RMweb

Bachmann announce L&Y 2-4-2T

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I wish I could remember more..but your 'recessed door 'reference has stirred something of the vaguest of recollections, It was the strangest of lines...there never seemed to be any trains running. It was almost a ghost line in what,in parts,seemed a lunar landscape....like the climb from Abergavenny to Brynmawr which skirted the ruins of defunct blast furnaces. As you follow the Heads of The Valleys road,you can just about trace its route on the hillside above The line never seemed to belong. It was an anomaly in an alien landscape which clung to life throughout my childhood and youth.

I wish I could remember more..but your 'recessed door 'reference has stirred something of the vaguest of recollections, It was the strangest of lines...there never seemed to be any trains running. It was almost a ghost line in what,in parts,seemed a lunar landscape....like the climb from Abergavenny to Brynmawr which skirted the ruins of defunct blast furnaces. As you follow the Heads of The Valleys road,you can just about trace its route on the hillside above The line never seemed to belong. It was an anomaly in an alien landscape which clung to life throughout my childhood and youth.

It's now a Sustrans pathway for most of the way. Though I'm not sure that they have included the tunnels around Clydach.

• RMweb Gold

Duly ordered one this morning - yet again the web based ordering didn't work because as soon as I got onto the Sage payment thing the little padlock symbol resolutely refused to appear  (perhaps I should take it up with my next door neighbour who works for Sage on development?).

Bill's coaches sound interesting - that's stage 1; Stage 2 would be finding someone with the necessary skills to put them together.

Bill's coaches sound interesting - that's stage 1; Stage 2 would be finding someone with the necessary skills to put them together.

If you wait long enough you may be able to buy coach kits that will need the minimum of skill to put together -- painting, though, maybe a different kettle of fish. 

• RMweb Gold

Or learn the skills yourself, then the world of kits becomes your  bivalve mollusc

Some of the process is ok - some of it isn't, waggling soldering irons which start doing so of their own accord being distinctly inconvenient  - just pop 'essential tremors' into Google and a partial explanation will be revealed.

Mind you I wasn't very handy at some things before this struck but oddly painting all over maroon doesn't hold too many fears although it would hardly be anywhere near Coachmann's standard of course.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Some of the process is ok - some of it isn't, waggling soldering irons which start doing so of their own accord being distinctly inconvenient  -

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Tremor-(essential)/Pages/Introduction.aspx

When I looked up the link I got this:

The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Which seems quite a good statement of my modelling abilities!

• RMweb Gold

Well no email or letter to me so thanks for flagging this up and mine now ordered :)

My letter only arrived yesterday Paul so if you're on their list yours might still be in the post.

Incidentally in case anyone doesn't know they are expected to arrive Shildon around the end of November and I think all the year end NRM models have arrived more or less on time in the past.

• RMweb Gold

The rate this lot are snapping them up I decided not to wait for the mail Mike ;) I was drooling over the London Rd models at Scaleforum but can't find much time for building and painting so this is perfect for scratching the itch and I can devote the build time to stuff I actually have a layout for ;)

• Like 1

The photos in Model Rail indicate that this will be a lovely model, well up to the best standards of recent RTR offerings.  Unfortunately, while the photos show lots of rivet detail on the cab roof and footplate on both the BR and as preserved versions, there don't appear to be any signs of the rivets on the bunker sides and back as shown in post 28 on page 2 of this thread.  Admittedly, these rivets seem to have been added later in the lives of (some of?) these locos but they were very distinctive.

If anyone at Bachmann is reading this, I hope they will consider adding the rivets to some versions that may be released.

Stan

I had a look at the real 1008 yesterday and can confirm that the flush rivets on our NRM model are correct for her current condition.

• 4 weeks later...

As the Garratt is delayed, I felt that I could justify one of these - what a beauty.

89 left and counting..

N

As of 14.23 this afternoon, 14 left.

Got mine in the post today and I have yet to do any photographs of 1008. At the moment I will just show the initial photo I took for FB.

Will do some more photos later when I am doing some ballasting....

Garethp8873

9clv.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I fitted a Zimo MX648 Sound Decoder loaded with a new sound project based on preserved L&Y locos. Because of the restricted space in the bunker I had to remove the 6 pin decoder socket and hard wire the chip and use the small suger cube speaker, I have a couple of other ideas about speakers which I will try at a later date.

Here is a short clip demonstrating the sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRN2SHaBBFs&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Peter Crichton (Savoyard)

Thanks Jenny.........Respect......A non-geeky video review full of humanity and hey,  black puddings not mentioned once - a first for Bolton! :biggrin_mini2:

Seriously though, it was possible to see how the carrying wheels are mounted and sprung. Whether they carry electrical current to the motor or not,  we have yet to discover.

Peter Chrichtons video has left me seriously underwhelmed with this 2-4-2T now though. Off-centre driving wheels have not gone down well.

Edited by coachmann