Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

I came across this thread recently, have read a few pages so hope no-one has suggested these ideas.

Set up a table at the height many seem to like these days so visitors don't have to bend down too far.

The table will have the usual curtains as you would expect but nothing at all on top of it!!!             Wait for the first parent/child to come along with one of obligatory plastic steps. Child puts steps on floor and insists on standing on it to look at layout. No layout!!!!  Next door is a nice low table with a small layout, with working train. Happy child!!!!

Second idea is one based on a sign I saw at entrance to Berlin zoo many years ago. I was visiting Berlin with a tour, and some decided to visit the zoo. On entrance was a sign listing various entrance prices including charges for taking a camera in and then to take photos. I found something else to visit.

I don't mind people taking photos of my layout. most ask before, but I don't grumble if they just take photos. Most cameras these days don't seem to need a flash light. Anyway I was thinking I could put up a sign with prices for having camera out, and also for taking photos, then duck...

There is a serious side to this , that being that it is my creation they are taking photos of, yet they have more legal protection for their photos than my models. As I say I don't mind people taking photos or using some of my ideas. I probably was inspired by someone else anyway.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

Second idea is one based on a sign I saw at entrance to Berlin zoo many years ago. I was visiting Berlin with a tour, and some decided to visit the zoo. On entrance was a sign listing various entrance prices including charges for taking a camera in and then to take photos. I found something else to visit.......

I came across that once in Germany at, IIRC, the now closed model railway centre at Lauenthal in the Harz. On enquiry it turned out that it only applied to professional photographers who intended to sell the pictures.

Jeremy

Second idea is one based on a sign I saw at entrance to Berlin zoo many years ago. I was visiting Berlin with a tour, and some decided to visit the zoo. On entrance was a sign listing various entrance prices including charges for taking a camera in and then to take photos. I found something else to visit.

I came across that once in Germany at, IIRC, the now closed model railway centre at Lauenthal in the Harz. On enquiry it turned out that it only applied to professional photographers who intended to sell the pictures.

Jeremy

Must admit from all my years living in Berlin, I don't recall seeing such a sign at either of the city's zoos. However their terms and conditions ("13. Fotografieren und Filmen") state that permission is required for professional photography, and interestingly that publication of photos or video from the zoo requires their permission.  To which I blow a raspberry in their general direction.

Must admit from all my years living in Berlin, I don't recall seeing such a sign at either of the city's zoos. However their terms and conditions ("13. Fotografieren und Filmen") state that permission is required for professional photography, and interestingly that publication of photos or video from the zoo requires their permission.  To which I blow a raspberry in their general direction.

The Sounthend Pier Museum (mostly stuff of the railway) used to be very hot on not taking your own photos. Selling their own postcards was apparently their main means of providing sufficient income for them to stay open.

• RMweb Premium

Can't be easy enforcing that sort of policy these days - a traditional camera is a bit of a giveaway but I reckon a modern smartphone can probably be used very quickly and unobtrusively (don't have one myself so no experience).

• Like 1

I think legally you may struggle as well given that you are actually exhibiting the layouts.  Do we have many people going to model railway shows taking photos to sell?  Seems a bit of a niche market to me.

Unless they are taking glamour shots of a Fell, I'd pay money for that

• RMweb Premium

Have a very precise and well modeled EM gauge modern image layout and then...

Run a model of the Ninky-Nonk round!

Oh P4 surely

Conversation overheard at the Southampton show between a rather attractive woman and her husband while looking at one of the 'N' Gauge layouts,

Wife : What about some thing like this, I'm sure we could do it, if we worked together ?

Husband : Bit small though, we'd soon lose interest, and it looks really difficult to do

Wife: it would good fun trying, and it's something we could do together

Husband wanders off

Wife looks at me, and says, sometimes I think I married the wrong man.... you like model railways... are you married ?

I've had a girl/woman want me for money before, but never my trains !

• Like 4

Conversation overheard at the Southampton show between a rather attractive woman and her husband while looking at one of the 'N' Gauge layouts,

Wife : What about some thing like this, I'm sure we could do it, if we worked together ?

Husband : Bit small though, we'd soon lose interest, and it looks really difficult to do

Wife: it would good fun trying, and it's something we could do together

Husband wanders off

Wife looks at me, and says, sometimes I think I married the wrong man.... you like model railways... are you married ?

I've had a girl/woman want me for money before, but never my trains !

She sounds like a keeper!