EBay madness

Marcyg

Well, admittedly I don't know anything about the value of Hornby Dublo stuff, but is this REALLY likely to be worth 1500USD - about 900 quid???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Bufferless-Hornby-DUBLO-OO-D8000-Bo-Bo-Diesel-Locomotive-Train-No-Buffers-/141363782359?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item20e9f022d7#ht_425wt_1167

It IS apparently FREE Shipping anywhere  :)

Edit: Oh, and it's apparently "RARE" too it possibly could be, but, isn't everything now on eBay? :jester:

It is a very rare item. though whether it's worth $1500 I wouldn't know.

It's another example of Meccano Ltd.'s futile attempts to con the Canadians with a rehashed British model. Like the CPR 'Duchess' it fooled nobody and hence its rarity.

From the same seller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-WORKING-Hornby-Dublo-3-Rail-EDG3-Canadian-Pacific-Freight-Set-OO-1215-CPR/141361317919?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D24641%26meid%3D8711494260440229220%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D10413%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D24%26sd%3D141363782359

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold

It's another example of Meccano Ltd.'s futile attempts to con the Canadians with a rehashed British model. Like the CPR 'Duchess' it fooled nobody and hence its rarity.

From the same seller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-WORKING-Hornby-Dublo-3-Rail-EDG3-Canadian-Pacific-Freight-Set-OO-1215-CPR/141361317919?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D24641%26meid%3D8711494260440229220%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D10413%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D24%26sd%3D141363782359

From a 'general dealer' chancing their arm as these sort of people usually do.

• RMweb Gold

Well, admittedly I don't know anything about the value of Hornby Dublo stuff, but is this REALLY likely to be worth 1500USD - about 900 quid???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Bufferless-Hornby-DUBLO-OO-D8000-Bo-Bo-Diesel-Locomotive-Train-No-Buffers-/141363782359?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item20e9f022d7#ht_425wt_1167

It IS apparently FREE Shipping anywhere  :)

Edit: Oh, and it's apparently "RARE" too it possibly could be, but, isn't everything now on eBay? :jester:

It's not the Canadian version but the standard BR version.  Plus it has no buffers so I've no idea why the seller thinks it's worth this money to collectors, but no doubt the market will decide.  I once bought one of these brand-new, but that was a long time ago now and I think it cost me 49 shillings of my pocket money!

It's not the Canadian version but the standard BR version.  Plus it has no buffers so I've no idea why the seller thinks it's worth this money to collectors, but no doubt the market will decide.  I once bought one of these brand-new, but that was a long time ago now and I think it cost me 49 shillings of my pocket money!

It's the lack of buffers that makes it the Canadian version. It was exactly the same otherwise. They only made a few, as only Binns Road thought it looked like anything from across the Atlantic.

Whether anyone will think it's worth this ridiculous sum remains to be seen.

Edited by Il Grifone

Dublo never did make much effort with the North American market, unlike their competitors. Both Trix and Tri-ang had a range of suitable items, though how successful they were I don't know.

Theyre really going to cancel bids from certain people? I can understand being hesitant but thats just ridiculous.

Yes, we chose to sell it on a public internet auction site, but if you buy it, we may decide not to sell it. That has to be against ebay rules?

• RMweb Premium

Theyre really going to cancel bids from certain people? I can understand being hesitant but thats just ridiculous.

Yes, we chose to sell it on a public internet auction site, but if you buy it, we may decide not to sell it. That has to be against ebay rules?

Does the seller ship to Australia or not? Not that I'm interested at all.

Item location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
Shipping to: Canada, United States, United Kingdom, Australia
Excludes: Africa, Asia, Central America and Caribbean, Middle East, Oceania, Southeast Asia, South America

This item does not ship to Australia

From the same seller

Hmm, noted, as I said I wasn't sure I had a clue :)

The second item you show I had seen earlier but decided against posting it as I determined no matter how "rare" it was is still ludicrous a price for "an old train set".

