EBay madness

Marcyg

In 1944 D3 class  no 4075 was fitted with a side window cab for hauling Officer's saloons and renumbered 2000.

Thane of fife

Thank you for the information - thats made things a lot clearer! I imagine though that the livery it is carrying is completely incorrect for a loco of 1944? (unless it was done up in that way for a particular reason).

EDIT: Scratch what I wrote - i've just found this useful info from the railuk site:

http://www.railuk.info/members/steam/getsteam.php?row_id=16122

a) Loco 62000 (LNER No. 4075) was rebuilt with side window cab in 1944 for hauling officers' saloons, painted green and specially renumbered 1 for photographic purposes. When it first emerged from Doncaster late in September 1944, it was painted shop grey and numbered 1, but within a few days it was repainted green. It was not renumbered in the 1943 renumbering scheme although No. 2119 had already been allocated for it. In 1950 it received BR No. 62000. This loco was only one of two to carry the LNER official coat of arms (the other being Class A1 - later Class A3 - Pacific No. 4472 Flying Scotsman for the British Empire Exhibition in 1924-25) between the N and E on its tender.

That's my `new thing for the day' learnt!

Edited by 84A

I hate stiff like that sniping program, if someone can't be bothered bidding in person the get lost and go some where else, granted it happens from time to time people will snipe last minute it happens, but now there is so much sniping.

Was just bidding on a EWS class 73 and was sniped by some ass who when looking at his last bids has done it for the last 15 items he got!

I think Ebay should clean up its act and stop letting it happen and have like a snipe limit per month so ok you can do it like 3 times in a month then it is fairer on everyone, not just some ass who comes on and snipes at everything, the annoying thing is this bloke is sniping and then selling then saying amazing value and making up some story to sell them!

OK guessing this has upset some people, I just don't agree with the Excess sniping routine!

Edited by acko22

It's an auction.  He bid higher than you.  He won.

No-one has a right to buy stuff just because they think they should.  Snipe program or not, if you had bid higher, you'd have won.

I'd be miffed if I'd sat up until 3 am to try to win something - but then that's why I use a snipe program.  And I only win occasionally.

Right yeah it's an auction I understand that, but do you think it unfair that within a month you may win say 7 items using it? Would you not say that is excessive?

Would it not be fair to limit the sniping? To allow others to bid without been push out by peoples sniping programs which as you have said occasionally win.

Surely this defeats the object of Ebay which is for people to sell unwanted stuff and for people to buy something they want at a cheaper price than high street?

With the massive use of sniping and programs it runs the price up unfairly, all because someone wants to win one of the numerous items they have put on the snipe of which they may only get 1.

That would be like some one reserving half the items in Argos because they want one! Which happens to be one of the many items you actually do want, and not just a passing interest as a back up to the items they ideally do want!

Edited by acko22

Right yeah it's an auction I understand that, but do you think it unfair that within a month you may win say 7 items using it? Would you not say that is excessive?

Would it not be fair to limit the sniping? To allow others to bid without been push out by peoples sniping programs which as you have said occasionally win.

Surely this defeats the object of Ebay which is for people to sell unwanted stuff and for people to buy something they want at a cheaper price than high street?

With the massive use of sniping and programs it runs the price up unfairly, all because someone wants to win one of the numerous items they have put on the snipe of which they may only get 1.

That would be like some one reserving half the items in Argos because they want one! Which happens to be one of the many items you actually do want, and not just a passing interest as a back up to the items they ideally do want!

Unfortunately you don't appear to. Sellers want the highest price possible which is why they choose the auction route rather than a buy it now price. The market sets the price based on what buyers are prepared to pay. Although I don't use a sniping program I always sinpe my bids on items I really want as that way it stops others coming back with a counter bid. I win my auctions this way. When I put in my maximum early on I most often get out bid. There is nothing to stop you using a sniping program but you will still lose if your bid is less then someone else's. How can you tell a sniping program has been used anyway?

