EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
Bodmin Bob, on 19 Aug 2014 - 19:18, said:

According to the listing it is in 'Good unboxed condition'!

To quote a well known tv advert - 'should have gone to Specsavers'!

40 bleddy quid!!!! :O  :O :o  :O  :no:  :laugh:  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rails of Sheffield must be accepting any old crap in part ex or second hand deals.

I really must have a rummage through my scrap box.

Edited by BoD

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lima-class-31-pro-weathered-/321496687851?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4adab224eb

Pro-weathered or lightly weathered?  Both terms are used in the heading and description.  You be the judge of which is more accurate!   :scratchhead:

I suppose since 'pro' only means 'paid for', selling on eBay counts. Whether it's done properly is another matter.....  (or not?) :O

(I wouldn't describe this one as "lightly weathered" either!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lima-class-31-pro-weathered-/321496687851?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4adab224eb

Pro-weathered or lightly weathered?  Both terms are used in the heading and description.  You be the judge of which is more accurate!   :scratchhead:

Looks like his collection isn't the only one that could do with "thinning out". That weathering job, for instance....

• RMweb Premium

This has to be deal of the week

What's wrong with it?

Sorry, I meant what's right with it (much shorter list I would think!)

Even the chassis is a (very) old Triang one with solid wheels

Keith

You might be able to strip it down and start again, but would it be worth the trouble? (Though the Will's kit was designed for the Tri-ang chassis, the wheelbase is wrong.)

A decent model of a 94xx is well overdue!

Edited by Il Grifone

I find it crazy how nearly every kit built locomotive is described as built to a high standard (by a professional).

I recently bought such a locomotive for a good price, that really was badly badly constructed. The paint had been slapped on a loco glued together with an excess of glue. It had a Comet chassis/valve gear that was assembled incorrectly. The castings hadn't been prepared and still had mould lines etc.

I am not unhappy with the model as it was cheap and after it was stripped to it's components, it is becoming a nice model.

Thane of fife

• Like 5

Interesting this one....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R56-BALTIC-TANK-TRIANG-LOCO-BODY-SPARES-REPAIR-00-GAUGE-LOCOMOTIVE-NEEDS-LOVE-/111433383009?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item19f1f27c61

It is the body from a Tri-ang Railways R.56 T.C. Series 4-6-4 "Baltic" tank loco.

It has been painted green, but traces of "maroon" like colour can be seen on the roof and pipework around the cab.

Normally made in Black CA and Poly plastics, the final batches were made in Maroon plastic, and are "Rare".

The price seems to indicate that someone else has noticed the "Maroon" bits.....

BUT the inside of the body is clearly black polystyrene.

Going by the rear cross-mermber this is a "Made in England" model. (though possibly one from South Africa?).

Now some models were moulded in black, and then painted "Maroon". I think these were all made in New Zealand and Australia though.

The later "Maroon" models had the body fixing screw through the front footplate....no hole here, so still a "through the chimney" body fixing screw....

So, my conclusion is "someone will be disappointed!"

David Bailey would be turning in his grave if he weren't still alive

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/00-Hornby-under-cab-pipework-for-Evening-Star-loco-/141382967428?hash=item20eb14e084

Don't people actually look at their photos before uploading them?  I usually take 4 for each planned upload - two on macro setting with/without flash, then two on normal setting with/without flash and look carefully at which is the best one.  For small items, it can be difficult to get a sharp focus, so I put something next to it for the camera to focus on, then crop that out of the upload. 

Well, this isn't model railway related but I just HAD to post...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-1-June-1938-Supermans-Debut-CGC-9-0-Perfect-White-Pages-/311050328393#ht_3371wt_1165

It started at .99 cents, second bid was $1Million!!!! and it's now up to $2Million USD with three days to go still :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Ah, and they don't take PayPal, not sure my PayPal balance is quite up to that anyway ;)

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-1-June-1938-Supermans-Debut-CGC-9-0-Perfect-White-Pages-/311050328393#ht_3371wt_1165

It started at .99 cents, second bid was $1Million!!!! and it's now up to $2Million USD with three days to go still :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Ah, and they don't take PayPal, not sure my PayPal balance is quite up to that anyway ;)

At least it's not professionally weathered!

Imagine the postman trying to roll it up to force it through the letterbox! :O

<-- slaps forehead...why didn't I think fo this BEFORE. All I have to do is tell the Mrs of this one, and then say "see, paying "silly money",like $150 for a Merchant Navy isn't so bad after all is it!! AT least I don't collect comic books" ;) :jester:  :senile:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Ian. A fascinating item.

It shows that a 0.99c start price can do well The presentation is an object lesson in effective listing and not using the dreaded 'private listing' which we see on some cheap items up for auction.

It would seem that there are a couple of dealers in the running and that there is an altruistic motive with some profits going to the Christopher Reeve Foundation.

What would Sheldon Cooper make of this....? :O  :P

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1

It is also interesting to note that despite the item and the value, the bidding still seems to follow the same pattern as an ordinary item. i.e. there are one or two bidders repeatedly upping their price!  I wonder how many are set up to snipe this!!!

• Like 2

It shows that a 0.99c start price can do well The presentation is an object lesson in effective listing and not using the dreaded 'private listing' which we see on some cheap items up for auction.

It would seem that there are a couple of dealers in the running and that there is an altruistic motive with some profits going to the Christopher Reeve Foundation.

Might not be a private listing but bidders had to pre-qualify! So presumably it was all advertised somewhere else first. And considering the profits here 1% to charity does not seem very generous, I wonder how high the fee is for the sale organiser.

Keith