Rapido SECR O1 0-6-0 (OO Gauge)

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DavidH said:

If someone donates me the money I'll be happy to add it to my Museum of Pointless Wastes of Earth's Resources

Ah yes the MoPWoER, I have a lifetime membership.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Well I've ordered Bramble, it will look lovely next to the SECR green O1. I do have a pair of P class on order in the sane liveries as I missed out the first time. I do hope they'll still be produced, but that seems to be up in limbo at the moment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

For the avoidance of doubt, Bramble is available to pre-order but if we don't hit the minimum threshold of pre-orders then we'll cancel it, but no-one should lose any money.

Surely that should should be would otherwise you are saying they could

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Aside to invoking “Rule 1”, if I’m modelling mid-late 1920s, can I get away with 373 in Wainwright Green? (Renumbered if necessary). I’m sure I’ve seen some photos of engines (possibly an O1 or a C class) carrying that livery until that period? Or would it have to be either 385 Wartime Grey or A7 Lined Black? I’m not sure if Grey remained on the engines until Grouping, or whether they had an interim livery (Wainwright Green?) until they were painted Lined Black?

Another reason I ask is because all my goods engines are Lined Black, and given that second-hand C and D classes in the Wainwright Green livery are astronomically expensive, I would like an excuse to buy the Green version this time!

Edited by Olive_Green1923
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Olive_Green1923 said:

Aside to invoking “Rule 1”, if I’m modelling mid-late 1920s, can I get away with 373 in Wainwright Green? (Renumbered if necessary). I’m sure I’ve seen some photos of engines (possibly an O1 or a C class) carrying that livery until that period? Or would it have to be either 385 Wartime Grey or A7 Lined Black? I’m not sure if Grey remained on the engines until Grouping, or whether they had an interim livery (Wainwright Green?) until they were painted Lined Black?

Another reason I ask is because all my goods engines are Lined Black, and given that second-hand C and D classes in the Wainwright Green livery are astronomically expensive, I would like an excuse to buy the Green version this time!

Grey was used by the SECR from wartime until the end of pre-grouping. Full Wainwright livery stopped around 1911 on goods engines with simplified (not much simplified taking over).

From say - 1914 - Maunsell green started to be used (see accurascale P class 178)  for a couple of years with only a small percentage of locos were painted before grey took over.

So SECR grey would have been around for quite a while into the 1920s alongside SR liveries carrying an "A" suffix number.

It would be unlikely that any Wainwright livery loco would have missed a repaint between 1914 and 1921.

Invoking rule 1 is  probably your only choice I'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Grey was used by the SECR from wartime until the end of pre-grouping. Full Wainwright livery stopped around 1911 on goods engines with simplified (not much simplified taking over).

From say - 1914 - Maunsell green started to be used (see accurascale P class 178)  for a couple of years with only a small percentage of locos were painted before grey took over.

So SECR grey would have been around for quite a while into the 1920s alongside SR liveries carrying an "A" suffix number.

It would be unlikely that any Wainwright livery loco would have missed a repaint between 1914 and 1921.

Invoking rule 1 is  probably your only choice I'm afraid.

Thanks for this. I traced the photo I was thinking of. It’s O class no.96 which was photographed in 1926 with SECR livery (colour not specified), and Bradley confirms it was repainted Lined Black the same year. 

In terms of the O1s, the last to be repainted into Lined Black was 396 in 1927. In terms of Rapido’s no.385, this went to Lined Black in 1925.

So from a prototypical pov, one could get away with a grey livery for mid-late1920s (385 renumbered to 396). I don’t have a grey liveried SECR loco yet, so that is an option I suppose.

• Like 2

On 09/03/2024 at 11:24, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

I’m getting the Bluebell one and calling it freelance. It’ll match my P class!

Why? IMHO Bramble is much better than Freelance....

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

16 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

This has appeared on Facebook this morning. Have to say it's looking absolutely fantastic! Amazing level of detail under the boiler and in the cab.

Screenshot_20240316-121056.png.ab7455c86708d5f4734683a75ac82751.png

Lovely stuff. Do we yet know how much will be diecast vs plastic? 

• Like 1

On 16/03/2024 at 23:13, Pre Grouping fan said:

This has appeared on Facebook this morning. Have to say it's looking absolutely fantastic! Amazing level of detail under the boiler and in the cab.

Screenshot_20240316-121056.png.ab7455c86708d5f4734683a75ac82751.png

Now, I know that this is an early engineering prototype but I couldn't help noticing that the chimney has been moulded in two parts. The prototype has a one piece casting. Is this due to tooling restrictions or could the chimney be cast / moulded as a one piece item and then fixed direct to the smokebox? It does spoil the overall look of the chimney, and has this approach changed its shape due to the join? Some photos of the front end would be useful to see how the two piece approach has affected the look of the model. 

Apart from that the model is looking great.

Andy. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ventnor said:

It does spoil the overall look of the chimney, and has this approach changed its shape due to the join?

Now that its been pointed out its hard to unsee. A bit unfortunate since they did the same with the 15xx and it was more of an eye sore for me in-person then I hoped it would. I wonder why it was designed this way since they didn't do the same with many of their other steam locos.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

From what I remember there is two different chimneys being modelled.

It's probably easier from a tool-making point of view to split the chimney there and just change the top half than have it in one piece and end up having two or more smoke box mouldings.

• Like 2