EBay madness

Marcyg

Well the description's  correct

"A model that your friends will not have on their layout - a burnt out or vandalised guards van."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Burnt-out-guards-van-/331052475484?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4d1443e45c#ht_227wt_1255

Didn't we see this one a couple of months back? The shape of the meltings looks suspiciously familiar.

• RMweb Premium

Well the description's  correct

"A model that your friends will not have on their layout - a burnt out or vandalised guards van."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Burnt-out-guards-van-/331052475484?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4d1443e45c#ht_227wt_1255

How many guards van fires did it take to come up with the prototype for this?

• RMweb Gold

Well someone HAS put a bid on it!

Ah, but have they? I spotted a while ago a bulk listing of similar locos all with one bid on each, close to the time of listing...a second account maybe to get things started..?

• RMweb Gold

We are beginning to seriously exaggerate!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-DUBLO-12-TON-757051-VAN-WAGON-MISSING-A-PIECE-OFF-THE-ROOF-SEE-THE-PHOTOS-/151047850629?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item232b274a85

This common item might be worth a couple of quid for spares in this condition......

As yes but 'IT IS CENTIMETERS LONG'  I guess that makes it rare 'cos the original was in Imperial? :jester:

• Like 1

Ah, but have they? I spotted a while ago a bulk listing of similar locos all with one bid on each, close to the time of listing...a second account maybe to get things started..?

That is one expensive way of getting things started :O . A Flea-bay invoice would be automatically raised for 10% of the selling price.......

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Not necc madness but can anyone explain this?  I don't think I've seen this before.  On the face of it seller has 100pct feedback.  Except that when you click on the details he had a red flag nearly a year ago which should make his feedback 162/163 x 100 = 99.3?

The reason for the red flag was he allegedly refused to sell at the winning bid.  Now some may say the diff of 0.7pct isn't much but anyone looking at the top screen without drilling down into the detail wouldn't see this, which I regard as significant.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Blue-Riband-BR-Collett-2260-/261318911570?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3cd7d22652

• RMweb Premium

That is one expensive way of getting things started :O . A Flea-bay invoice would be automatically raised for 10% of the selling price.......

Tony

So in this instance, would the seller automaticly be billed 10% of the selling price straight from his Paypal account, even if it was his bid, Tony?

Im guessing that could be said he's not just shot himself in the foot, but blown it clean off! :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

Not necc madness but can anyone explain this?  I don't think I've seen this before.  On the face of it seller has 100pct feedback.  Except that when you click on the details he had a red flag nearly a year ago which should make his feedback 162/163 x 100 = 99.3?

The reason for the red flag was he allegedly refused to sell at the winning bid.  Now some may say the diff of 0.7pct isn't much but anyone looking at the top screen without drilling down into the detail wouldn't see this, which I regard as significant.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Blue-Riband-BR-Collett-2260-/261318911570?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3cd7d22652

Looks like the item in question was a 'layout' . My guess is he made a serious miss judgement when he listed it or failed to notice he didn't enter a start price.

Either way its poor!

We are beginning to seriously exaggerate!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-DUBLO-12-TON-757051-VAN-WAGON-MISSING-A-PIECE-OFF-THE-ROOF-SEE-THE-PHOTOS-/151047850629?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item232b274a85

This common item might be worth a couple of quid for spares in this condition......

Funny that many of these wagons have the same bit of roof missing....it makes me wonder if it is a manufacturing or packing fault....

A few mistakes on the listing as well....

Make:       Hornby/TRIANG (MADE IN ENGLAND) 

Model:      WAGON/TRUCK

Colour: As per picture

Model Condition:  USED

Box Description:  NO BOX

Notes: THIS IS IN USED CONDITION, IT HAS A PIECE OFF THE CORNER OF THE ROOOF, IT IS SOLD AS PER THE PICTURERS.

IT IS  CENTIMETERS LONG.

I WILL SHIP WORLDWIDE TO ALL COUNTRIES.

Edited by Sarahagain

What on earth is the seller on about with these two saddle tanks and the 'wrong' facing lions?

This will be the old "heraldry" thing regarding the later Crest.

The early (and best In my opinion!) "Emblem" was not a heraldic crest, and was made in "left" and "right" facing versions, so that the lion on the unicycle was always facing the "front" of the locomotive (usually the "A" cab on double cab locos...).

The 1956 Crest WAS a heraldic device, and it is just not cricket to have two heraldic crests for the one organisation/ family. In heraldry, it does indeed matter which way the lion faces, and the British Transport Commission was out of order in having versions made in "left" and "right" facing versions, so that the lion in the crown was always facing the "front" of the locomotive (usually the "A" cab on double cab locos...).

So...the right facing later Crest is the "wrong facing lion" transfer...and the BTC soon only used the correct left facing Lion transfer, so some lions went backwards!

The seller has got mixed up...and is calling the right facing early emblem lion "wrong facing".

I hope that helps clear this up? ;)

So in this instance, would the seller automaticly be billed 10% of the selling price straight from his Paypal account, even if it was his bid, Tony?

Im guessing that could be said he's not just shot himself in the foot, but blown it clean off! :mosking:

You are blocked from bidding for your own items so would have to use a second account. Flea-bay issues a monthly bill which can be paid by Paypal or credit card or BGC.

But basically 'yes', you would have to pay the 10% selling fees, plus listing fees etc. Selling on flea-bay is not free, if the purchaser uses Paypal there is an additional fee to the seller based on a percentage of the transaction (so including a percentage of the postage cost!). The total fees for selling can be up to 15% which all go to e-bay or Paypal (which is owned by e-bay).

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I've seen steam locos called many things but a "smoke box"?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oo-dcc-fitted-smoke-box-/171165853704?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item27da47a808

Smokes good!!...?

In DCC circles, certainly not! "Letting out the magic smoke" is a euphemism for blowing the decoder up!

You are blocked from bidding for your own items so would have to use a second account. Flea-bay issues a monthly bill which can be paid by Paypal or credit card or BGC.

But basically 'yes', you would have to pay the 10% selling fees, plus listing fees etc. Selling on flea-bay is not free, if the purchaser uses Paypal there is an additional fee to the seller based on a percentage of the transaction (so including a percentage of the postage cost!). The total fees for selling can be up to 15% which all go to e-bay or Paypal (which is owned by e-bay).

Tony

Thinking about this....could the "seller" cancel the transaction by agreeing with the "buyer" (2nd account) to cancel their transaction?

In theory the "seller" would be credited the final value fees, and the "buyer" would get an Ebay "bad boy" slap on the wrist for not completing the transaction.

So, the "seller" would only "lose" the listing fees...

Thinking about this....could the "seller" cancel the transaction by agreeing with the "buyer" (2nd account) to cancel their transaction?

In theory the "seller" would be credited the final value fees, and the "buyer" would get an Ebay "bad boy" slap on the wrist for not completing the transaction.

So, the "seller" would only "lose" the listing fees...

No need. If the seller marks the item as 'paid' and 'dispatched' plus positive feedback but no actual money changes hands........only the final price fee is payable which is worth it particularly if you have a goodly number of watchers. You just relist it.

Even a PayPal transaction can be reversed. A lot of this goes on on E Bay but as long as it is a random thing it won't be noticed.

Tony

Don't forget that the eBay 10% selling fee now (from September)  includes the postage element! The combination of the PayPal skim at 3%, followed by the eBay slice from the remainder, comes to 12.7%. Or looked at another way, if a seller's postage cost is £1, he has to add 15p to avoid a loss on the postage component.

The Nim.