Bachmann Europe - Spring 2024 Announcements

AY Mod

2 minutes ago, MonsalDale said:

Pity there's no 00 steam again.  Always loved the Bachmann steam range.

They have a lot of good models already tooled that I would love to see a rerelease of.

I don't remember any rereleases of the 4Fs, Stanier Moguls or 1Ps

The 4Fs had a second run with the MR and BR (weathered) liveries. Moguls had only one run, but moved slowly. 1Ps had one run .. and sold quickly? I do not quite remember. I do recall the plain LMS black 1P hanging around, as is traditional for that paint scheme.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Don't forget this announcement is only the Feb 2024 new additions to the range. There are still a number of previously announced models still awaited as covered in this thread

notably including LMS 5XP 'Patriot' 5551 'The Unknown Warrior' LMS Lined Crimon and A1 60163 'Tornado' BR Lined Green (Late Crest)

Well you can't expect to pacify steam era modellers with "Modern Image" steam that in the case of 5551 isn't even finished yet. About as relevant to us as a Class 88!

Jason

• Moderators
Just now, Fair Oak Junction said:

The MR and SDJR (Collectors Club) 1Ps go for absolutely stupid money on eBay these days, Bachmann could easily capitalise on another run in those liveries.

Along with many other things people think "Bachmann should have..." none of us know whether it's in the pipeline at some point.

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

What's positive?  

The base price of a OO loco remains (just) under £200.  There are some welcome repeats for those who have entered the hobby since the last tranche of Mk1 coaches were released in "standard" liveries.  Development of the low-relief buildings to include stone cottages will surely please a few of us. The much-anticipated BD 4wDM shunters in OO9 are finally coming although apparently not the green one which I have on order; their operation through points and haulage capability will be interesting to see.   Is it also a positive to say that there is not yet another batch of 37s?  

Neutrals: Mk1s with pre-fitted passengers will save a lot of fiddly de-construction and reassembly but comes at a price; assuming a normal level of retailer discount those will sell for a whisker under £60 apiece.  Only time will tell how the marketplace will respond exactly was was the case with internally-lit coaching stock.  The base price for a Mk1 is around £10 less so we are getting a dozen pre-fitted passengers - each of which as a single item could cost £2 or more plus the additional time and labour to fit them - for only a £10 premium.  

Negatives: A sense of continued consolidation and hedging against reliably performing and stronger-selling types although the LMS twins in N buck that.  And of course the inevitability of having to delve deeper into the pockets to invest in the new items.  

Verdict : The curate's egg.  Definitely good in parts.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cages_cage said:

The 4Fs had a second run with the MR and BR (weathered) liveries. Moguls had only one run, but moved slowly. 1Ps had one run .. and sold quickly? I do not quite remember. I do recall the plain LMS black 1P hanging around, as is traditional for that paint scheme.

Ah, I didn't realise the MR liveried 4F was a rerun.  I should've known as I bought two haha!  I'd be after another BR one if it were to reappear.

Oh well, there's some decent stuff in the announcements and the quality seems to be as good as ever.  Just a pity it's outside my area of interest.

Edited by MonsalDale
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Along with many other things people think "Bachmann should have..." none of us know whether it's in the pipeline at some point.

Well of course, but I'd still be amazed if it happens. Re-runs are not common in general. I keep my fingers crossed as I missed getting one in the first place, but I'm not holding my breath 😉

• RMweb Gold

Good to see the MK1’s announced in OO and with a few tooling upgrades and tweaks as well. Including bogies, electrical pickups and did I see an upgraded roof with no roof ribs?

Especially good to see the bog standard TSO released in blue-grey and Intercity liveries … very tempting to recreate a 1980s WCML rake from them.

There is also a limit to how much the factory can produce - have heard it often said the USA market dominates the output and what factory time Bachmann Europe products get is limited.

Noticable there were no EFE Rail additions.

2 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

The much-anticipated BD 4wDM shunters in OO9 are finally coming although apparently not the green one which I have on order; their operation through points and haulage capability will be interesting to see.

As I posted earlier the video is just the Feb 2024 additions

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/category/model-railway/narrow-gauge/locomotives?page=2 quite clearly shows the green one amonst others due May/June

• Like 1

Anyone going to address the elephant shouting 'here here here' in the room? 

If these are coming in a future quarter, on my mama! 

