EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

Strange, "I AM LOOKING FOR ABOUT £325 ON A BUY IT NOW" but no BIN button. Unfortunately, my eyes rebel against a block of text like that. :-/

Mind you 100% positive feedback on a couple of thousand sales.

I've bought a couple of things from him with a satisfactory outcome, so I can only speak as I found.

• RMweb Gold

Strange, "I AM LOOKING FOR ABOUT £325 ON A BUY IT NOW" but no BIN button. Unfortunately, my eyes rebel against a block of text like that. :-/

Mind you 100% positive feedback on a couple of thousand sales.

He probably did have a BIN of £325 as well as a start price for an auction.  However, once someone bids, the BIN option is removed automatically.

The one that was sold before is a different (though similar) engine. This one actually has photos, and can be seen posed

on what seems to be proper broad gauge track. Photos are not brilliant, but it looks like a nice model.

The two engines don't seem to have been that successful in reality. I suspect the models also would

not have great traction due to lack of weight over the driving wheels, but that's just how the

prototypes were designed.

Thunderer was the first of a pair of locomotives (the other being Hurricane) built for the Great Western Railway (GWR), England, by R. & W. Hawthorn & Co. whose design was very different from other steam locomotives. In order to meet Isambard Kingdom Brunel's strict specifications, an 0-4-0 frame carried the 'engine', while the boiler was on a separate six-wheeled frame. The driving wheels were geared 10:27 in order to reduce the cylinder stroke speed while allowing high track speed, in line with the specifications.

The locomotive was delivered to the GWR on 6 March 1838 and ceased work in December 1839[1] after running only 9,882 miles, but its boiler section was kept as a stationary boiler

[

They are different engines according to the drawings. 

victorian gwr broad gauge 2.2.2-2.2.2 hurricane locomotive of 1838 fully painted in correct early gwr colours,its made of brass sheet,brass boiler tube used,wooden cladding on boiler,working inside valve gear/piston etc,nickel chassis,,lost wax brass chinmey,safety valve, white metal fitting early leather buffers,w/metal springs, all alan gibson p4 wheels 4'0 foot trailing wheels and 8'0 foot drivers which are all brass bushes bearings,real coal fitted in tender,brass chain link couplings,a superb model of which i have never seen another of these models made before it does have a small motor/gears fitted and does run but its not been tested on track or layout due to 28mm gauge for it to run on,this locomotive comes with a correct handmade piece of  28mm test/display track,pictures to follow in a few days i have a photo of the what it looked like in real life which i have added to listing there were 2 of these monster loxcomotives made in 1938 named hurricane and its sister thunderer of which i have models made of both of them !

So, there were two models....

Would you buy a model on the basis of only a line illustration, with no photos at all? Does the model even exist?

Are bidders being taken for a ride?

Even stranger are the words "theres 3 iterms (sic) pictures to follow in a few days i have a photo of the what it looked like in real life".  I hope that the 'real life' picture is well detailed but i suspect it may be a B&W picture out of the paint shop in 19-hundred-and-frozen-to-death. It all seems very rushed - probably a cancelled order ?

• RMweb Gold

He probably did have a BIN of £325 as well as a start price for an auction.  However, once someone bids, the BIN option is removed automatically.

Oh! I did note the good reviews, just thought it odd. Thanks for filling me in, I've learnt something today.

• RMweb Gold

Understanding your market may be regarded as an advantage. I have, this very day, received an identical new-in-sealed-factory-box model from the US, which via ebay even including £21 postage cost me £73. How much is this clown asking?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Bachmann-Williams-BAC25479-On30-Baldwin-Forney-DCC-Pntd-Unlet-/310737558325?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item485966db35

And this line takes some sort of biscuit! iconSME-Small.pngEXTRA 10% OFF WHEN YOU BUY 30 OR MORE

• RMweb Gold

That has got to be the worst feedback rating I have ever seen on Ebay. Nearly a thousand negatives in the past 12 months and a thousand neutral as well.

Don't think I'd risk dealing with them....

• RMweb Gold

That has got to be the worst feedback rating I have ever seen on Ebay. Nearly a thousand negatives in the past 12 months and a thousand neutral as well.

Don't think I'd risk dealing with them....

Not only that but seller name is ukpartsdeal, location Hamburg.  That's the kind of thing I always steer clear of. 

• RMweb Gold

Understanding your market may be regarded as an advantage. I have, this very day, received an identical new-in-sealed-factory-box model from the US, which via ebay even including £21 postage cost me £73. How much is this clown asking?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Bachmann-Williams-BAC25479-On30-Baldwin-Forney-DCC-Pntd-Unlet-/310737558325?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item485966db35

And this line takes some sort of biscuit! iconSME-Small.pngEXTRA 10% OFF WHEN YOU BUY 30 OR MORE

Not as much as this guy! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Williams-BAC25479-On30-Baldwin-Forney-DCC-Pntd-Unlet-/321088682489?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4ac26079f9

Hi

I emailed this very same chap a while back about selling something at buy it now, normally £1.98, him £39.99, told him he was over charging ,got an email back saying he would look at it, only for him to put the price up even more!.

I don't know if anyone is interested in these items*. They appear to be pages from old magazines, which usually sell for about 10p (for the whole thing). The seller admits to them being in poor condition too!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Vintage-Retro-/69851/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=dublo

I thought the adverts were quite interesting. Not saying I'd buy then though.

Edited by The Bigbee Line

I don't know if anyone is interested in these items*. They appear to be pages from old magazines, which usually sell for about 10p (for the whole thing). The seller admits to them being in poor condition too!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Vintage-Retro-/69851/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=dublo

I thought the adverts were quite interesting. Not saying I'd buy then though.

The adverts themselves are indeed interesting, but my point was the ridiculous price! :O :nono: :no:

Edited by Il Grifone

And this one, trying for a podium position in both keyword spamming and David Bailey categories

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dinky-corgi-Hornby-model-railways-fairground-or-circus-/171161280559?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item27da01e02f

And then fails to say the size of the objects* for sale!

*Whatever they are???