Bachmann Class 30/31

AY Mod

8 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

I’m slightly doing a slightly earlier period so need the D!! I did think about buying 5544 and completely renumbering it but went for the very transitional D5803 (green, fye, double arrows) instead. 

Agreed re the delivery schedules!! 

I've got a pic of D5803 somewhere in Western region territory 

Yes , they did look very smart in green FYE and double arrows too ! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Albie the plumber said:

I've got a pic of D5803 somewhere in Western region territory 

Yes , they did look very smart in green FYE and double arrows too ! 

Just check as most of the piccies I have seen of 5803 have the D scrubbed out when on the WR, but that hasn’t stopped me ordering it 🤣

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very much welcome the development of this class of loco, although the first 'skinheads' appear to be missing at the moment.  The auto uncoupling is the the outstanding item in this model, hopefully it will be spread across future releases, when the appropriate pcbs and dcc s/w are brought into use. Auto uncoupling in Blue Pullmans and EMU/DMUs would be most welcoming, not to mention coach rakes, for instance Pullmans. I note that SYE are missing, is this on account of AS releases, I wonder?

Where the auto uncoupler is concerned, the loco may well uncouple, but what of the attached coach/wagon, that will need the 'hand of god'. Accidental uncoupling can happen when there is only one coupling actively engaged.

42 minutes ago, Francis deWeck said:

Very much welcome the development of this class of loco, although the first 'skinheads' appear to be missing at the moment.  The auto uncoupling is the the outstanding item in this model, hopefully it will be spread across future releases, when the appropriate pcbs and dcc s/w are brought into use. Auto uncoupling in Blue Pullmans and EMU/DMUs would be most welcoming, not to mention coach rakes, for instance Pullmans. I note that SYE are missing, is this on account of AS releases, I wonder?

Where the auto uncoupler is concerned, the loco may well uncouple, but what of the attached coach/wagon, that will need the 'hand of god'. Accidental uncoupling can happen when there is only one coupling actively engaged.

The class 30/31 launch video shows that the auto uncoupler also lifts the hook of the coupling of the adjacent vehicle. How effective this will be across the various different styles of tension lock coupling remains to be seen.

Auto uncouplers have also been announced as a feature on the forthcoming class 69 locos, so it does seem to be a feature that's going to be more widely applied in the future.

• Informative/Useful 1

24 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

The class 30/31 launch video shows that the auto uncoupler also lifts the hook of the coupling of the adjacent vehicle. How effective this will be across the various different styles of tension lock coupling remains to be seen.

Auto uncouplers have also been announced as a feature on the forthcoming class 69 locos, so it does seem to be a feature that's going to be more widely applied in the future.

I cant see it being very effective on droopy Dapol couplings

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The auto coupling is also removable, so not beyond the wit of man to transplant it onto other locomotives?

Mike.

Or a wagon for that proper shunting experience, though I think Kadees or Dapol easishunts are probably a cheaper solution for most people.  But I expect for most people, simply being able to uncouple from the train will be enough.

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The auto coupling is also removable, so not beyond the wit of man to transplant it onto other locomotives?

Mike.

Does the locomotive not have to be wired to accommodate the autocoupler? It has been stated that there are sockets so that the control wires can be detached if it isn’t wanted.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Does the locomotive not have to be wired to accommodate the autocoupler? It has been stated that there are sockets so that the control wires can be detached if it isn’t wanted.

It would only need to be powered to operate, so setting up and calling a function would be all that is required once the auto coupler is wired to a function on the chip.  If you did it on a wagon for example I would guess a simple function decoder would be enough.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

For those who use Facebook there is an interesting discussion on some the background to the genesis of this model vs the AS offering in the comments of the TMC post this morning announcing the Bachmann 30/31.

Be warned there are a few facts - some of it is more than armchair speculation 😎

• Like 1

6 hours ago, younGGuns7 said:

Just check as most of the piccies I have seen of 5803 have the D scrubbed out when on the WR, but that hasn’t stopped me ordering it 🤣

There are pics of it on the ER in green/fye/arrows logo livery with the D in place - locos in this condition started to appear from 66/67 and were ubiquitous on the ER and beyond. It didn’t move to the WR until the 70s. 

There seems to be no mention of Stay-Alive on any of the levels of DCC (including the full-fat SFX).
Will probably have to wait until locos are in the hands of modellers, to find out the best type to fit - if there is room.

Pre-ordered 31407, I do hope those handrails at the front arnt plastic, but no matter will probably replace them anyway. So the question is will 31514 from A/S arrive or 31407 from Bachmann?! 

After many years of hacking the Hornby & Lima ones about, remotoring etc, I do hope that Bachmann and A/S do the venerable "Ped" justice in model form as must say do Like the EPs seen so far

I need dont need more locos

2024 is going to bankrupt me...

NL

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, NickL2008 said:

Pre-ordered 31407, I do hope those handrails at the front arnt plastic, but no matter will probably replace them anyway. So the question is will 31514 from A/S arrive or 31407 from Bachmann?! 

After many years of hacking the Hornby & Lima ones about, remotoring etc, I do hope that Bachmann and A/S do the venerable "Ped" justice in model form as must say do Like the EPs seen so far

I need dont need more locos

2024 is going to bankrupt me...

NL

The Lima and later Hornby railroad models weren't bad for the money .

Did have a Railroad chassis married to a Lima golden ochre bodyshell and as you probably know the addition of laserglaze, fan etchings etc make it pretty presentable. 

