EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

Do as I do, set the highest price YOU want to pay for an item.

If you get it for less, bonus.

If you,don't get it, it's because someone was prepared to pay more than you.

Simples.

That's it in a nutshell. Sniping program or not (ive used one in the past myself) it makes no  dam  difference.

What is dafter is the numpties that sit by the PC upto 4 days before the end of the auction, bidding, bidding, bidding, bidding again, getting into bidding wars whilst all the time they are inflating the price much to the joy of the seller and then moan when they get out bid!

Just bang in your absolute max a few secs from the end, you either get it or you don't.

And yeah, it is really that simple!

And from somebody else - did Peaks tend to run into Mud Slides? At least there's some honesty in the description though!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-gauge-WEATHERED-Bachmann-32-651-class-44-Penyghent-BR-blue-44008-DCC-READY-/221520856831?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3393ac06ff

Hi,

In the same vain:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-gauge-WEATHERED-Hornby-R2349-Class-50-Ark-Royal-BR-Blue-LARGE-LOGO-and-DCC-/321474838305?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4ad964bf21

It does look like he's biologically weathered with his own anatomy!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

In the same vain:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-gauge-WEATHERED-Hornby-R2349-Class-50-Ark-Royal-BR-Blue-LARGE-LOGO-and-DCC-/321474838305?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4ad964bf21

It does look like he's biologically weathered with his own anatomy!

Simon

Oh dear oh dear! What a waste of a nice model! :O  :O

Quote:

The weathering is generally ok.

No mate, it is far from OK, its basically wrecked and needs a complete re spray.

Edited by Gary H

When I am interested in an E-Bay item. I decide what the maximum is that I would pay for the item. If I am not familiar with the prices that similar items go for, I do a bit of research. 

I usually place my bid a few hours before the end of the auction, if the bidding is below what I am prepared to pay. If somebody outbids me, then it's my bad luck. I DO NOT chase prices up by making further bids, because I have already bid my maximum.

I also bid for items in outside auctions, and there make a commission bid and leave it at that. Sometimes I win and sometimes i lose. At a recent auction, I left seven commission bids, and didn't win any, losing by a few pounds in six and by a long way in the seventh, but I wasn't prepared to go higher for any of the items.

I sometimes get real bargains. I left a bid of £250 (plus commission) for a job lot and got it for £140. When I received the lot. It had a set of wheels and a spare chassis kit included which added nearly £100 to the value.

Thane of fife

Ok Horsetan

I'm not saying I have any kind of right to a purchase at all, far from it I fully go but an open market place!

Nor do I think it is going to be cheaper time after time for things just because it is on Ebay, I myself have paid more than what something was in the shops in the past fro things you can't get in the shops, so I do understand the logical of it, I am not blinkered with it.

As you say you sometimes wait till the dying seconds if you want something the key work been (SOMETIMES) my issue is with people who use snipe programs and are at it all the time using it to excess and to rig is so that no one gets a chance to counter the offer, if I had a chance to make better offers still I would there are some items which while I would have stilled paid extra mainly due to rarity on my original bid I would again have raised it.

Call me old school or what you will but if you wanted something bad enough you wouldn't use a snipe program time after time after time, and have that is first choice then a number of unwanted fall backs which pushes others out of the market.

You would make a good offer on the one item and if a genuine offer beats you then fair that's life and ok the occasional got to have it snipe, but repeatedly doing it daily that just sours it for the buyers as they don't get what they want and in a number of cases included one that I have been the unlucky sod of this morning they use the snipe program to get it cheap by hitting last second for a lower priced product and then a few days later its back on at a distinctly higher price, which call me dramatic is you want it is effectively rigging the field so to speak, so the people who were selling the item don't see the profit it may be able to make either as someone else takes for themselves.

This honestly all comes down to free market choices...

