Rapido SECR O1 0-6-0 (OO Gauge)

AY Mod

16 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

It's a tooling compromise.

Hi Corbs

Was a one piece chimney moulding considered that could be push fitted into the smokebox? If possible it would look a lot more prototypical. 

Cheers

Andy. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Ventnor said:

Hi Corbs

Was a one piece chimney moulding considered that could be push fitted into the smokebox? If possible it would look a lot more prototypical. 

Cheers

Andy. 

We need to remember that this is a pre-production sample, complete with the inevitable occasional rough edge. 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, Olive_Green1923 said:

It really would be something to have an RTR version of that T3. No hints there at all, Rapido….. ;)

What a beautiful spectacle. As I’ve stated elsewhere on RMweb, the T3 (in the livery shown above) has to be the most elegant of steam locomotives and a RTR version is surely a no-brainer. Time will tell.

Somewhere in my stock of ongoing projects is a brass built T6. Apart from needing gearing and a motor it needs painting and lining but I couldn’t possibly replicate the finesse of current manufacturers. Therefore, I’ve put the project on hold in anticipation of a RTR T3 being announced. Perhaps, to ensure this will happen, I should continue the T6 build?

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

Very much looking forward to the O1. And hopefully someone will produce the T3, to with the EFE cross country sets if nothing else! I'm sure Rapido have their plate full. Although the tender from the O1 could be reused... A LBSC box van would go nicely with the E1... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

….A LBSC box van would go nicely with the E1... 

Have a look in the ‘Smaller Suppliers’ area, for the announcement by Oak Hill Works (originally by Train Times) for a LB&SCR D.1433 van. First announced in Oct 2023, the most recent post in the thread was Jan 29th.

Thank you to ‘Pre-Grouping Fan’ for spotting the date error!

Edited by Deeps
Date amended
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Deeps said:

Have a look in the ‘Smaller Suppliers’ area, for the announcement by Oak Hill Works (originally by Train Times) for a LB&SCR D.1433 van. First announced in Oct 1923, the most recent post in the thread was Jan 29th.

That's a very long development period on them models!

• Funny 4

On 24/03/2024 at 16:51, Deeps said:

What a beautiful spectacle. As I’ve stated elsewhere on RMweb, the T3 (in the livery shown above) has to be the most elegant of steam locomotives and a RTR version is surely a no-brainer. Time will tell.

Somewhere in my stock of ongoing projects is a brass built T6. Apart from needing gearing and a motor it needs painting and lining but I couldn’t possibly replicate the finesse of current manufacturers. Therefore, I’ve put the project on hold in anticipation of a RTR T3 being announced. Perhaps, to ensure this will happen, I should continue the T6 build?

I disagree, the T3 is a good looking loco but is not in the same league as the SE&CR D Class.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Venator said:

I disagree, the T3 is a good looking loco but is not in the same league as the SE&CR D Class.

I think one could make the argument that for 1893 the T3 was higher up the league table than the D was for 1903.

• Like 2

I'm not overly familiar with T3s, they're a little bit too South Western for me and I don't think they made it to wartime black? but I expect it is a case of not 'if' but 'when' one of the manufacturers decides to do one. A likely candidate for Rapido, Accurascale or maybe even Rails via someone. 

Anyway, got two of the Southern O1s on order, very much looking forward to then =) arguably a little bit too South Eastern for my geographical interest, not sure I've ever seen a photo of one Brighton side of Sussex but I don't care 😅

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I'm not overly familiar with T3s, they're a little bit too South Western for me and I don't think they made it to wartime black?

The class of 20 was complete in 1930 but down to just two by the end of 1936, with 571 withdrawn in 1943 and the preserved 563 in 1945.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

... and the preserved 563 in 1945.

563 was reinstated to traffic  in 1939 to help with the war effort - how helpful it was might be debatable - and was painted unlined Maunsell green with Bulleid insignia* according to Southern Style .......... presumably it remained thus until 1945.

* pre-war style, of course, with the pointy 'N's 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Venator said:

Each to his own, as they say, and we are lucky to have had a D Class RTR. I have the ‘Rails’ version of the D, in all its SECR finery, and it is certainly a beautiful model. As a lover of all things Southern, specifically the pre-grouping inheritances, I frequently change my mind when it comes to my favourite locomotive.

The D Class is certainly a strong contender, and we are fortunate in having had a succession of SECR locomotive models in RTR, but there will be a significant number of modellers who think there should be more 4-4-0 models from the LSWR. The T9 was the logical choice but, excellent though the prototype was, it doesn’t come close to the elegance of the D Class.

I think a T3 would be an obvious addition simply because it has that extra appealing feature - the outside cylinders. I find it difficult to put into words but, visually, it seems to be a more balanced locomotive.

• Like 2

I would have thought the T3 would be on Hornby's hit list. What with the observation car, MK1 and maunsell in the range. A Swanage train pack would be an instant win you would think. 

Anyway... I wonder if the good people at Rapido would consider an O1 train pack at some point? Seems like there are a nice selection of wagons in the range to match. Maybe with some sort of extra to lure people like unique wagon loads or something? A nice crew? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/04/2024 at 10:26, Wickham Green too said:

I think you'd struggle to find any genuine Kent coal !

But at least there is a Kent coalfield 00 gauge wagon now - Tilmasnton Colliery, Rapido 967221,  from The Hobby Shop in Faversham.

B

• Like 2

On 03/04/2024 at 09:26, Wickham Green too said:

I think you'd struggle to find any genuine Kent coal !

There is plenty to find in Betteshanger county park.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I really hope something can be done about the Chimney, with a completely un-prototypical join between diecast and plastic one third of the way up.

I really don't see why a plastic chimney can't be fitted flush on top of the smokebox, with a suitable sized lug/peg securing it in. Having dismantled a number of Hornby and Bachmann models, a commendably fine chimney flange is achieved while sitting flush onto the top of the smokebox (no recess needed). This really detracts from the elegance of the model. If Bachmann could do it a number of years ago on the C, I don't understand why it can't be done here.

It seems a bit un-rapido-ish to have such a compromise.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3