The icing on the cake was Biffs V4 sound and an EM2 in the cavernous space inside .

Certainly sounded like a ped .

Behaved like one too ! 😁

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

15 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

I am hoping that Bachmann release said saloon in this livery to go with my Accurascale 31407. I have already bought the EWS saloon to go with 31466.

The problem with that thought (which I had considered) is the saloon which was painted Mainline blue then EWS red was a BR built vehicle and not the LMS designed vehicle which Bachmann have produced. Of course Bachmann could adopt the "nearly" which some other manufacturers seem to offer these days, and release their LMS design saloon in Mainline blue, but how much criticism would they get as opposed to sales ?  Thinks back to Lima class 33s painted in CIE livery as just one example 🙂

Edited by Covkid
  • Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, Covkid said:

The problem with that thought (which I had considered) is the saloon which was painted Mainline blue then EWS red was a BR built vehicle and not the LMS designed vehicle which Bachmann have produced. Of course Bachmann could adopt the "nearly" which some other manufacturers seem to offer these days, and release their LMS design saloon in Mainline blue, but how much criticism would they get as opposed to sales ?  Thinks back to Lima class 33s painted in CIE livery as just one example 🙂

I think Britannia pacific do the correct saloon ? Woukd be a fair few quid I guess, but look nice in mainline 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/02/2024 at 16:37, 47423 said:

Here's the Red Stripe paint details for 31's.

Part of Rail Express Retrospectum features. 

20240207_163326.jpg

Which edition was that in? - sadly I have them all....Thanks

• RMweb Premium

I think it's interesting to compare this announcement to the new class 37. Obviously this model was already well advanced in development when Accurascale announced theirs and so couldn't be cancelled. Bachmann have been sensible in choosing (mostly) liveries not done by Accurascale, so there should be space in the market for them. What I find most interesting is their pricing strategy. I think that Bachmann have had their fingers burnt with the class 37 with many variants not selling well and ending up heavily discounted. I've always attributed this to the fact it was significantly more than the Accurascale model, with virtually nothing to differentiate them detail and spec wise. With the class 30/31 they have priced it in such a way so that, after the usual retailer reduction, they are basically the same price as Accurascale. And £40 extra for the auto uncoupling is a very keen price. There are no variants in this run by Bachmann that I want, but if they had done a Wessex trains pink, a Railtrack blue/green, Reggie Rail, Intercity or a Fragonset model I would've jumped in for a sound deluxe model. I do think that the Mainline model may be a misstep and end up cheap after a while. Accurascale are doing the exact same loco, and it is a limited edition by them. Tellingly it hasn't sold out at Accurascale, unlike the EWS limited edition that was announced at the same time. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

I think it's interesting to compare this announcement to the new class 37. Obviously this model was already well advanced in development when Accurascale announced theirs and so couldn't be cancelled. Bachmann have been sensible in choosing (mostly) liveries not done by Accurascale, so there should be space in the market for them. What I find most interesting is their pricing strategy. I think that Bachmann have had their fingers burnt with the class 37 with many variants not selling well and ending up heavily discounted. I've always attributed this to the fact it was significantly more than the Accurascale model, with virtually nothing to differentiate them detail and spec wise. With the class 30/31 they have priced it in such a way so that, after the usual retailer reduction, they are basically the same price as Accurascale. And £40 extra for the auto uncoupling is a very keen price. There are no variants in this run by Bachmann that I want, but if they had done a Wessex trains pink, a Railtrack blue/green, Reggie Rail, Intercity or a Fragonset model I would've jumped in for a sound deluxe model. I do think that the Mainline model may be a misstep and end up cheap after a while. Accurascale are doing the exact same loco, and it is a limited edition by them. Tellingly it hasn't sold out at Accurascale, unlike the EWS limited edition that was announced at the same time. 

Id say thats probably why theyve gone for 31407, it was the only 31 painted in mainline livery. The problem is the real one, only lasted until 1998 from when it was repainted in 1994(?) so that does kind of limit the modelling period to just 4 years. 466 however, lasted longer until 2001 so that gives a slightly wider time frame for it. Im glad both companies are doing it, if they both sell out great .. if not then thats fine, everyone changes what they want so maybe they will sell decently perhaps, time will tell. For me if they did a Dutch one, id be happy with that, but as I have a Dutch one on preorder with A/S there wouldnt of been any need (for me anyway) to preorder one

NL

Edited by NickL2008

2 hours ago, Albie the plumber said:

The Lima and later Hornby railroad models weren't bad for the money .

Did have a Railroad chassis married to a Lima golden ochre bodyshell and as you probably know the addition of laserglaze, fan etchings etc make it pretty presentable. 

The icing on the cake was Biffs V4 sound and an EM2 in the cavernous space inside .

Certainly sounded like a ped .

Behaved like one too ! 😁

My Lima one outlasted my Hornby ones, excited to see that we'll soon be spoiled for choice.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mike Buckner said:

There seems to be no mention of Stay-Alive on any of the levels of DCC (including the full-fat SFX).
Will probably have to wait until locos are in the hands of modellers, to find out the best type to fit - if there is room.

A heavy diesel with 12 wheel pick up doesnt need Stay Alive in my experience

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

5 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I think Britannia pacific do the correct saloon ? Woukd be a fair few quid I guess, but look nice in mainline 

£169.00, then would need tepainting. They aren't offering any kits at the moment according to their website.