I buy stuff regularly and have also sold things occasionally. When I do sell unwanted items I am keen to get the best price possible so that I can use the funds to reinvest in purchasing other model railway stuff that I want.

As an occasional seller I would not be happy if Ebay put in restrictions as to who can buy and what they can pay as per your suggestion.

When I have sold stuff in the past I have sometimes been amazed at what people will pay for things whereas at other times things have gone for less than I had anticipated that's the joy of Ebay

It is the basic rule of supply and demand - everything has a price. If somebody snipes and ends up paying over the odds then surely that is their prerogative. If it is something they specifically want then good luck to them. If however they are doing it in order to subsequently resell the item themselves then then they will end up losing out as they are likely to sell it on for less than they purchased it for.

Easy ways to tell if a sniping program has been used you can actually check for the bidders last bid on all the items they have gone for, up to the 6 month mark if you really wanted to and all winning bids at either 5 or 2 seconds with the ones winning at 2 seconds having not won at 5. Having seen one of the snipe programs that's how they generally operate within the last 5 and 2 seconds, the bid is made and if unsuccessful move to the next item down.

I to sell on Ebay and yeah we all want the best price of the goods and model railways are always popular, I am not saying complete across the board no to sniping I mean I have done it and with good reason.

Benn a member of the forces I spotted a piece of my regiements history (a corporals cane) been sold and well there was a number of dealers chasing it the only way I was ever going to get that was to snipe, to keep a piece of my regiments history within the regiment.

But there surely is an excess to it, like people have said about companies using it to sell on, it throws the concept out of the window, people who continually snipe and use the program to excess (please note not saying doing it as a rule is wrong, but to excess) are in fact only limiting the market!

I have only just started to get back into my N gauge layout after a work enforced house move, but since I have been back on Ebay numerous times I have been sniped at times by people who have really wanted the item just like me and fair play, but surely when someone is using a snipe program in one case 37 times in a month that's purely taking the biscuit, and will effect the honest buyer who wants that specific item instead of a person who's interest is passing if they lose on the other x amount of items. Then in the long run as more people are put off due to the excessive activity of some sniping bidders.

With the amount of sniping done by the excessive individuals it makes me thing it was safer in Basra from these snipers!

Easy ways to tell if a sniping program has been used you can actually check for the bidders last bid on all the items they have gone for, up to the 6 month mark if you really wanted to and all winning bids at either 5 or 2 seconds with the ones winning at 2 seconds having not won at 5. Having seen one of the snipe programs that's how they generally operate within the last 5 and 2 seconds, the bid is made and if unsuccessful move to the next item down.

I to sell on Ebay and yeah we all want the best price of the goods and model railways are always popular, I am not saying complete across the board no to sniping I mean I have done it and with good reason.

Benn a member of the forces I spotted a piece of my regiements history (a corporals cane) been sold and well there was a number of dealers chasing it the only way I was ever going to get that was to snipe, to keep a piece of my regiments history within the regiment.

But there surely is an excess to it, like people have said about companies using it to sell on, it throws the concept out of the window, people who continually snipe and use the program to excess (please note not saying doing it as a rule is wrong, but to excess) are in fact only limiting the market!

I have only just started to get back into my N gauge layout after a work enforced house move, but since I have been back on Ebay numerous times I have been sniped at times by people who have really wanted the item just like me and fair play, but surely when someone is using a snipe program in one case 37 times in a month that's purely taking the biscuit, and will effect the honest buyer who wants that specific item instead of a person who's interest is passing if they lose on the other x amount of items. Then in the long run as more people are put off due to the excessive activity of some sniping bidders.

With the amount of sniping done by the excessive individuals it makes me thing it was safer in Basra from these snipers!

I still don't see how you can tell it was a program. I always bid in the last 2 seconds without using a program. If they are dealers and out bid you then they run the risk of not realising a profit but that is their problem. You seem to be moaning because you can't buy items on the cheap. Those days of ebay have gone. Yes you can pick up the odd bargain here and there but in general things are more expensive. You only have to look at the number of times an item is sold for more than you can buy it new.