I do note that neither have rushed out the door, so they can't be that sought after.

I think there's a difference between "rare" and "sought after" and the two are sometimes mutually exclusive IMHO!

They are sought after, but probably not at that price. The 'CPR' pacific usually sells around £250 (Not to me I hasten to add - you can even get the bits* to fake them :O ), but the complete set would be 'worth' more. IIRC there is also a passenger set with a couple of British coaches.

* A pilot and headlight for the loco and the cupola and chimney for the caboose plus the transfers. The rest requires a Duchess (£25-30 as the paint work doesn't matter) and £2-3 for the brake van. The other two wagons are quite common (one can't call them freight cars!), though the Brick wagon is the unusual hybrid LNER bauxite base* and BR(E) body.

Obtaining the box is another matter... There appears to be an odd assortment of rails - sets usually had eight curved rails and two straights, one of which would be a terminal rail.

*I think there were some left over and they couldn't be bothered to respray them black.

• RMweb Premium

I thought I would try and report his threat to cancel bids from anyone the seller doesn't like the look of but - surprise surprise - the Ebay reporting system won't allow it, you can't select anything appropriate and/or enter precise details proving that really as long as the cash is there, they do not care.

I thought I would try and report his threat to cancel bids from anyone the seller doesn't like the look of but - surprise surprise - the Ebay reporting system won't allow it, you can't select anything appropriate and/or enter precise details proving that really as long as the cash is there, they do not care.

Banning the practice may fall foul of the law, hence no option to report it. You do not have to sell to anyone, just because they want to buy, and a buyer cannot force you to sell to them, subject to other laws on discrimination, of course.

Ebay do care, and do take action. I have first hand experience of reporting items that were promptly removed, one some time ago and one quite recently. In the first case I cannot think anyone else would have complained, so it was likely due to my complaint. In the latter case it may have been coincidence, but I am sure the item was taken down because of a complaint from someone.

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Does being found in a loft give it a better provenance than if it was kept within the house?

Undoubtedly - because I'm fairly sure that's where I will find my example of one of those although in my case it's an attic which add even more provenance than a loft.   I'm reasonably sure that it is Graham Farish but probably from the original issue and not the 1960s reintroduction; mine is 1960s but in its original packing and unopened (in the Ebay meaning of such a term) so it must be worth far more than that one to anyone who is daft enough to want to buy it a collector.  :jester: 

• RMweb Premium

Does being found in a loft give it a better provenance than if it was kept within the house?

No, its because of this.

" THE MODEL IS PART OF RECENT SMALL"ATTIC FIND", WHICH INCLUDED RARE EXLEY COACHES"

Being found in such illustrious company pushes its value!

Undoubtedly - because I'm fairly sure that's where I will find my example of one of those although in my case it's an attic which add even more provenance than a loft.   I'm reasonably sure that it is Graham Farish but probably from the original issue and not the 1960s reintroduction; mine is 1960s but in its original packing and unopened (in the Ebay meaning of such a term) so it must be worth far more than that one to anyone who is daft enough to want to buy it a collector.  :jester: 

It's one of the kits from the '60s (the give-aways are the tin roof, couplings and the awful bogies though some attempt has been made to improve them with better wheels and new keepers). The rainstrip ("weather bead strip") is a 'superdetail' by the builder. IMHO dividing the price by 10 would still be far too much. These were only available for a year or two being replaced by the R-T-R versions which came in various liveries with a plastic roof and improved plastic bogies with very free running pin-point axles. (A first for Graham Farish which up to then had been known for the reluctance of the wheels to turn!)

Yet another item described as rare when it's not!

Up to now to now a prototype has not been identified. LMS Cathcart Circle and Tilbury Stock have been suggested, but I'm not convinced. Most Farish products have a prototype, though it might not be all that faithfully portrayed.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold

I think we've made this point before, but it really narks me that one of our supposedly reputable dealers would even try to make a sale out of that let alone charge £40 for it.

Are they not even bothered about their reputation?