1) I'm happy with the eBay model. Not that different from a live auction with the exception that there is no auctioneer "resetting the countdown" when someone ups the bid after he says "going twice...". That's the way the designed it, and you have a countdown clock and KNOW when you can up your bid, essentially any time you like. Works for me - whether I win or lose, I accept the premise and functionality. Again, no-one is forced to use ebay, be they buyer or seller.

2) I've often sat and bid in the last 6-9 seconds for an item I'd really like to have, BUT, not always won. If I bid MORE than the highest other bid, I win, less, I lose. Simple as that. I've also done that on a LOT of items in succession, you'd have no idea whether I used a sniping program or not, simply that I only bid at the last minute for items I want. I prefer on some items to NEVER bid early, as I prefer not to add myself to the list of interested parties - I personally feel it helps my chances, but doubt that is scientifically accurate anyway. Just makes me feel like I have a better chance.

3) Whether it's a person at 6-9 seconds or a sniping program, there is NO DIFFERENCE. I either win because my limit is higher than the next person or I lose. If I set my high limit at 1000 quid for an item currently at 80, I may win it for 81 or 999, that's MY decision as to my limit, and I decide on that and don't blame eBay for me not winning.

4) Honestly, if someone wins something, then turns around and re-lists it higher, more power to them if they figure some numpty folks will buy it/anything at still higher price. You had the opportunity to win it originally IF you bid the highest.

No real difference than someone walking into Hattons and buying a model on sale and listing it on eBay. Everyone had the opportunity to buy it at Hattons, and NOW they can pay more if they want to!

Good example, I got my 4-CEP from Hattons on sale for the silly price of something like 69 quid. ANYONE could have got one for that much (subject to supplies of course) but some folks,AS HATTONS WERE SELLING THEM AT THAT PRICE, were bidding 100 quid plus for the same thing on eBay. Any time someone wants it more than you do (and are prepared to bid it up) you'll lose, until you want it the most.

5) eBay was never a place to necesarily get stuff cheap, as I think you already acknowledged, but it's getting harder to get "good deals" mostly because there are more folks fishing for fewer available items. I always know/set my limit for any item and bid that. I could have won 23 MN locos this weekend if I'd placed 200 quid bids on each one. I won NONE as I didn't want to bid higher than the winner on any I was interested in - wasn't anyone's "fault" I didn't win any but mine.

It's false logic to blame eBay/sniping for losing. Bid your highest at any time, additionally, sit there and bid the maximum you're prepared to spend around 6-9 second before the close and either you win or you weren't prepared to pay what the MARKET (i.e. another bidder with more money to spend on it)  was prepared to pay for the item.

• Like 2

Ian,

I totally agree with your points in principle and for those that think I am moaning about sniping full stop, if say Ian snipes me at 5, 2 what ever seconds I would never have a problem with that he is physically there and if he did it on a few items then so be it.

But for people that are constantly using sniping software to push every one out that's my personal gripe I know others will disagree with that and say it's there choice to do it and I should bid higher.

But then on the flip side there are shop that sell second hand items at well in some cases less than 10% cheaper than the new thing which has been others gripe on here that there is to many shops and they can get away with charging that amount as it is damn near impossible to buy it off Joe 90 directly as you just get sniped out on a persons say 3rd option in there snipe program list.

I know people disagree and I respect them opinions and what people say and sniping is a fact of life in the online auction world but like anything surely there has to be a limit on how much a person should be able to do it, fine do it on a single item at a time  that's life you win some you lose some but using a program to do it over multiple items that that strikes me personally as wrong!

Going back to the main thread for a while, and back to something remotely funny.