Paul,

Believe me I know the days of buys dirt cheap are well gone and to be honest not sadly end of the day I do sell in there.

The reason you can tell is the symmetry of it is always 5 or 2 seconds and with the internet at home and home computer the lag alone makes it hard to do it a few times let alone a large number due to technology factors, where the snipe programs are able to work at that speak constantly.

I am not bemoaning sniping as an reality it is there and will stay fact but to allow openness to the Ebay market and to encourage more buyers do you not think there should be some kind of limit of sniping?

I know some auction sites have a option for the seller, which if there is a bid placed within the last x seconds the time is extended by x amount to allow counted bids to come in, this then benefits the seller as lets face it if you want it you ARE going to bid within reason and benefits an open market.

if you look at it from another perspective if you have a snipe program and are using it excessively you are in some respects rigging the auction.

Please not in all of this I am not saying sniping as a rule should be banned as has been said its an open market and well S@@@ happens but EXCESSIVE sniping people who are doing it day in day out. 

The only reason for sniping, IMHO, is to win the auction for a lower price by stopping further bids, as such it is not in the sellers interest. The suggestion to extend the time after the last bid would make it closer to a normal auction where the auctioneer gives time for a final bid. The auction should close when there have been no further bids for a specified period after the deadline, say 5 minutes. So if there are people who really want to pay more they have the opportunity.

Keith

I really don't understand that.

The purpose of sniping, as I understand it, is to place a higher bid as late as possible. Other bidders will have entered their maximum bids, and if there was no sniping one of them would win, so the seller gets a higher price. So it is in the sellers interest.

The question for Acko would be who decides on the 'limit for sniping' and how that would work?

We've all been disappointed in bidding, but I simply put in the maximum I am prepared to pay and leave it there. If I win I win, if I lose - there are very few things so rare that I won't get another opportunity.

• Like 3

The only reason for sniping, IMHO, is to win the auction for a lower price by stopping further bids, as such it is not in the sellers interest. The suggestion to extend the time after the last bid would make it closer to a normal auction where the auctioneer gives time for a final bid. The auction should close when there have been no further bids for a specified period after the deadline, say 5 minutes. So if there are people who really want to pay more they have the opportunity.

Keith

But that only works if people don't input the maximum they are prepared to pay. I have lost out on auctions where my last second bid has been countered by a higher bid from an early bidder on the automatic bid but that is fine because they were prepared to pay more than I was. My bid is always the maximum I am prepared to pay. Sometimes I win at a lower bid and sometimes I am out bid Que sers sera.

Smiffy and Keith,

your are both right, on the same time Smiffy as I have now quickly educated myself by reading some of the ins and out of one of the websites for a number of the sniping programs you can select x amount of items at certain time splits and prioritize them but you will put in the max you are prepared to pay for the item you are mainly after but that max will follow through to the next item so you could have bid on say Dapol 3 coach plus DVT Prentendolino set and put max at 110 notes, loss that but your next item is DRS 57 it's second hand so no one is going to pay 110 notes, but the other bidding will be sniped in the dying seconds for your second, third, tenth choice.

Granted the other bidders should have put more in possibly but if that's how your snipe program works then it is unfair on other who put in reasonable limits, I have almost been stung when I was looking for an item to ensure it I put a higher max bid to deter manual snipes but a program did it and the person who did the sniping program got stung rather than me, but that deters me from putting in a high bid as I only go for items I really can't get hold of and want and am sure I am not the only one!

This does have the say effect on others so the sellers are losing out as other buyers will be less likely to put in better bids as the chances are there is a sniper out there watching and waiting! Which comes back to Keith's point it keeps the prices lower as people can't be bothered due to sniping and are less willing to put a better offer in and in some cases don't get a chance to.

Sadly off the top of my head I cannot remember the sites but there is one in the US and one in NZ that do the time extension idea, and the US will add on an unfixed amount of time if a late bid comes in and the NZ one the seller can select the amount of time. In the US one it does state this is to deter Serial sniping and use of programs to keep a FAIRER market place, and the site is growing bigger than Ebay now as a result. 

