EKR all show distinction 2 tones and even possibly lining which looks more akin to other EKR locos that were painted in green rather than those we know were painted black. This is particularly evident between the tender sides and chassis.

The text in the same book shows that it is unsure. One though is the loco arrived in SOUTHERN lined black with EKR number and lettering. Another is that it arrived in EKR green.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Shooting Star said:

I'm not very knowledgeable about SR liveries - are any of the offered choices suitable for a layout set (roughly) in the 1930s? Possibly #1437?

Yes, 1437 would be ideal for the majority of the 30s. 1046 would be okay for end of the 30s when Bulleid took over.
1437 is still okay for going into the war years. Many locos still carried pre-war liveries.

Edited by Obsidian Quarry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Super announcement, I already have a kit built version of 65 in SE&CR livery so glad an alternative number is being offered. Amazing to think that in roughly the last 10-15yrs all the preserved SE&CR loco classes have been made available in RTR form, must be the best represented pre grouping company? Anyway I'm delighted and grateful to Rapido for making the 01 available.

• Like 1

I think this is my favourite of today's announcements- I really don't need one, it's miles outside my modelling interests- but as I've somehow acquired an East Kent Adams Radial, and a Kerr Stuart Victory, it really would be rude not to have that EKR version to go with them...

Edited by Invicta
  • Like 1