Instant Rust can work wonders for the 'scrap condition' market! I just like the irony that amongst his other items listed is 'Criminal Minds' DVD.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-ABANDONED-COACH-MAROON-CREAM-COACH-ABANDONED-SCRAPYARD-COACH-WEATHERED-/221525278357?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3393ef7e95

And this one made me laugh a little from the same seller, especially listed with 'Unique' That it is, if your only modelling the NRM.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-FLYING-SCOTSMAN-BEING-RESTORED-AT-THE-NATIONAL-RAILWAY-MUSEUM-WEATHERED-/221520853867?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3393abfb6b

And from somebody else - did Peaks tend to run into Mud Slides? At least there's some honesty in the description though!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-gauge-WEATHERED-Bachmann-32-651-class-44-Penyghent-BR-blue-44008-DCC-READY-/221520856831?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3393ac06ff

Two observations with these items:

Firstly the coach is so decrepit and decayed that in the final picture it appears to have simply toppled over and died!

Secondly he has clearly done his homework on the real Flying Scotsman as that has not got a motor either!

Awesome!! :)

• RMweb Premium

Two observations with these items:

Firstly the coach is so decrepit and decayed that in the final picture it appears to have simply toppled over and died!

Secondly he has clearly done his homework on the real Flying Scotsman as that has not got a motor either!

Awesome!! :)

On the destroyed Peak,

QUOTE:

if I was running this on my layout I'd want to neaten the weathering in places.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Ok the flying Scotsman has a "peppermint finish"!!

WOW just WOW, I am sure if the guys at NRM had in it peppermint finish in any way shape of form well P45 would be with them before they got their coat!

Maybe as an LNER pacific it should have a 'Peppercorn' finish instead!

Ian,

I totally agree with your points in principle and for those that think I am moaning about sniping full stop, if say Ian snipes me at 5, 2 what ever seconds I would never have a problem with that he is physically there and if he did it on a few items then so be it.

But for people that are constantly using sniping software to push every one out that's my personal gripe I know others will disagree with that and say it's there choice to do it and I should bid higher.

But then on the flip side there are shop that sell second hand items at well in some cases less than 10% cheaper than the new thing which has been others gripe on here that there is to many shops and they can get away with charging that amount as it is damn near impossible to buy it off Joe 90 directly as you just get sniped out on a persons say 3rd option in there snipe program list.

I know people disagree and I respect them opinions and what people say and sniping is a fact of life in the online auction world but like anything surely there has to be a limit on how much a person should be able to do it, fine do it on a single item at a time  that's life you win some you lose some but using a program to do it over multiple items that that strikes me personally as wrong!

You don't seem to understand how sniping works. If I bid my maximum on ebay then that can be exposed by people putting in small increment bids until they beat it. If I put my maximum into a sniping program they can't do this. They then have to decide how much they are prepared to bid as a maximum. This could also be put into a sniping program, bid at the last minute or just put in as normal. When the auction end the person who bids the most wins regardless of the method used. A sniping program cannot bid any more than the maximum input into it. It seems you are losing out by not bidding the maximum you are prepared to pay and it has nothing to do with the method.

• RMweb Gold

Ian

Ian,

Ian. I get it.  

To summarise:

You don't like sniping and think it should be restricted.

Hi Colin,

I don't mind sniping if its a person doing it on a item, but when people are using them sniping programs and effectively bullying anyone out of the market  then I think it should be restricted that kind of activity only harms all parties but the sniper in the long run!

Paul,

I am totally aware of how sniping works and like I have said one an item ok but the use of programs and excessive sniping, no that's wrong especially when people use it so that they can resell the item days later, but if you are unsure I get it I can teach you the ballistic properties of various projectiles we use in the army my maths degree does help with that!

Hi Colin,

I don't mind sniping if its a person doing it on a item, but when people are using them sniping programs and effectively bullying anyone out of the market  then I think it should be restricted that kind of activity only harms all parties but the sniper in the long run!

Paul,

I am totally aware of how sniping works and like I have said one an item ok but the use of programs and excessive sniping, no that's wrong especially when people use it so that they can resell the item days later, but if you are unsure I get it I can teach you the ballistic properties of various projectiles we use in the army my maths degree does help with that!