But that only works if people don't input the maximum they are prepared to pay. I have lost out on auctions where my last second bid has been countered by a higher bid from an early bidder on the automatic bid

Quite so, but why were you putting in a last second bid? If everyone just puts in the max they are prepared to pay and leaves it to the automatic bidding, then sniping is irrelevant. Sniping is there to stop people who would get carried away in the excitement of a bidding war and push the price up higher. Hence sniping acts against the seller.

So I agree with acko22 that a time extension after a late bid would be better for the seller, and hence for eBay as they would collect more in fees.

Keith

• Like 2

....Surely this defeats the object of Ebay which is for people to sell unwanted stuff and for people to buy something they want at a cheaper price than high street?....!

Errm....no. eBay doesn't work quite like that, and I think you're expecting far too much of it as a would-be buyer. Nobody has a God-given right to a particular auction lot.

The simple rule is: if you want it badly enough, you will have to reconcile yourself to shelling out a bit more than your rivals. It's not always going to work out cheaper, and anyone who thinks it should, time after time, is being unrealistic.

I do sometimes wait until the dying seconds if it's something I really want. I don't use a snipe program as I think that's unnecessary software.

Ok Horsetan

I'm not saying I have any kind of right to a purchase at all, far from it I fully go but an open market place!

Nor do I think it is going to be cheaper time after time for things just because it is on Ebay, I myself have paid more than what something was in the shops in the past fro things you can't get in the shops, so I do understand the logical of it, I am not blinkered with it.

As you say you sometimes wait till the dying seconds if you want something the key work been (SOMETIMES) my issue is with people who use snipe programs and are at it all the time using it to excess and to rig is so that no one gets a chance to counter the offer, if I had a chance to make better offers still I would there are some items which while I would have stilled paid extra mainly due to rarity on my original bid I would again have raised it.

Call me old school or what you will but if you wanted something bad enough you wouldn't use a snipe program time after time after time, and have that is first choice then a number of unwanted fall backs which pushes others out of the market.

You would make a good offer on the one item and if a genuine offer beats you then fair that's life and ok the occasional got to have it snipe, but repeatedly doing it daily that just sours it for the buyers as they don't get what they want and in a number of cases included one that I have been the unlucky sod of this morning they use the snipe program to get it cheap by hitting last second for a lower priced product and then a few days later its back on at a distinctly higher price, which call me dramatic is you want it is effectively rigging the field so to speak, so the people who were selling the item don't see the profit it may be able to make either as someone else takes for themselves.

• RMweb Premium

Surely this defeats the object of Ebay which is for people to sell unwanted stuff and for people people to buy something they want at a cheaper price than high street?

Going off some of the ebay madness stuff on here - most definitely not. Plenty of times when you can buy cheaper than ebay.

Cheers,

Mick

:blum:No doubt Mick at that normal now days.

I just go on there for the rare item I can't get and may be on there and well if there is something that's not as expensive in the shop (rare these days true) that I do want!

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the main thread for a while, and back to something remotely funny.

Instant Rust can work wonders for the 'scrap condition' market! I just like the irony that amongst his other items listed is 'Criminal Minds' DVD.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-ABANDONED-COACH-MAROON-CREAM-COACH-ABANDONED-SCRAPYARD-COACH-WEATHERED-/221525278357?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3393ef7e95

And this one made me laugh a little from the same seller, especially listed with 'Unique' That it is, if your only modelling the NRM.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-FLYING-SCOTSMAN-BEING-RESTORED-AT-THE-NATIONAL-RAILWAY-MUSEUM-WEATHERED-/221520853867?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3393abfb6b

And from somebody else - did Peaks tend to run into Mud Slides? At least there's some honesty in the description though!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-gauge-WEATHERED-Bachmann-32-651-class-44-Penyghent-BR-blue-44008-DCC-READY-/221520856831?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3393ac06ff