EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all

Do people check prices of items before they bid?

Recently a SE Finecast rebuilt LNER W1 kit went for £102, when the kit new from the supplier costs £94.

Ordering direct will also get you the latest upgrades to the kit.

Earlswood nob

No, why would they do that?

If its on eBay or anywhere, it must be cheap.

The adverts themselves are indeed interesting, but my point was the ridiculous price! :O :nono: :no:

I agree that it might seem expensive, but the seller has got to provide packaging of some kind, get them to the post office, then pay the postage.  There must be a minimum charge or it's as easy to throw them in the bin.  After all if you don't want them you don't have to bid.

I agree that it might seem expensive, but the seller has got to provide packaging of some kind, get them to the post office, then pay the postage.  There must be a minimum charge or it's as easy to throw them in the bin.  After all if you don't want them you don't have to bid.

I don't dispute the seller's costs (I've sold things on eBay myself), but that's my point - the bin is the place for them or, at least, sold as part of the complete magazine.

Edited by Il Grifone

Yes, that really is a load of junk.  Wonder how he arrived at the actual starting price of £8.99?

Anyway, who cares, when he's got THIS to sell:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOHNNY-MORRIS-ITS-DOGS-LIFE-WINALOT-7-SINGLE-/360772926598?pt=UK_Records&hash=item53ffbdfc86

• RMweb Premium

It's big but.....really?

Crikey! 

Check out some of those alignments on the curved sections that incorporate straight switch's!! The 5th and 6th along from the left.  :no:

Makes you question what the rest of its like! :lol:

Edited by Gary H

Crikey! 

Check out some of those alignments on the curved sections that incorporate straight switch's!! The 5th and 6th along from the left.  :no:

Warms the cockles of my heart to think that my modelling is (a little) better than this :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Crikey! 

It's probably no accident that all of these dodgy storage roads don't have any stock.  With all the boards being 8ftx4ft it's most unlikely the layout is portable: any buyer will probably have to strip the layout in which case it's worth the second-hand value of its components which is going to be nowhere near the asking price.

I used that to deflate SWMBO's strange assertion that I have too many trains!  :no: :) :jester:

Hornby 0 gauge doesn't take long to reach that sort of money!

Does anyone know how much it actually made? Their estimates look rather low to me.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold

Well the chassis might be worth a couple of quid - what sits atop it is a far from accurate representation of the original.  796 in its final form (post rebuilding in TVR days) was an inside cylinder 0-6-0T with a fairly normal looking cab, much larger cab spectacles on both sides, a higher bunker top and it also had a dome.  In GWR times it was not lettered but simply had its numberplate - on the cab sidesheet - which read GWR 796 and it had a Swindon pattern safety valve cover.  Might sell alright in France though!

Well the chassis might be worth a couple of quid - what sits atop it is a far from accurate representation of the original.  796 in its final form (post rebuilding in TVR days) was an inside cylinder 0-6-0T with a fairly normal looking cab, much larger cab spectacles on both sides, a higher bunker top and it also had a dome.  In GWR times it was not lettered but simply had its numberplate - on the cab sidesheet - which read GWR 796 and it had a Swindon pattern safety valve cover.  Might sell alright in France though!

Being H0 scale might be a problem too!

Looking at the auctioneer's website it seems to take them a couple of months to put the results on line.

Keith

Yes that would appear to be the case. I was wondering if anyone had any inside knowledge - their estimates seem around 30 - 50% of the normal prices for these items.