Now I know you are confused. Sniping in the Ebay sense is not bullying and has nothing to do with ballistics, it is just a means of protecting your maximum bid from exposure. If I see an item I want I decide how much it is worth to me. I input this amount. Regardless of what happens after that that is my bid. It is no different to me doing it at the time the auction is ending. If you bid less then you lose but if you bid more I lose regardless of whether it was me sniping or a program. If I win and then choose to sell at a higher price then I run the risk of not selling. If you want something just make sure you have bid the maximum you are prepared to pay then you amy be more successful.

Paul,

Sadly confusion is saying the same thing 4 times like you have!

It is bullying the sale you give no one else a chance to respond, hence why other sites are taking the added time on to it. Someone may not put  higher price on due to people that vindictively run the price up which again is a know tactic on Ebay, so by doing it on multiple items via a program is effectively cornering the market and bullying it people have to play YOUR way or its tough to them which by definition is a type of bullying.

Owe just one to note Paul I am fully aware ballistic properties have nothing to do with online sniping but "you don't understand" becomes condescending when I have said I am fully aware or how it works and rather insulting 

Edited by acko22

• RMweb Premium

With the same mudslide and almost all over filth, apparently leaving one cabside & BR logo in ex-works condition.

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the main thread for a while, and back to something remotely funny.

Instant Rust can work wonders for the 'scrap condition' market! I just like the irony that amongst his other items listed is 'Criminal Minds' DVD.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-ABANDONED-COACH-MAROON-CREAM-COACH-ABANDONED-SCRAPYARD-COACH-WEATHERED-/221525278357?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3393ef7e95

And this one made me laugh a little from the same seller, especially listed with 'Unique' That it is, if your only modelling the NRM.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-FLYING-SCOTSMAN-BEING-RESTORED-AT-THE-NATIONAL-RAILWAY-MUSEUM-WEATHERED-/221520853867?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3393abfb6b

The second one is 'unique' all right - uniquely dreadful!

Scrapped or undergoing repair/restoration needs just as much work as in running condition to look convincing and if anything a poor original model looks even worse.

Just removing/hacking off  a few bits and slapping on a coat of crud is not enough.

(IMHO of course!)

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

Not madness (at least not yet) in terms of price but a serious case of 'What is it?' apart from a broken Hornby T9 tender attached to a "kit built" something claiming to be a LSWR D18 which as far as I can see never existed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIT-BUILT-LSWR-DRUMMOND-D18-4-4-0-469-Hornby-T9-8-WHEEL-TENDER-IN-SAGE-LIVERY-/371125346150?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5668cb5f66&autorefresh=true

There is a passing resemblance to a D15 though.

I love that rail-built connecting rod...

I wonder if there's one the same on the other side?

I suppose it could be a D15 - the number is from a D15 - looks almost like it's tinplate, doesn't it, they way the rear of the cab is supported by a wire hoop which also forms the cab handrails.

I actually quite like that. Might look nice on a shelf next to a tinplate bus.

• RMweb Premium

Kevin,

It was the new method of leaving Crewe works after exams. I'm by rail then pushed down the embankment back onto the mainline!!!

Ah, yes. Crewe did have a reputation for filthy locos.

I love that rail-built connecting rod...

I wonder if there's one the same on the other side?

I suppose it could be a D15 - the number is from a D15 - looks almost like it's tinplate, doesn't it, they way the rear of the cab is supported by a wire hoop which also forms the cab handrails.

I actually quite like that. Might look nice on a shelf next to a tinplate bus.

Making coupling rods from bullhead rail used to be the way it was done*, but we have moved on (or so I thought!).

I thought it looked like tinplate too (possibly the crude approximation effect?).

* It's OK as a start (nice cheap fluted strip), but it needs a lot more work than just drilling holes in it before it looks like a locomotive part. (An etched component is a lot easier.)

Edited by Il Grifone