Screenshot2024-02-07at10_22_06.png.f6ba532b991cd3730dfd554ff28c12cd.png

Also cannot find any information about the class 69, stating it is now available to order. Naturally shall be going for SFX! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

As I posted earlier the video is just the Feb 2024 additions

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/category/model-railway/narrow-gauge/locomotives?page=2 quite clearly shows the green one amonst others due May/June

Only a year later than originally planned then.  By industry standards that's not so bad however frustrating it is at this end.  I wonder why, though, they have gone for multiple previously unannounced liveries first rather than those their retailers have got orders for?  Keeping the customer waiting is never good business practice.  Other commercial consideration aside I might have run the announced ones first and come back later with the rest.  

Just now, Gwiwer said:

Only a year later than originally planned then.  By industry standards that's not so bad however frustrating it is at this end.  I wonder why, though, they have gone for multiple previously unannounced liveries first rather than those their retailers have got orders for?  Keeping the customer waiting is never good business practice.  Other commercial consideration aside I might have run the announced ones first and come back later with the rest.  

Its quite normal of Bachmann to annouce additional liveries for a new tooling when its entry into production is imminent  - save factory time to produce the whole lot as the tooling is set up. The originals will no doubt turn up around the same time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Anyone know what the prototype for the S&D building is, I don't recognise it at all?

Passengers in the mk1's is a nice touch.

My bank's money is safe.

• RMweb Gold

31 is priced competitively.

I may need to rejig my wcrc mk1 orders now with the choice of a few more numbers.

Re steam, I dunno theres always a lot of it on the table at the nearly perfect sale, before and after the event. I’m not convinced demand for steam is what it was… making more mundane prototypes a bit risky, and retools seem to be a bane in any era.

1 hour ago, Seaniom said:

Very underwhelming

I am starting to believe steam will play no part in Bachmann's future.

Very underwhelming

I am starting to believe steam will play no part in Bachmann's future.

(I thought I would say it twice as they like duplication.)

D&E modellers: Hornby are hopeless, nothing for me, they've ruled themselves out of the game
Steam modellers: Bachmann are hopeless, nothing for me, they've rules themselves out of the game

• Agree 3
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Neutrals: Mk1s with pre-fitted passengers will save a lot of fiddly de-construction and reassembly but comes at a price; assuming a normal level of retailer discount those will sell for a whisker under £60 apiece.  Only time will tell how the marketplace will respond exactly was was the case with internally-lit coaching stock.  The base price for a Mk1 is around £10 less so we are getting a dozen pre-fitted passengers - each of which as a single item could cost £2 or more plus the additional time and labour to fit them - for only a £10 premium.  

The idea itself is not new. They did this with a pair of Blue/Grey NSE mark 1s about 5 years back. They were about £100 the pair and ended up being £60 a pair a couple of years later (when I brought them).

Edit: (and a Scottish pair too).

Edited by JSpencer
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Re the passengers fitted, I wonder if on the WCRC stock they will be densely packed, scruffy middle / late age males with cameras, and if the stock comes with the smell of ale ?

Extra fiver for the open drop light, with camera man hanging out with three stewards reading the riot act ? (Post 2016 only).

Then a bonus £1 for someone in an ORR  jacket writing down notes and calling it in. (post 2020).

So weve got the stock, passengers and 45596’s support coach, theres only 1 thing were missing…

no not 45596…

but a rake of cdl mk2Ds with a 57 as the steam loco failed to make it.

😀

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

The MR and SDJR (Collectors Club) 1Ps go for absolutely stupid money on eBay these days, Bachmann could easily capitalise on another run in those liveries.

They go for a premium because they are hard to get hold of. Doesnt follow that making a big enough batch to be worthwhile for Bachmann would bring a decent return for the manufacturer rather than second hand market. 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

31 is priced competitively.

I may need to rejig my wcrc mk1 orders now with the choice of a few more numbers.

Re steam, I dunno theres always a lot of it on the table at the nearly perfect sale, before and after the event. I’m not convinced demand for steam is what it was… making more mundane prototypes a bit risky, and retools seem to be a bane in any era.

As opposed to all those diesels and electrics I see in bargain bins? May as well not make anymore as nobody wants them.

Just look at Kernow as an example. Half of these are Bachmann!

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/1788/Diesel-and-Electric-Locos

I'm afraid you are seeing what you want to see and it's easy to twist these things with selective posting like I just have....

Jason

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

They go for a premium because they are hard to get hold of. Doesnt follow that making a big enough batch to be worthwhile for Bachmann would bring a decent return for the manufacturer rather than second hand market. 

Of course there is always a risk, but certainly the Hornby re-runs of certain hard to find steam locos that were going for stupid prices on eBay also sold very well.

• Agree 1