Things which annoy you with modelling

Trying to fit the detailing parts to a Heljan Class 15 and a Bachy Class 20. It's not that I don't appreciate them, after years of having to do my own for Lima and Hornby in days past, it's just getting the d*mn things located.

Just HOW do I fit the sandboxes to the 20's bogies? I cannot work it out. Grrrr...

steve

• RMweb Premium

Not quite modelling but exhibitions.

People who unload their vehicle and then leave it blocking access for others. Just set up at an exhibition tonight and a guy was asked to move his car as it was in the way. He moved it about 15 yards.

About 20 minutes later, he was asked to move it again..................

And the exhibition info sent out two weeks ago clearly advised people to move to a designated parking area after unloading.

On the back of that, is people who move their vehicles ready for loading at pack up time on Sunday blocking others. Long before they are ready to load.

Rant over - hope to enjoy a good day playing trains Saturday.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

OUCH, just bit my lip. Having just come off a quick visit to a model railway fb page with whinger, and whiners complaining about Hornby. It could be justified in some circumstances BUT, most of 'em are the types that put track on a bare base board, run trains at 200 mph round 1st rad. curves with rtr building etc, I was gonna say something like finely scaled models wont take heavy-handed clumsiness - but thought better of it. :sungum:

• Like 2

... I was gonna say something like finely scaled models wont take heavy-handed clumsiness - but thought better of it.

...The present steel axle wiper pick up OO mechanisms adopt proven techniques long standard in HO, where poor drives have not been tolerated in what qualify as 'models for adults' since the 1950s. These will last mechanically - given appropriate care -  as well as the HO does. But you cannot run it on the carpet, drop it on the floor, forget to lubricate it regularly, or do other such dozy things with it. That's what the poor quality old OO is for. Pays your money, makes your choice.

There, does that meet the requirement?

One of the divides clearly afflicting the OO hobby is between those who have some mechanical aptitude and appreciation of the care required with small mechanisms which may have close to scale functional components, and bodies with relatively delicate detailing: and those who do not.

For better or worse dependent on the purchaser's requirements, all but one of the current RTR businesses appear to me to be solely targetting the first group. Hornby alone still make some provision for the second. It will be interesting to see if Hornby continue in this, with Mr Davies as CEO.

• 3 weeks later...

People who spout on about locomotives that look wrong without the correct headcode (or cab steps 1mm too far forward) and then claim to be able to be able to run all eras and liveries on the pretence that it is a 'heritage railway centre' they are modelling.

People who model locomotives and tenders as separate items and end up with huge gaps between and the tender sides and footplate out of line with the loco.   People who don't model to a standard Buffer height.  (Ugggh tension locks) .

People who spout on about locomotives that look wrong without the correct headcode and then couple their stock with giant tension lock couplings

I have some photocopier copy counters which look spot on for 00 headcodes so why don't premium manufacturers make their headcodes so they can be changed, or at least west bound one end and eastbound the other.

• RMweb Premium

I have some photocopier copy counters which look spot on for 00 headcodes so why don't premium manufacturers make their headcodes so they can be changed, or at least west bound one end and eastbound the other.

Heaven forbid - that would mean doing some actual modelling.....................

Ah - oops.

Cheers,

Mick

My top three niggles...

3. People standing in front of layouts at shows, chatting away and completely ignoring the layout, whilst others are struggling to see.

2. Right angles. Why are they so elusive when I'm woodworking?

1. The notice "This is a detailed scale model for adult collectors and as such should be handled with care", followed by the realisation that the body shell is held on by some clips that require more brute force than the warning suggests is wise to get the bloomin thing off. What's wrong with four screws and the body lifting clean off. And why oh why do those clips have to engage with the delicate, brittle clear plastic used for windows.

End of rant :)

That tiny part which has been clamped in forceps for the past 10 minutes suddenly (and literally) vanishing 2 nano seconds after applying a healthy dollop of superglue, only to be found 2 days later and 3 rooms away from where it was last seen. . .

And Pressfix type transfers that *actually* eject themselves off the model I am trying to get them to adhere to! ;-)

• RMweb Gold

At the moment, applying Pressfix number transfers to my newly repainted into BR Carmine Hornby auto trailer.  I hate this job, which is incredibly fiddly and faffy, looks awful unless you get it dead right, and difficult to align and space the numbers accurately without them drifting off position while they are drying or at the least provocation.

Truth is, I used to be able to do this job, though I never found it particularly easy or straightforward, but I am now old and feeble, and my eyes are not capable of sustained close work of this sort, and my neck hurts from holding it in an awkward position for too long, and I drool all over everything, and want nurse to do it for me...

At least there are only 3 numbers close together, and 'W' is a nice big easy to handle transfer!  I was going to keep it as 191, but in the interests of using big, easy numbers it'll probably be 189.

Ebay sales of wagons which are listed as O instead of 0 gauge and do not state whether the wheels are fine or coarse scale. It's not always easy to tell from the pics.

Even the GOG can't agree about that. ;)

On the homepage of their website they have both O and 0. With O seemingly the most commonly used.

http://www.gauge0guild.com/

http://www.gauge0guild.com/general/whatisg0.aspx

Jason

Even the GOG can't agree about that. ;)

On the homepage of their website they have both O and 0. With O seemingly the most commonly used.

Jason

I did once hear a guy at a show say "I'm thinking of doing a nought gauge layout" . . . . I guess it could be confusing to the novice?

I remember reading an article in, I think, the Independent Saturday supplement, on holidaying in Switzerland and Austria. The writer was quite enthusiastic about using the railways to get about, without seeming to know too much about the infrastructure. I puzzled a little about what he meant by the "single gauge" lines through the mountainous areas. Monorail? No, he must have been conflating the terms "single track" and "narrow gauge". I did write to the editor about it, but it seems that the matter wasn't considered to be of sufficient interest or importance to merit an acknowledgement.

Ps: Unless he'd come across some dual-gauge trackage, which might also have caused confusion.

Edited by bluebottle

Although, that is not really a modelling annoyance. 

No, I was merely musing on how little those without some ingrained understanding of how railways work understand what they see, and those of us who know a little more should be patient with them and hope for tolerance from those who (as was said of Thomas Babington Macaulay) not only overflow with knowledge but stand in the slop...

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ebay sales of wagons which are listed as O instead of 0 gauge and do not state whether the wheels are fine or coarse scale. It's not always easy to tell from the pics.

Any eBay sale of model railway items that uses the words "Rare" and "Collectible". About as rare as rocking horse hair, usually.

• RMweb Premium

Any eBay sale of model railway items that uses the words "Rare" and "Collectible". About as rare as rocking horse hair, usually.

Or "professionally weathered" otherwise known as looking like it's dipped in *** mud.

Cheers,

MIck