EBay madness

Marcyg

0.99c to this 

Winning bid: US $3,207,852.00 48 bids ]

:O :o :O :o

I hope the read was worth it!

I suspect it won't even be touched however.

I thought everyone knew not to bid round figures!

It seems a lot even for charity. After all one can just make a donation.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold

Nobody on here seems to have appreciated that this was a charity auction:

"Benefiting the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation"

Keith

See post # 12269

It would seem that there are a couple of dealers in the running and that there is an altruistic motive with some profits going to the Christopher Reeve Foundation.

Yes a really generous 1%.

Keith

Exactly...

$32,000USD isn't much if you can spending $3M in the first place. Not saying charity is not worthwhile, but the folks with that sort of money, in the US at least, will easily recover that charitable donation when they file their taxes and include that in their tax deductions, so it's not exactly an auction benefiting charity, more an easier way of reducing your capital outlay come year end...

• RMweb Premium

This is the best extant example of the most desirable comic in existence. It's hardly a surprising price.

I wonder how much my Viz issue#2 is worth then? :sungum:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Exactly...

$32,000USD isn't much if you can spending $3M in the first place. Not saying charity is not worthwhile, but the folks with that sort of money, in the US at least, will easily recover that charitable donation when they file their taxes and include that in their tax deductions, so it's not exactly an auction benefiting charity, more an easier way of reducing your capital outlay come year end...

I suppose, on second thoughts, that it is a rather stingy amount for IMHO a worthwhile cause.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

What is stingy about $32,000 USD?

How much in percentage terms have the members of RMweb given?

No matter what the tax treatment of the donation, it will not be recovered when doing tax returns. It will be reduced by any applicable tax allowance, but not recovered.

This is the best extant example of the most desirable comic in existence. It's hardly a surprising price.

I'm sure those with $3m to slosh around will have done their due diligence, but where in the listing does the seller state that what they are offering is genuine and an original?

Plenty about the "nicest copy ever seen", etc., but "a copy" can mean either something from the original print run or well, just that, a copy.  That an item printed during the 1930s on the paper stock available at that time should be perfectly white, all colours unfaded and with no signs of ageing strikes me that it must either have been stored in a cool, dark, anerobic archive or that the reason it doesn't show signs of ageing is that it's too young to have been affected.

Ever been had?

It's been independently checked (as I believe all such items have to be in the USA) for condition and provenance by the Certified Guaranty Company. It's genuine. It rates as a 9.0 on a scale of 1-10. There are only two 9.0 editions in the world - the other sold in 2011 for $2.1 million.

This is certainly not a 'copy'. No-one's been 'had' - unless you know something that a highly professional company and a keen set of experts have missed.

A quick Google would show you that it has, in fact, been stored since bought in a cedar box (therefore fewer bugs) in light-tight conditions at altitude.

Edited by Smiffy2

The more im seeing models like that come out of Rails of Sheffield, then the more im starting to wonder! Luckily for me I suppose I cant actually zoom in on the image of that power car - it looks bad from the side picture at the top already!

• RMweb Premium

I've taken a punt and picked up a Bachmann 4mt tank that needs a little attention from Rails of Sheffield vault (lets be honest here, its probably just a glorified cupboard!) which will be interesting to see when it arrives if it is as much of a bargain as it seemed.

Another one from the Rails Hall of mirrors vault

Yes, they don't do themselves any favours! I bought a second-hand loco from them a year or so back which wasn't as good as the description claimed - the issues weren't major and I decided to keep it but did complain and they offered to knock a tenner off the next thing I ordered. I agreed to this, but realised a while later, after I'd ordered a few more (new) items from them, that they never actually gave me the discount. Wasn't worth chasing it up, but as a result I rarely buy anything from them now - if the local model shop doesn't have something I want, then I'll use Hattons who always give good service.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how much my Viz issue#2 is worth then? :sungum:

Cheers,

Mick

At least one r-t-r loco, possibly a couple, judging by some prices on the 'net (assuming it is in mint condition)

I'm sure those with $3m to slosh around will have done their due diligence, but where in the listing does the seller state that what they are offering is genuine and an original?

Plenty about the "nicest copy ever seen", etc., but "a copy" can mean either something from the original print run or well, just that, a copy.  That an item printed during the 1930s on the paper stock available at that time should be perfectly white, all colours unfaded and with no signs of ageing strikes me that it must either have been stored in a cool, dark, anerobic archive or that the reason it doesn't show signs of ageing is that it's too young to have been affected.

Ever been had?

Not in the USA - any paper ephemera offered for sale has to be professionally graded by an independent accredited 'grader' (don't know the correct term but that describes what they do) and I suspect whoever graded it might be liable if it is not accurately graded against the condition they attributed.  Very different from the situation in the UK although it is quite legitimate to sell from the UK (and no doubt elsewhere) into the USA without independent grading.  

A chap I know moved his business to the USA because he had found the US market good ground for what he traded in and he was achieving better prices there than in Britain - but he quickly found that he couldn't sell unless his stuff was independently graded and that cost, which reduced his profit margin, he was back here in less than a year (and selling into the USA!).

Edited by The Stationmaster