Bachmann Europe - Spring 2024 Announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Nothing this time round for me, but the green 20s reminded me about the recent blue and Railfreight Class 20s so will be on the lookout at the Donny show. I do like a whistling wardrobe almost as much as a whistling bucket!

58 minutes ago, Patriot87003 said:

Good to see the MK1’s announced in OO and with a few tooling upgrades and tweaks as well. Including bogies, electrical pickups and did I see an upgraded roof with no roof ribs?

Especially good to see the bog standard TSO released in blue-grey and Intercity liveries … very tempting to recreate a 1980s WCML rake from them.

The Bachmann Mk1 roofs have all been ribless since around ~2015.

Is the coupling pocket height changed on this upgraded run of Mk1s? From the pictures provided, the couplings appear to remain "stepped" and at the incorrect NEM height.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There's nothing for me here:- But! It's not Bachmanns' fault. I'm just a niche modeller, that's all. 

Some weeks back, we discussed the death of railway modelling. For me, a lot of views expressed here are true to a certain degree. Being a pragmatic business, Bachmann probably feel they are hitting the bottom of the well for new product. Other manufacturers are getting into niche with (it appears) better ability than Bachmann.   In order to continue in a consumerist market, they  are diversifying into other areas, such as captain Scarlet* and other items.  Railways, model or otherwise, might not necessarily figure as much in Kaders bottom line. I can foresee Bachmann jumping out of Branchline in the future. As I've said, it's not Bachmanns' fault; just business pragmatism & reality. I'd suggest we will see more of EFE, and less of those delightful GWR-style brake vans.

Regardless of anything, the service people at Bachmann are spot-on. I haven't used them that much, but every time it's been 100%

* Captain Scarlet & the Misty-eyed Rons. Captain Black in weathered condition. He was Captain Grey, but he did an oil change on the SPV... 

• Like 2

I remember the Class 31s on the Cardiff trains at 'Froddington Central' in the 1970s, odd looking things when compared to the home team's Class 33s.

The Bachmann model looks to be a cracking representation of the Class, I do like the green ones with the two 'go faster' stripes.

Glenn

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

There's nothing for me here:- But! It's not Bachmanns' fault. I'm just a niche modeller, that's all. 

Some weeks back, we discussed the death of railway modelling. For me, a lot of views expressed here are true to a certain degree. Being a pragmatic business, Bachmann probably feel they are hitting the bottom of the well for new product. Other manufacturers are getting into niche with (it appears) better ability than Bachmann.   In order to continue in a consumerist market, they  are diversifying into other areas, such as captain Scarlet* and other items.  Railways, model or otherwise, might not necessarily figure as much in Kaders bottom line. I can foresee Bachmann jumping out of Branchline in the future. As I've said, it's not Bachmanns' fault; just business pragmatism & reality. I'd suggest we will see more of EFE, and less of those delightful GWR-style brake vans.

Regardless of anything, the service people at Bachmann are spot-on. I haven't used them that much, but every time it's been 100%

* Captain Scarlet & the Misty-eyed Rons. Captain Black in weathered condition. He was Captain Grey, but he did an oil change on the SPV... 

Haven't Kader always made stuff like that though?

A bit like Palitoy, who made Mainline, also made Action Man and Star Wars toys.

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, JN said:

I am surprised no-one is discussing the auto-decoupler.

Auto-couplers, great idea but not amazingly implemented IMO. They look quite ugly, and are way more noticeable that standard small pattern tension locks.

And hopefully the voice sound can be turned off because that would get annoying very fast. But I get others will really like them, and I can see them being generally popular.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

Precisely Jason; precisely. By its very nature Kader will look for returns on investment; any investment. 

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Well I wasn't expecting those selections.

More Mk1s in traditional liveries at last!

The 44s I can understand, but not the 45s and 46s. The regional editions with flush fronts have been sitting around for ages so will more, even if numbered as 46s, sell? Is the market ready for more green ones seeing as the we've just had the Heljan versions?

I'm surprised there are no new 47s to beat Heljan to market - there are still plenty of "missing" catalogue numbers amongst those produced so far, so when can we expect to see them?

And finally no steam...

The "economy green" peak looks rather nice

I am guessing the sound is as per the modified Sulzers with the amended phasing gear.  D4 currentrly fitted wit hthe Wonder if the

• RMweb Gold

Have searched but can't find any prototype info in the ICI narrow gauge Drewry, i.e. where it worked, what it hauled etc.  Does anyone have any links?

16 minutes ago, JN said:

I am surprised no-one is discussing the auto-decoupler.

Possibly because it's only available on a high end product and doesn't have a massive appeal?

• Agree 1

Am I the only one who thinks Bachmann has forgotten about the class 47’s? Desperate for a West Coast example. Even other examples not done on the new tooling would surely be a certain hit!

MK2F’s as well? Certainly the blue grey ones need another run… (not my era, but an unbiased opinion). Anglia ones would go down well too with a DBSO and nothing to go behind it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

45 minutes ago, davidw said:

Lack of steam and as I said elsewhere. Class 31 why? The market can't be large enough 

I think it’s open for debate over who started work on the class 30/31 first….  I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Bachmann….

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

I think it’s open for debate over who started work on the class 30/31 first….  I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Bachmann….

Pity....

24 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Kader made Mainline for Palitoy, in terms of main content of the range hence the use of the toolings for the origianl Bachamnn Branchline range

11 minutes ago, WCML100 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Bachmann has forgotten about the class 47’s? Desperate for a West Coast example. Even other examples not done on the new tooling would surely be a certain hit!

MK2F’s as well? Certainly the blue grey ones need another run… (not my era, but an unbiased opinion). Anglia ones would go down well too with a DBSO and nothing to go behind it. 

Well there are another 3 announcements throughout the year. And type 4s just got covered by a wide range of peaks. Not to mention leaving space for this round's flagship, the 30/31.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Well there are another 3 announcements throughout the year. And type 4s just got covered by a wide range of peaks. Not to mention leaving space for this round's flagship, the 30/31.

Does feel like Bachmann have become Hornby when it comes to defending diesel territory.

The only diesel not shared between Bachmann and Accurascale is the 50, and I do wonder if Hornby may have something to say about that eventually.

Got to admire Bachmanns timing on the 31… it was the same on the 37, and I wonder if thats why the Heljan 47 went slow.

But why oh why the sealed beam 46 after waiting 30 years has finally arrived weathered ?.. I hope theres more coming from where thats coming from.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WCML100 said:

WCRC 47s and their 57s, also GBRF 47s and their ex DRS 57/3’s…

(ignoring the Hornby Railroad GBRF one)

Perhaps Heljan will fill some gaps with future runs of their 47s

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
Text
  • Like 1