EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

It's probably no accident that all of these dodgy storage roads don't have any stock.  With all the boards being 8ftx4ft it's most unlikely the layout is portable: any buyer will probably have to strip the layout in which case it's worth the second-hand value of its components which is going to be nowhere near the asking price.

But look what you can do with all those 1st radius points1

• RMweb Gold

Another supermarket tie-in? 

I think Waitrose are part of the John Lewis Partnership - a collective owned by the staff? ISTR the motto is "never knowingly undersold" which is a bit different to the motives of the average ebay seller!

• RMweb Gold

Yes that would appear to be the case. I was wondering if anyone had any inside knowledge - their estimates seem around 30 - 50% of the normal prices for these items.

Prices on some Hornby stuff can be low - it really all seems to depend on what the well-heeled collectors need and availability.  But some auctioneers deliberately set estimates low in order to 'encourage interest' while sometimes they can be genuinely surprised when something makes ten times the estimate.

Getting results on line seems to depend entirely on the auctioneer's IT system - those who have a  reasonably well set-uo system should be able to get results online within no more than a couple of days as they are entered straight off the auctioneer's sheets as the sale progresses which automatically creates buyer invoices and seller's result sheets and clocks up against the lots on the electronic listing (although that is inevitably the last thing that seems to be turned live).

I used that to deflate SWMBO's strange assertion that I have too many trains!  :no: :) :jester:

Hornby 0 gauge doesn't take long to reach that sort of money!

Does anyone know how much it actually made? Their estimates look rather low to me.

According to my local paper the auction made £48,000!

Pobda

• RMweb Gold

Why is it that when I'm selling I never seem to get 2 determined bidders slugging it out like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Gauge-3-5inch-5inch-Garden-Steam-Railway-Track-Points-and-Turntable-/151148458288?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2331267130

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 1

Complete with box........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261316232759?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Do sellers really think this adds to the value?

Tony

Sadly I threw my Triang 0-6-0 chassis out some years ago - replaced it with an R1 chassis from H-D which fitted quite well. Still got it somewhere !

I never thought I'd see the words rare and centenary in the same listing title.They are blood and custard though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-LIMITED-EDITION-RAKE-GWR-CENTENARY-COACHES-EX-R2024-TRAIN-PACK-RARE-/221309710993?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3387163291

The "LITTLE OR NO USE" is appropriate seeing the limited route availability of the prototype! :jester:

The price is reasonable though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, that really is a load of junk.  Wonder how he arrived at the actual starting price of £8.99?

When you list an item EBay now helpfully "suggests" a starting price, based on the finishing price of other items, that you then override if you wish to go a 99p start price or similar.

If you are not concentrating you don't notice they have suggested a BIN format and override their suggested BIN price with 99p.......

How much ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superb-Rivarossi-1500-PENNSYLVANIA-5-STRIPE-LIVERY-4-6-6-4-CLASS-GG1-ELECTRIC-/370934022465?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item565d640141

Unless it's already been listed here.

I don't profess to be an expert on collectable models but struck me as a bit steep.

...and I just thought this was how many volts were required to run the real thing...!

• Like 1