Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

"I'm King of the World"  :jester:

No sign of the Blue ones down here... yet!!

EDIT - Damm, just became a Queen instead....

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone tell of a retailer who sells a full set of "Western" shawplan nameplates.I want D1003 red background.

So far have only been able to find certian plates.

Shawplan will be at Nottingham and Ally Pally waiting to relieve you of yor money if you are going to either. :yes:

Mike.

• Like 2

Guest jim s-w

How many have gone up in smoke for you Richard and are they all the steam ones?

Since the problem seems unique to you perhaps you can start a topic on your set up to see if anyone has ideas.  Is it only the Westerns that have given you trouble?

Cheers

Jim 

Jim.

2 so far but a repared one from dcc supplies back and trailed again today give up the ghost around 10mins and has stopped working all together this time so call it 3..

Yes these are the only locos giving me trouble,i have over 40 others including Hornby/Bachmann/Heljan and 2 Dapol 22s that give me no trouble at all.

I run basic DC with gaugemaster combie controllers no feedback and no Dapol track cleaner as others keep asking.

The repared one was said by dcc surplies to be a faulty component on the blanking plate.

All was running well until she went over some points and the lights flickerd and went out then with no control of my own she burst into speed and the lights came back on again,but then went out with a burning and smoke coming from her but this time she wont run at all.

Thats it but is so damm frustrating as is putting me off getting anymore.

hope this helps.

richard.

Guest jim s-w

Hi Richard

You didnt notice a spark from the wheels over the points did you,  Perhaps a tiny short blew something?  Did the others go doing the same thing?  

Do you have a rolling road or any way to set up a plain circle of track to see if its OK with that?  (when you get it back again)

One option if you dont mind losing the lights would be to scrap the circuit board and hard wire it but (before anyone jumps in and says) you shouldnt have too.  However its an option.  Perhaps Dapol Dave would sort this for you if you really wanted too (if not id be willing to have a look if you werent confident of doing it yourself - hey I could take that Western at New Street pic you keep asking about too! 

Cheers

Jim

(you cant PM me so drop me an email, jim@p4newstreet.com if you do want to try it)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Jim.

2 so far but a repared one from dcc supplies back and trailed again today give up the ghost around 10mins and has stopped working all together this time so call it 3..

Yes these are the only locos giving me trouble,i have over 40 others including Hornby/Bachmann/Heljan and 2 Dapol 22s that give me no trouble at all.

I run basic DC with gaugemaster combie controllers no feedback and no Dapol track cleaner as others keep asking.

The repared one was said by dcc surplies to be a faulty component on the blanking plate.

All was running well until she went over some points and the lights flickerd and went out then with no control of my own she burst into speed and the lights came back on again,but then went out with a burning and smoke coming from her but this time she wont run at all.

Thats it but is so damm frustrating as is putting me off getting anymore.

hope this helps.

richard.

Take the wheelsets off and look at the contacts. The symptoms are those of a short .I had this last year.It took Alex (Lochnagar) an hour to sort it----but that's where your problem is.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

My blue one arrived this morning having been posted yesterday evening - it's a beaut! just what a Scottish based modeller of the Callander & Oban in 1962 needs really............should get bespoke plates made up for 'Western Extravagance' or 'Western Indulgence' I suppose............

Well done Dave & team, and the replacement wheels for EM are already ordered too so well done Gear Services too!

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jim.

No did not see a spark and thks for interest but this one again is going back via the model shop in the morning.

Something somewhere is wrong and cant be my layout set up,my Dapol 22s run a dream with no problems.

Looks like my Heljan ones are to stay.

regards.

richard.

How frustrsting Richard - am sure you will get to the bottom of the problem

However what you may not realise is that you probably have Dapol's secret trial class 21 mech in there - test bed but just too prototypical!!!

Phil

Phil.

I have decided with much regret to stand by my Heljan ones due to these issues and with mounting finacial problems as also cant see a quick fix and folk not on here i must add telling me it must be my layout.

over 40 locos run fine so how can this be.Even cancelled my ltd addition weathered one from kernow today. :nono:

It just dont make sence.

richard.

Phil.

I have decided with much regret to stand by my Heljan ones due to these issues and with mounting finacial problems as also cant see a quick fix and folk not on here i must add telling me it must be my layout.

over 40 locos run fine so how can this be.Even cancelled my ltd addition weathered one from kernow today. :nono:

It just dont make sence.

richard.

Richard,

I might have missed this, but is it just this Dapol Western? To be more specific, have you another one to try and/or, have you had your original faulty one replaced or repaired?

I'm just thinking that if it's a fault with this one loco, another Dapol one may run fine?.....

Just a thought.

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Gold

Having been well pleased with my weathered green sound-fitted Western Sovereign and seeing that the blue Western Venturer has arrived made another call to Lord & Butler today and confirmed that they had the blue ones in stock. A weathered sound-fitted Western Venturer will be arriving within a couple of weeks.

Despite numerous phone calls and e:mails still waiting for D1000 to arrive....am told it should be with me next week. Fingers crossed.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

My blue one arrived this morning having been posted yesterday evening - it's a beaut! just what a Scottish based modeller of the Callander & Oban in 1962 needs really............should get bespoke plates made up for 'Western Extravagance' or 'Western Indulgence' I suppose............

How about Western Scot or Western Highlander? I was going to suggest Western Scottish, but that's for a different form of transport.

Cheers,

Mick