EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Ian. A fascinating item.

It shows that a 0.99c start price can do well The presentation is an object lesson in effective listing and not using the dreaded 'private listing' which we see on some cheap items up for auction.

It would seem that there are a couple of dealers in the running and that there is an altruistic motive with some profits going to the Christopher Reeve Foundation.

What would Sheldon Cooper make of this....? :O  :P

One good thing about it is that as an ephemera item for sale in the USA  it has t be independently graded for condition before it is offered for sale (in fact as I understand it such items cannot be offered for sale by auction unless they have been independently graded.  So forget 'Mint In Box' and all that nosnense - this really will be in the condition described and that has undoubtedly influenced the bidding.

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

Yeugh (Spelling??)

I'm not refering to properly weathered locomotives, but I have noticed that a lot of so called "weathered" locomotives (like the one linked in post #12280) all look the same. Its as if "weathering" is a livery. Sprayed "dirt" in all the wrong places. They look like each other, but not like real working locomotives that need a clean.

• RMweb Premium

Like somebody said a few posts ago. Do they ever check the picture they have taken?

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Not the only thing he has for sale.  Can you see what it is? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/zyxel-router-/161402363698?pt=UK_Computing_Wireless_Routers&hash=item2594549f32

He's had 4 listings of this so far with 99p start price and failed to sell - I wonder why!

Edited by RFS

Like somebody said a few posts ago. Do they ever check the picture they have taken?

Keith

Possibly, or possibly the bad photograph is intended to obscure condition. There's a lot of deception in some sellers' pictures.

I saw a Record Imp vice a few years ago. The point of the Imp is that it's a bench-mounted vice with the usual screw fixing underneath. Except in this case it wasn't, it was clearly broken off (and therefore utterly useless) and it had been photographed on a silk scarf carefully arranged to hide the broken edge...

I questioned the seller who said she didn't know anything about the item and it looked complete to her! And she wanted over £50 for it.

You see a lot of that...

Well, this isn't model railway related but I just HAD to post...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-1-June-1938-Supermans-Debut-CGC-9-0-Perfect-White-Pages-/311050328393#ht_3371wt_1165

It started at .99 cents, second bid was $1Million!!!! and it's now up to $2Million USD with three days to go still :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Ah, and they don't take PayPal, not sure my PayPal balance is quite up to that anyway ;)

Well, with 8 hrs. to go the top two bidders (it's up to $2.3M now) are relative newcomers to eBay with 66 and 47 feedback respectively, will be interesting to see if a "newbie" or estabilshed buyer/seller wins!

Not the only thing he has for sale.  Can you see what it is? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/zyxel-router-/161402363698?pt=UK_Computing_Wireless_Routers&hash=item2594549f32

He's had 4 listings of this so far with 99p start price and failed to sell - I wonder why!

But they were told need to light the subject to take the photo, only now one told them it needed to be behind the camera.

• RMweb Premium

Yeugh (Spelling??)

I'm not refering to properly weathered locomotives, but I have noticed that a lot of so called "weathered" locomotives (like the one linked in post #12280) all look the same. Its as if "weathering" is a livery. Sprayed "dirt" in all the wrong places. They look like each other, but not like real working locomotives that need a clean.

This Comet Models kit of a Black 5, built by John Lingwood is what I would call properly weathered (and care worn): !

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/data/Locomotive-Kits/images/Lingwood-01-version2-DCleal_edited2.jpg

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

The £106.00 might be a typo

If you look at the other "tires" advertised for sale on the site, it would seem more likely to be £10.60

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Well, this isn't model railway related but I just HAD to post...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-1-June-1938-Supermans-Debut-CGC-9-0-Perfect-White-Pages-/311050328393#ht_3371wt_1165

It started at .99 cents, second bid was $1Million!!!! and it's now up to $2Million USD with three days to go still :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Ah, and they don't take PayPal, not sure my PayPal balance is quite up to that anyway ;)

0.99c to this 

Winning bid: US $3,207,852.00 48 bids ]