OO gauge Austerity 2-10-0

Phil Parker

• Administrators

SVR shot.jpg

From KR Models:

This year we wanted to announce something special at the Warley show, that would be a worthy follow-on from our MR Big Bertha model. In our 5 years, this is our biggest model yet, it's HUGE.

Over the last few years, we have invited suggestions from you, our customers, for what models you would like to see added to our ready-to-run range. So many of you asked for the War Department 2-10-0 that it was hard to ignore. So we listened, and have been working on the WD as our next locomotive release!

Behind the scenes we have been working on this project for over a year with the help of the custodians of the full-size LMR number 600 'Gordon', measuring up the real locomotive on the Severn Valley Railway.

It was always our plan to announce this model at Warley this year and open our order books for you to reserve your model.

We have some really innovative new features too. This model will have options to specify not just a synchronised sound option using ESU Loksound V5 decoders, but also our newly designed synchronised smoke unit that uses a specially developed smoke fluid that is safe to use for long periods, and not oil-based. Plus all the features that you expect from a high precision RTR model as standard.

The War Department (WD) “Austerity” 2-10-0 is a type of heavy freight steam locomotive that was introduced during the Second World War in 1943, and is a powerhouse of an engine. The Austerity 2-10-0 commands respect wherever it roams, its presence on the rails could not be ignored. The Austerity 2-10-0 was based on the Austerity 2-8-0, and was designed to have interchangeable parts by R.A. Riddles. It was built cheaply, but it was built powerful. It had the same power output as the 2-8-0 but a lighter axle load, making it suitable for secondary lines. 100 were built for the war effort, with 150 being built in total. Even now after 90 years, the Austerity still makes appearances on the rails, proving that the old guard won’t be put down easily.

Specification:

• Pickup from all drive wheels and tender
  • Firebox flicker
  • 21pin DCC socket in tender
  • Detail differences to cater for different prototype variants
  • With and Without Westinghouse air pump
  • Full sound option with synchronised chuffs
  • Optional working synchronised non-oil-based smoke unit for sound-fitted models

Liveries:

• BR Early Crest Black
  • LMR blue/red
  • Olive Drab
  • Khaki Sand

Price:

• DCC ready £240
  • DCC sound fitted £340
  • DCC sound fitted plus smoke unit £370
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, I still wonder about their research efforts as delivery of the final 50 commenced two months before the end of the war in Europe and almost half of them were shipped to mainland Europe  - in several  cases before the end of the war with Germany.   The 20 that went to the LNER were all delivered after VE day but still prior to the end of WW!! - they all subsequently became part pf the BR class.

BTW where does 90 years come into things?   WD 3651. 'Gordon'/600 was the second one delivered (assuming they were delivered in WD running number order) and wasn't oushopped until December 1943 - 80 years ago.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

38 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

BTW where does 90 years come into things?   WD 3651. 'Gordon'/600 was the second one delivered (assuming they were delivered in WD running number order) and wasn't oushopped until December 1943 - 80 years ago.

Aha 😆 first to spot the typo 😁

8 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

Aha 😆 first to spot the typo 😁

Noted a while ago, but as the thread was closed could not comment.

Typical KR attention to detail that we have now become used to.

Given the alternative, why should anyone even bother to look any further at this?

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Perhaps anticipating production delays and managing expectations? 😜

• Funny 5

Going for the EC one myself. Adding VAT in brings the price closer to parity, and I'm afraid for me at least, smoke is a gimmick. You can't scale the stuff properly, so to me it always looks a bit silly.  I saw the EC 3d printed example on the stand at Warley, and the staff there were very helpful.  Also, no upfront cost on pre orders. No expectation to pay way before you even see cads, let alone an EP or the real thing.  So for those reasons, I'm out. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

From what I can gather, Ellis Clark aren't yet doing one in wartime service (?) I presume the khaki one here is...? Kinda wish model companies would include dates next to their liveries for the less educated 😅

They are, PM sent.
I deleted my original message as I felt bad promoting an ECT one in this thread.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Noted a while ago, but as the thread was closed could not comment.

Typical KR attention to detail that we have now become used to.

Given the alternative, why should anyone even bother to look any further at this?

Bernard

Price?

That £50 difference is a lot of money to many people. Then you'll probably get retailer discounts from places like Rails which will knock the price down even lower. 

Also don't forget that Rails don't take deposits on the KR Models items. It's just a normal pre order.

I'm afraid I've long given up on the idea that things shouldn't be duplicated. It's now inevitable the more manufacturers there are and the decreasing amounts of items that are virtually open goals to those manufacturers.

Jason

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

.... Given the alternative, why should anyone even bother to look any further at this?

Bernard

Because it's always a good idea to keep an open mind. It does seem a bit silly to jump to a decision before both models are out there and a fair comparison can be made.

• Like 5
  • Agree 11

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Because it's always a good idea to keep an open mind. It does seem a bit silly to jump to a decision before both models are out there and a fair comparison can be made.

Ah - but what about FOMO?!

CJI.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Neil said:

Hopefully such comparisions can happen without anyone needing to get involved in cat herding. 😉

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

... I'm afraid I've long given up on the idea that things shouldn't be duplicated. ...

The pity is that duplication is often of things that most people don't want - or do they ? - rather than items that have been cried out for for years ............................... I could probably justify a WD 2-10-0 on a running-in turn from Brighton without resorting to too much 'Rule 1' but I'd much rather have a K or C2X.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

The pity is that duplication is often of things that most people don't want - or do they ? - rather than items that have been cried out for for years ............................... I could probably justify a WD 2-10-0 on a running-in turn from Brighton without resorting to too much 'Rule 1' but I'd much rather have a K or C2X.

Duplications in the recent past are BR 4MT 4-6-0s, which ran down south so easy to justify in our case (unless you do nothing beyond SR days of course) and Terriers which being small, relatively inexpensive with a wide range of liveries and eras, will have many people buying a few of them (I have 6 of the new Hornby and Rails/Dapol types from the latest tooling but still need Fenchurch in A1 preserved guise). The same can argued for class 37s and 47s.

The 2-10-0s are justifiable in a down south in a preserved loco visit sense (especially for my projected Sheffield park DCC layout). I prefer this over the S160 as something to pull a warwell train (a but of rule for preserved but far too many military vehicles). That said I only want one. I have two Bachmann 2-8-0s, both of non preserved members and both dating before DCC and did not fancy adding a 3rd.

I think these may have bigger demand than the S160 and the LNER U1 being a class that is  preserved, ran in BR days and the end of grouping.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Duplication is all but inevitable for locomotives, what are manufacturers going to produce that hasn't already been done (and now, not only been done but been done well)? 

OK, for pre-grouping there's loads of space, but that still seems a small niche. For grouping, once you move away from the flagship express locomotives there's plenty of space but despite people thinking everyone in the world wants multiple examples of their own pet favourite but I'm not convinced the demand is that great in reality. BR steam and DE transition, on the diesel side we now have one off prototypes but the BR standard kettles are well represented. For the D&E era we are extremely well served and the really significant types like class 37 and 47 have multiple excellent options.

The real gap for post steam is EMUs, particularly modern EMUs and it'll be interesting to see if we see more announcements like the Dapol one, we really need an Electrostar for modern image.

I see nothing wrong with duplication. As consumers we have a choice, and hopefully the competition drives suppliers to make a good product (why buy something mediocre if you can buy something excellent?), or alternatively offer something more affordable. The usual argument we get is suppliers lose money, it's bad for the hobby etc. If a manufacturer makes the necessary return on investment then whether or not a rival has a competing model of the same prototype isn't such a big deal. For the really big types (such as class 47) there's enough demand for competing prototypes. And ultimately, why does it matter to us as consumers if a supplier makes a bad choice and gets burnt fingers? They'll learn and move on and in business you win and lose, the idea that markets should be controlled to remove risk to suppliers which is what arguments against duplication often amount to is not one I'd support (aside from legal issues).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

On this particular announcement, it's not a type I'm interested in so I'll just be following both projects as an observer. We have the usual KR communications ineptitude but that doesn't necessarily mean the model will be bad and hopefully they'll be learning with each project.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Duplication is all but inevitable for locomotives, what are manufacturers going to produce that hasn't already been done (and now, not only been done but been done well)? 

OK, for pre-grouping there's loads of space, but that still seems a small niche. For grouping, once you move away from the flagship express locomotives there's plenty of space but despite people thinking everyone in the world wants multiple examples of their own pet favourite but I'm not convinced the demand is that great in reality. BR steam and DE transition, on the diesel side we now have one off prototypes but the BR standard kettles are well represented. For the D&E era we are extremely well served and the really significant types like class 37 and 47 have multiple excellent options.

The real gap for post steam is EMUs, particularly modern EMUs and it'll be interesting to see if we see more announcements like the Dapol one, we really need an Electrostar for modern image.

I see nothing wrong with duplication. As consumers we have a choice, and hopefully the competition drives suppliers to make a good product (why buy something mediocre if you can buy something excellent?), or alternatively offer something more affordable. The usual argument we get is suppliers lose money, it's bad for the hobby etc. If a manufacturer makes the necessary return on investment then whether or not a rival has a competing model of the same prototype isn't such a big deal. For the really big types (such as class 47) there's enough demand for competing prototypes. And ultimately, why does it matter to us as consumers if a supplier makes a bad choice and gets burnt fingers? They'll learn and move on and in business you win and lose, the idea that markets should be controlled to remove risk to suppliers which is what arguments against duplication often amount to is not one I'd support (aside from legal issues).

I beg to differ about the BR Standards being well represented.

Poor model of the 8P. 

5MT 4-6-0 is getting long in the tooth.

No Caprotti 5MT - before comments about them being niche there were 30 of them with one preserved

No 3MT 2-6-0

No 2MT 2-6-2T

Crosti 9F is another poor model

No rebuilt Crosti

That's quite a lot of engines. 233 if my maths are correct.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 5